Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY wind turbines on Nationwide?

Options
  • 15-08-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Might seem a silly question but i couldn't find any info on the rte website about the people who teach others to build their own wind turbines?
    Am interested in learning more about things that I can do myself rather than paying an "expert" when I don't need to.
    Did anyone else see the show last night (fri 14-aug) which featured a few types of renewable energy being explored in Ireland?
    Was better than anything duncan has done lately or any of those "rte eco shows" for that matter. Fair play to nationwide! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

lots of eco generation on that episode!

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1053650

12:30 for the OP topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 solarman

Yes it was very good it was a Hugh Piggott turbine and his web site is:
    http://www.scoraigwind.com/

And the workshop in Gort in September is at:
    http://www.buildyourownwindturbine.com/index.php/gort09

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

This episode is a repeat of one that was aired back in Jan or Feb...

I would just like to know what levels of power is generated by this, compaired to a commercially available generator.
    I do not think that you would get the consistancy or efficency from the diy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 anghealach

Thanks for all the feedback :)
    I have spend a few hours today reading through Hugh Piggotts website, scoraigwind, and he has me convinced. This guy has been building and designing these turbines for over thirty years. I reckon you don't do something for that long without getting good at it.
    With the cost of a commercially available turbine being way outside my budget I am definitely into trying this method out instead.
    One thing that I really like is that if you build it yourself you can probably fix most anything that needs fixing yourself - now that is the sustainable lifestyle I want.
    As for the comment querying the consistency or efficiency of a diy turbine - hopefully I can let you know next year after I have built one and used it awhile. I am not easliy convinced that just because I buy something made in a factory it is going to do everything that it promises - I see new cars breaking down as well as old ones :)
    The question about output generated is a good one, I am guessing the answer will be in the book I have just bought from Piggott on how to build your own turbine (it's prob also on the website somewhere, just haven't read everything yet).
    kierank01 wrote: »
    This episode is a repeat of one that was aired back in Jan or Feb...

I would just like to know what levels of power is generated by this, compaired to a commercially available generator.
    I do not think that you would get the consistancy or efficency from the diy one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement