Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero/Rock Band and so on...

Options
  • 15-08-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I'm just wondering that with all the popularity of things like Guitar Hero and Rock Band and all these different music based computer games, are these putting off young 'uns picking up the actual instruments and learning?

There was a South Park episode recently where Cartman was this renowned Guitar Hero player. He was out with his friends and they urged him to show his skills. He took out the "guitar" and proceded to play. Naturally all you could hear was clicks.

Is this the future? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

You play guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

It's only a game. Anyone who really wants to play a guitar will go ahead and learn the instrument. The game is nothing like playing a real guitar.

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What it does do, is get kids interested in some great music that they would most likely not have checked out without playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im never as happy as the people are in the adds. My father almost never wants to play Rock Band with me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I do play guitar.

I just see kids doing what's popular with their friends. If playing "Welcome To The Jungle" on expert is more popular than actually picking up a guitar, surely kids will do that?

My hope is that something like Guitar Hero would give kids an interest and they'd then pick up a guitar. However, as kids are impatient little buggers and we live in a society of instant gratification, they may give up when they find they can't play "Master of Puppets" on the real thing as expertly as the electronic one.

• Advertisement

My personal opinion on these games is the same as shared by Sharon Marsh in South Park. If kids put the same amount of effort into learning the real thing they'd be much better off, rather than mastering a game and then dumping it when you get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm just wondering that with all the popularity of things like Guitar Hero and Rock Band and all these different music based computer games, are these putting off young 'uns picking up the actual instruments and learning?

There was a South Park episode recently where Cartman was this renowned Guitar Hero player. He was out with his friends and they urged him to show his skills. He took out the "guitar" and proceded to play. Naturally all you could hear was clicks.

Its Stan and Kyle who are the two legendary Guitar Hero players, going for 1000000 points. Cartman just sits back drinking coke in that episode as far as I remember.

Also, Stan was at a meeting wiht his manager, who was trying to pair him with a player better than Kyle. The new player was asked to show his talent, and played acoustically, to the enojyment of the whole restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm loathe to actually calling these games in the true sense of the word but that's probably just me showing my age...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

They're games, no different to any other video game you pick up to simulate other situations. You'll always get the one moron who'll say "That's only a plastic guitar, go and learn how to play a real one!" What they fail to realize is that nobody actually believes playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band is on par with an actual guitar. It's a video game.

Why don't these idiots yell at you to enlist in the armed forces because you play Call of Duty 4 too much? Ah sure it's not a real gun, right? Stop wasting your life and become a free runner because you're playing too much Mirror's Edge.

I hate the elitism associated with games like these, people just take it too seriously. Grow the f*ck up and just have fun with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've been playing the arcade version quite a bit recently...although i dont play real guitar myself i've been told by guitar and bass players its very very different from the real thing, like not being able to play some songs decently on the game you could play blindfolded on a real instrument! I may pick up playing guitar itself in the new year:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Did you just make this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Did you just make this up?

Nope.He just got it really really mixed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Completely mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Riverpineapple

Confused?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There was a South Park episode recently where Cartman was this renowned Guitar Hero player. He was out with his friends and they urged him to show his skills. He took out the "guitar" and proceeded to play. Naturally all you could hear was clicks.

Dear lord, I hope not!
    I like blue grass myself but its hard to stop smoking it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Riverpineapple

Blue grass, explain yourself you idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Away with you,Troll.
    Banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

:( I'sa no idiot, my mamma say I'sa good boy!

Blue grass:
    Bluegrass music is a form of American roots music, and is a sub-genre of country music. It has roots in Irish, West African, Scottish, Welsh and English traditional music. Bluegrass was inspired by the music of immigrantsUnited Kingdom and Ireland (particularly the Scots-Irish immigrantsAppalachia), and African-Americans, particularly through genres such as jazz and blues. In bluegrass, as in jazz, each instrument takes its turn playing the melody and improvising around it, while the others perform accompaniment. This is in contrast to old-time music, in which all instruments play the melody together or one instrument carries the lead throughout while the others provide accompaniment. Traditional bluegrass is typically based around acoustic stringed instruments, such as mandolin, acoustic guitar, banjo, fiddle, resonator guitar and upright bass, with or without vocals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass_music

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band is pretty challenging though, I have friends who can play real guitar who are rubbish at both games, obviously its not the same thing but anyone who thinks there no skill in playing the games is deluding themselves, its not a substitute for playing the real thing but thats like saying if you're good at Fifa 2009 you may as well try out for a football team, they're only games

Advertisement