Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat dog

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I know someone who has a one year old bitch who gets fed too much. I was looking after her while they were away and I brought her to the vet to get weighed and some advice on getting it down (it was free, thank god). She weighed about 9.5kg she's meant to be 6-7kg. She's now on a diet (no more bit's of sandwiches everything else) I'm also walking her more. She's been on it for 3 days while the owners were away, they came back today and said that she is already easier to pick up. I made a deal with the owners that if they stick to her diet I'll keep bringing her on long walks.

The thing is one of the owners asked me what problems would the weight cause and all I could think of was, that it would be bad for her joints. I'm not going back to the vets for about a week and a half. So is there anyone here that can tell me the problems of her being fat?

The owners were quite shocked at her weight and I think they didn't notice as much because they see her every day and she really started gaining weight after being neutered but, I don't see them as often so about a week ago I was shocked when I saw her, poor thing is finding jumping harder and she's gotten slower too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's like with people being in denial blaming other things for being over weight when it's actually simply too much of the wrong food and not enough excercise..having put on a couple of stone quickly I know! lol

Weight on a dog, as with us humans, can cause joint problems, heart problems, respiratory issues, diabetes etc. Diabetes is very common in dogs, too many sugary biscuits even some dog treats and food contains sugar.

It's impossible to get through some owners, I know a few people that really need to change their pets diets the poor animals are struggling with their weight but they just won't listen. So good for you for getting them to see the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Thanks, I was thinking it might be the same as people but just wasn't sure. The owners love this dog to bits, as do I. She was getting scraps from the table (whenever any of them ate anything she would get something, it adds up when there's four people giving her food) I've a feeling that she didn't get much excercise, which is why I made the deal that they keep her on the diet and I'll walk her. I think I scared them a little about going to the vet with her

Advertisement