Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three red dots, wide triangle formation, west co. clare, 13.8.09, 10pm

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see this???

I didn't see this myself but both my mom and dad did... it was drawn to their attention by a passerby who noticed it and wondered if they knew what it was...

It was made up of three "dots"(for lack of a better word) slightly bigger than stars, red/orange hue, fading in and out and moving across the sky slowly. After about 10/20 minutes it totally faded out and didn't reappear...

It was in the general north area. The dots were too wide to be a normal plane... To the naked eye they appeared to be maybe 2-4 inches apart from what i was told...

Anyone know what they were???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Jakobyte - sounds like they were military satellites. I think the US Navy has a formation of three in a triangle shape kicking around. I saw a formation of four in a diamond shape a few years back - it was pretty spectacular and a bit creepy.

Of course, I've no idea what they do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

dmcdona wrote: »
    Jakobyte - sounds like they were military satellites. I think the US Navy has a formation of three in a triangle shape kicking around. I saw a formation of four in a diamond shape a few years back - it was pretty spectacular and a bit creepy.

Of course, I've no idea what they do :D
    I've since been told that someone was releasing Chinese laterns and that this is what they were... It was just chance that they stayed together... Whether this is what they saw or whether it was satellites I don't know... Sounds weird though...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

chinese laterns yes , but it was string that kept them together , common practice to do this as it looks great, and causes a few extra threads (scuze me) in this forum.

hth

Advertisement