Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying gear in Lanzarote

Options
  • 14-08-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I'm well aware of the horror stories of buying cameras etc. in Lanzarote (and if you're not, and ever considered it, google cameras lanzarote first). However there are some good deals out there. I desperately want the Nikon 50mm f1.4g, but can't afford it at "normal" prices. Anyone been out there recently and seen any for sale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

When I was over there last year the reps recommended only one shop and that was in Puerto Del Carmen. I did visit the shop but the prices were exactly the same as over here.

After reading a few online rants there are a few tips if you maintain you still want to buy it:
    • Use cash. Don't use a credit card as skimming is common.
    • Check the product before and after sale before leaving the shop. Turn it on and try it out before handing over money.
    When I was over there last year I got offered a Canon 450D for €300. There is no way that is possible. It's either stolen or fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well my usual trick is to go in speaking English, with some friends outside, ask the price, go through the rigmarole, then, when we've agreed the price I call in my Lanzarotean friends, and we discuss in Spanish what a great deal it is. Two of three things happen after this:
    1. The first thing that happens is that a look of horror passes over the salesperson's face.
    2. They suddenly discover that they actually don't have any more of that item in stock, and won't have it until 2 days after your flight (they will always ask early on when your flight is - one trick they use is to say they're out of stock, but will be getting it in just before you leave, and they'll kindly offer to send someone to the airport with your item about 30 seconds before the flight closes). OR
    3. They have a nervous breakdown and start offering free things (small bits like filters, packs of "Durocel" batteries) in an effort to get you the hell out of their shop.

If you go into Arecife, or the Visanta stores however there are some good deals sometimes due to the duty free status of the islands. Obviously these are about 3 times the price of other shops, but are sometimes up to 20% cheaper than at home or in the UK.

Anyway, anyone been out there recently and seen the 1.4g for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

Just back from a week's hols in Lanzarote. As on previous visits I visited Visanta in Puerto del Carmen. Bought a few filters and an SD Micro card. Checked the price of the Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 and it came to €420. Hadn't checked the price here before I left so couldn't make a decision.

I always call there when I go there on hols for a browse and/or to buy something and the older guy with the moustache recognised me. We chatted about this and that and must say I find them reputable. There is no haggling with their price unlike other shops in the strip.

They also have a shop in Areciffe, on the opposite side of the road from the "Grand Hotel". Its a bigger shop with a larger stock. Bus to there is only abt €3 - €4 and 15 minutes drive. Could be worth a visit on a dull day !!!

I am not associated in any way with Visanta, only relaying my experiences.

Denis

kenwood wrote: »
    Checked the price of the Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 and it came to €420.
    This one?
    I find them reputable. There is no haggling with their price unlike other shops in the strip.

They also have a shop in Areciffe, on the opposite side of the road from the "Grand Hotel". Its a bigger shop with a larger stock.
    I am not associated in any way with Visanta, only relaying my experiences.

Yeah, they're decent blokes and very deliberately shy away from the shyster image - no haggling, no tricks, you get what you see and you pay the sticker price, end of. There's one or two other stores that are trying to head that way, but it's hard to pick them out of the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

Yep, thats the one...........

Well I wouldn't mind paying the "stickier price" as if its on the cheep side its bound to be too good to be true - and you know what the saying is there !!!

• Advertisement

kenwood wrote: »
    - and you know what the saying is there !!!

"A fool and his money are soon the proud owners of a brick"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Great info.. I'm off to Lanzorote in 2 weeks time, I've found their website prices seem ok I've not had a chance to view it properly yet.

It appears Kea is cheaper for the G10, I'll wait two weeks and see if it'c different in shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beaver Corky

My wife was in Playa del ingles recently, & visited the Visanta store to purchase a gift for me. She decided on a new mobile phone, which set her back around 60Euro. When I set it up here it worked like a charm-except for one item. It would not send Text messages to anyone! After trying all I knew ,(which isn't much), I asked three other people to try & sort it out....to no avail. I then took it to my network outlet, where they adjusted some settings, But it still wouldn't work. Today I tried the Nokia centre to see if they could help. They sure did. They informed me the phone had been sold in Spain in 2005. The warranty expired after 25 months, 10-12-2007!According to "Nicky", the nice salesman in the store, this was "the very latest model" !!!! [ I do have the receipt and "worldwide Guarantee" signed by this individual.]
    I know this is a different Island, but it is the same store, as the above mentioned document has the Puerto del Carmen address over stamped with the Playa del Ingles one.
    Just thought people would like to know the other side of those nice people in Visanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

My wife was in Playa del ingles recently,
    BORING!!
    What's your point? You bought an almost decade old phone and thought it was brand new and you decide to tell people you don't know on a camera forum about it?

My point is Visanta are not the squeaky clean traders some people think. And I did not buy the gear. The person that purchased it was assured by the salesman, that it was "the very latest model". She trusted him to tell the truth ! Do you really think he would only lie when he is selling phones, & not when he is selling cameras and other equipment??

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1 Mr Muck

My point is Visanta are not the squeaky clean traders some people think. And I did not buy the gear. The person that purchased it was assured by the salesman, that it was "the very latest model". She trusted him to tell the truth ! Do you really think he would only lie when he is selling phones, & not when he is selling cameras and other equipment??

Sounds to me you should be allowing your missus out unsupervised ! Seriously is she all there buying a heap of junk like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What is 'Caveat emptor' in Spanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The person that purchased it was assured by the salesman, that it was "the very latest model".
    People like that shouldn't have control of their own finances.

I didn't know there were so many MORONS reading this forum!!! I only wanted to alert people to the folly of shopping in this particular store, which has very good reviews on this , & other sites. But you can't help moronic twits, who won't help themselves.!!!!!! Talk about shooting the messenger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Effects wrote: »
    BORING!!
    What's your point? You bought an almost decade old phone and thought it was brand new and you decide to tell people you don't know on a camera forum about it?
    steady on there; if people were discussing a shop in a positive light which turns out to have been selling secondhand gear as new, it's definitely pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I didn't know there were so many MORONS reading this forum!!! I only wanted to alert people to the folly of shopping in this particular store, which has very good reviews on this , & other sites. But you can't help moronic twits, who won't help themselves.!!!!!! Talk about shooting the messenger

Really? When you Google Visanta the first few results have 'BEWARE' in the title.

I think the 'MORONS' were doing just fine without your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this thread is not very nice to read first thing in the morning. can we leave out the personal insults & junk. that goes for a few of you! else i'll have to close this thread.

/mod note.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if ther is very little in price I will alwys try to give business to Irish shop - God knows , they need the business - but also , most shops offer great backup services , if something does go wrong with a foreign purchase - nightmare scenario

Buy Irish :)

where you can

Advertisement