Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route cork city to kilkenny city?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

Whats the best route to take help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd go Cork - Fermoy - Cahir- Clonmel - Kilkenny (via Callan)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd almost definitely take the M8 to Urlingford (around 1 hour 15 mins I'd say), then take the R693 to Kilkenny via Freshford. Kilkenny is well signed form Urlingford, about 20/25 mins away.
    You could also go via Clonmel M8/N24/N76 though it is an inferior road now, may as well take advantage of the new M8, far faster and safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I second mfitzy's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

thanks guys wasnt on the m8 yet up that area is there a sign where to come off at urlingford

thanks guys wasnt on the m8 yet up that area is there a sign where to come off at urlingford

Yes, well signed at the R693 junction for Kilkenny/Urlingford/Freshford- there's even a sign for KK Castle as well, you cannot miss it! It is quite straightforward. Actually, it's the road I would definitely take now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

mfitzy wrote: »
    I'd almost definitely take the M8 to Urlingford (around 1 hour 15 mins I'd say), then take the R693 to Kilkenny via Freshford. Kilkenny is well signed form Urlingford, about 20/25 mins away.
    You could also go via Clonmel M8/N24/N76 though it is an inferior road now, may as well take advantage of the new M8, far faster and safer.

+1 to this.

I've done both routes in the last 2 weeks. Going to Urlingford is technically longer but works out faster than going via Cahir/Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id guess it would depend on where in KK city you were heading...its a pig to get across sometimes...

was actually goin north of kilkenny city to paulstown, i took the m8 to urlingford, got from leavin southside cork city to paulstown in 2 hrs flat so was pretty happy with that.
    The urlingford to kk suited cause i could slip past without goin to the town centre just crossed bridge and got onto the dublin road.

Gee that is good going! M8 is a fantastic road.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Last time I travelled this route I went on exactly the route that mike65 suggested. Mind you the other road has improved since so perhaps that's a better option now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

When I was going there I had to go into the centre of Kilkenny so maybe the route I took is still the best option.

the m8 really is a good road, but in fairness a motorway, its a glorified dual carriageway. Most other european countries wouldnt call it a motorway.

the m8 really is a good road, but in fairness a motorway, its a glorified dual carriageway. Most other european countries wouldnt call it a motorway.

What kind of nonsense is this? It is as good as, if not superior to, the German A3, A7, A9 and A70 in many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its a fine road and whats more, its empty...try the M4 or M40 in the UK and see three solid lanes of traffic all day

corktina wrote: »
    its a fine road and whats more, its empty...try the M4 or M40 in the UK and see three solid lanes of traffic all day

Exactly, it's an absolute pleasure. Driving the motorways in the UK requires total concentration as the traffic can just suddenly back up due to sheer volume. And the outside lane is pure HGVs in many instances. The likes of the M8 here are empty in comparison.

Furet wrote: »
    What kind of nonsense is this? It is as good as, if not superior to, the German A3, A7, A9 and A70 in many places.

I just find from driving around spain, france that motorways were of far higher quailty, more lanes wide , proper rest areas with petrol stations etc, and this would be between citys in a region not the capital and second busiest city

The m8 is between the 2 biggest citys in the country and im not saying its a bad road or anythin i found it great to drive on , i know there are no tolls bar the bypass in cork. But i just didnt think it was anythin special a lot of the dual carriage ways in cork were built to a near enough standard .
    I just cant help but thinking what will it be like in 10 years time still nice and quiet?

I just find from driving around spain, france that motorways were of far higher quailty, more lanes wide , proper rest areas with petrol stations etc, and this would be between citys in a region not the capital and second busiest city

The amount of lanes is determined solely by traffic volume. Just because one motorway has six lanes and another only four, the larger isn't better; it just means it handles more traffic. What matters is alignment, surfacing, sightlines. The M8 is an excellent motorway by anyone's standards under these criteria. Autobahn 9 in Germany is a disgrace along certain sections - no hard shoulder, sharp bends, bumpy concrete surface. The M8 trounces it.
    But I think you're totally right about the rest areas and petrol stations.

The surface of the m8 is perfect and alignment , a lovely road to drive.
    They do need a petrol station somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Just like to second that the M8 is as good as or better than most motorways in Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement