Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I just completed the leaving cert and like everyone else got my results. I was very disappointed as I failed maths. Now I know how important maths is for college but just wanted to know what my options are now (besides repeating). I tried calling the Irish times helpline as well as the national parents council but had no luck getting an answer.

I just have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Wait untill monday for cao, depends on your course whether you'd meet the requirements, most need a pass in maths though.

Failing that maybe a plc or something and you can repeat you maths next year (presuming you have the points), you could repeat only maths and do it ordinary level. Or else you could repeat the whole thing i suppose?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

how many points have you got and what courses have you applied for? Some university courses (even high point ones) don't ask for a pass in maths.

if you get nothing monday you can look at the 'vacant places' list on www.cao.ie and you can apply for any course there that you fulfil the matriculation requirements for from tuesday. More courses will be added to that list as the cao rounds progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

what college are you plannin on going to?

Some colleges allow you to enter if you pass a supplemental exam in maths in the college before starting. Wait 'til Monday and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Even if you're not offered anything on Monday you might as well view your maths script and see if a few marks could be scraped together to bring you up to a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

The problem with my points are they were shameful. As in way worse than I had been expecting even when I knew I had done poorly.
    Piste wrote: »
    Even if you're not offered anything on Monday you might as well view your maths script and see if a few marks could be scraped together to bring you up to a pass.
    I was hoping that too but rechecking doesn't give results until october, meaning it would be too late for most courses.

My first choice is completely out of the question as it was 450 points but my second choice was only 240 points which I got. This was Creative digital media (bn112) in the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown. But of course it needed a pass in maths.

Another thought was my first level 7 course which was again, creative digital media in the same place (bn021). But it states that it needs 5 passed subjects at ordinary level including maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

if you pass maths in the recheck and meet the matriculation, the college will write to you and offer you a place in the course that year (late registration), and if there are no places available this year you may be offered a place on next years course.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

If you did get your maths rechecked and your points did go up it wouldn't be to late for your courses because if you have the nessessary course requirments, they will more than likely offer you a place.
    Why don't you ring a few places offering PLC courses and see what's on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

i know a guy who failed math last yr and did mechanical engineering (level 6) yr 1 in tallaght (wasnt even on his CAO) and he got into CIT (year 2) level 7 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

A couple of college offer re-sits for those who failed maths in the next few weeks. It was in the paper the other day. you have to be applying for some of their courses i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

The IT's do offer a special maths exam for people in your exact position, they have one in GMIT anyway, ask your school if they know about one or even call up Blanchardstown IT

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

I rang Blanchardstown IT a while back in hopes that they did do that maths exam. Turns out they don't.

I've come to the conclusion that even if I were to take a PLC course things would be harder after that with a fail in maths on my record. Unless I can manage a pass in maths on my recheck, I think I'll be repeating. It seems like the best option. I just didn't want to have to choose it.

Thanks for the help all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Good luck with repeating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Good luck man, it won't be that hard at all to pass if it's the only subject you do repeat. From what I hear the year does fly by when repeating, so it'll be this time next year before you know it. Best of luck :D

Advertisement