Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grind schools?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Just wondering if all/any of you high achievers in the leaving have attended grind schools or just ordinary local ones? Is it really that much of an advantage to attend them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Just wondering if all/any of you high achievers in the leaving have attended grind schools or just ordinary local ones? Is it really that much of an advantage to attend them?

Well, i went to one and didnt think it was a HUGE advantage but got on really well in the leaving.For instance,we didnt get the irish,biology and maths courses fully covered and some of the stuff we left out came up!
    However,it was a big help to me as i am sport mad and the fact that the school didnt offer any extracurricular activities allowed me to focus on study.Overall,i think if one is willin to study hard in his/her own school then a private school is not much of an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I wouldn't say it would make a huge difference: dosers won't magically become straight A students because they're paying more for their education and workers will probably achieve the same results no matter what school they go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Dante

Sorry, misread the title.
    Anyways from my sister's experience, if you're motivated and willing to work they are a great benefit but if you sit back and do nothing they are a waste of time and money....same with public schools I suppose.

On another note, if anyone wants a years worth of institute history or french notes around North Dublin give me a pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

In most grind schools, the first thing they tell you is that they cant do anything for you if you dont do the work, which is absoloutly true...

From my experience, the main advantage is that all of your teachers are excellent. Most of the teachers in my old school were really good, but I had 2 or 3 who were terrible, and I ended up working twice as hard for the subjects and most people got grinds in those subjects. Grind schools are very focused on the exam and theres a wide range of subjects. They give you all the tools you need to get a good leaving, then you have to sit down and do the work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

If you're willing to do work yourself, it doesn't matter what school you go to. Grinds schools can help, but they're not absolutely necessary to get good grades. I got 7 A1's from a school that was nothing like a grind school... had some woeful teachers.

It depends on yourself, and what your willing to put into it.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement