Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need HELP with hair

Options
  • 14-08-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've been doing DIY jobs on my hair colour for about 7 years now and it's always worked out pretty well but I need serious help with my next venture - I want to go white/lightest blonde possible. (I'm female!)

I currently have a darkish colour in my hair which I intend to strip and my natural colour is medium-dark brown.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the best bleaching products in the supply stores about Dublin and should I buy separate bleaching and whitening kits? I'm aware that it'll probably take a couple of sessions and I'm willing to look like an eejit with orangey hair for a while in between if that's necessary!

I used the white Stargazer on a few sections of my hair once just as an experiment (but it's only semi-permanent and I didn't keep it that long.) It worked before would it be worthwhile using it on my whole head?

Dunno if it's relevant but my hair is about 3 inches below my shoulders which I'll get trimmed afterwards to get rid of the damaged ends...

Cheers to anyone that responds!

PS I know that this is really a job for the professionals but I'm a skint student (ie I'd rather spend my extra cash on booze) so no need to even bother suggesting it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 suzie_q

Well its always harder to go from dark to light than light to dark. I used to do home jobs on my hair too when it was light and I find that if you build up the colour it will work out better in the long run (highlights). If you get a normal home dying slightly lighter than your own and work up from that, use tinfoil to put the highlights. Could do it like once a month. In the salon I get a half a head one month and full head the next didnt take too long for me to go from dark to blonde. That way you wont go the dreaded orange! Also you can go to the salon where they are training can get it done for a lot cheaper and sometimes they even do it for free!!!
    Hope this helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Good luck, but it's quite difficult and you could easily destroy your hair.
    I was getting highlights for years and decided to bleach my roots myself.
    I live abroad at the moment where the professional colours can be bought over the counter so I was using strong bleaches as well as toners and it just never looked right. Not to mention I literally destroyed it and it took a 14 hour deep conditioning treatment to get it somewhat soft again. No matter how much I bleached or toned it, it always looked cheap and flat. If you do go ahead and bleach the whole lot (and tone if afterwards) put a few small brown streaks through it to break it up cos flat blonde colour is not nice.

There's a blog written by a Hollywood hairdresser, she goes into a lot of detail about hair colour and care, the blog is called Killer Strands and she has an online store too so you can buy the products she talks about. I used Wella bleach and it got my hair from near black to pale yellow in about an hour.

In the end I went back to my natural colour (I was sick of bleaching the roots every few weeks) and I'm really happy with it. The condition of it is so much better, i did not realise how damaged my hair was (even when i got it done professionally) until I went dark again. I don't need to straighten it all the time because the dryness and frizz is gone, so I can let it dry naturally now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I'm in the stage of trying to go blonde aswell.

I had dyed black hair for about 10yrs. Then i bleached it and the first half went white and the last half turned orange!

So i went to a hair salon and they put a chocloate brown over it and girl in the hair salon said i can't go blonde.

So i'm starting it again this time i'm going to go a shade lighter each time.

At the moment it's redish brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I had dyed black hair for about 10yrs. Then i bleached it and the first half went white and the last half turned orange!

So i went to a hair salon and they put a chocloate brown over it and girl in the hair salon said i can't go blonde.

What's your natural hair colour? Did she say you can't go blonde full stop or that you couldn't go blonde because of the colour/condition of your hair at the time? Anyone can go blonde, it's just a question of what strength your bleach is and how long you leave it in for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

So i'm starting it again this time i'm going to go a shade lighter each time.

At the moment it's redish brown.

Oh jesus lol white and orange, all you need is a bit of green and you can be the Irish flag.

I take it you means your roots went white ( because it's virgin hair ) you just needed to put more bleach on the ends to lift it that bit more.

The only reason a hairdresser would say you cant go blonde is because the condition of your hair, they wouldn't turn you away otherwise. It can be done just remember TREATMENTS TREATMENTS TREATMENTS. and lay off the bowdrying and straightners for a while.

There's no point really saying this as i doubt the other girl whole wants to go platimun blonde will listen but i have a little horror story for you:-

Got a desperate call from a friend of mine to 'fix' one of her friends hair. Another so called friend had tried to bleach her hair for her. First of all she used the wrong bleach, hadn't used the correct ratio for the bleach/peroxide and hadn't a clue what she was doing. To say it was a mess was an understatement. She had chemical burns all over her head, then to try and fix it she had put a chocolate brown over it thinking it would magically fix the mess she had made. She had very long hair and i had to cut off nearly all of it, into a graduated bob ( well the bits that hadn't broken off ) She was crying with the pain as i couldn't even run a comb through her hair it hurt so much.

Afterwards the stupid girl asked me when did i think she would be able to go blonde again!!!! didn't listen to a word that i told her and i found out a week later she had tried to bleach her hair again, needless to say she doesn't have much hair left, there are bald patches all over her head, all because she couldn't wait a few months for her hair to grow cut it, and then start again.

Now this is an extreme case but please be careful, there has to be at least one person you know that has some hairdressing experience that can help you do this. Even someone you know that is training that would have some knowledge.

Good luck because your going to need it. Let us know how it turns out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Thanks for the advice :)

I don't use bleach anymore i only used it once and it dryed out my hair, i'm using organic dyes from holland and barret. i'm also using a silver shampoo.

The hairdresser said that black organic hair dye has metallic salts and this is the reason i'm left with the orange colour so any colour i put over it is sticking to it. :eek:

Advertisement