Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellery Heist

Options
  • 14-08-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Had a look to see if I could see anything about this but couldn’t so apologies if I only ‘half looked’ as the mother would say.

Anyway I’m sure by now everyone is aware of the jewellery heist in London where they got off with £40 million worth of lovely sparkly jewels. They had this very well planned, with three getaway cars, the guy on the bike they handed the bag to, the talk of them using prosthetic masks. They also seemed to ask for specific jewellery. There were shots fired but nobody was hurt and the shots were fired into the ground or into the air.

I know it’s terrible but I’m actually kind of rooting for them, now if it was my house or my things I would be very unhappy but these jewellery people I’m sure are insured up to the hilt. Now I would never normally condone violence or teaft of any kind but I do think that all the heist movies that have been made over the many, many years have had some kind of effect on me and when I hear of a well planned one like this I get all caught up in the drama and movies like Ocean’s Eleven (the original is best), The Heist, The Italian Job and The Inside Man come to mind.

So whose side do you come down on in this very well and let’s face it very like a movie storyline scenario? And if you were to pick a heist movie in which to base an operation on what would it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im glad TV affects you in such a fashion. Please refrain from watching Schindlers List or Falling Down.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm always rooting for the old granny who kicks the robber in the nuts. Where was she in this heist?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Contrary to the image portrayed by Michael Caine, thieves are not funny, suave, sophisticated or moral. They're gougers, plain and simple, with no more appeal than Deco from Fettercairn and they'd stab you, sh*t in your mouth and burn your body if you looked at them crosseyed.
    The size of the haul doesn't dictate the "classiness" of the criminal. They're all dirt.

You're rooting for the scum of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yeah being robbed at gunpoint is always good for the lolz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

TheZohan wrote: »
    Yeah being robbed at gunpoint is always good for the lolz.

agreed.spaggiari did a much better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Grimes wrote: »
    Im glad TV affects you in such a fashion. Please refrain from watching Schindlers List or Falling Down.
    Cheers

I never liked that anyway, but the other two were interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, wanna buy a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

OP, wanna buy a watch?

Got any sparkly diamonds?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Never mind if they fired into the air or into the ground. If you know anything about firearms you'll know that a low velocity bullet from a handgun ricochets easily from a hard surface and could have killed or wounded someone. Equally when fired into the air it's still potentially very dangerous on it's downward trajectory as it retains enough energy to do serious damage given it's stabilised trajectory ( rifled barrel ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Never mind if they fired into the air or into the ground. If you know anything about firearms you'll know that a low velocity bullet from a handgun ricochets easily from a hard surface and could have killed or wounded someone. Equally when fired into the air it's still potentially very dangerous on it's downward trajectory as it retains enough energy to do serious damage given it's stabilised trajectory ( rifled barrel ).

Yes, and don't forget to ask an adult's help when using scissors.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They're jewellery thieves robbing people, no matter how insured this crowd were, it's still a terrifying experience for the people working in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I know it’s terrible but I’m actually kind of rooting for them

Would you have rooted for Martin Cahill when he robbed a Jewelers which resulted in the loss of 100 jobs? More than the owners are affected by things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I'd be ironic if the perpetrators decided to flee the country with the goodies and happenend to fly with an airline which outsources to Serviceair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

What's this about a heist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

OP do you listen to Gary Glitter cds aswell? (bad joke)...im more of a pirate i want to hijack a ship and make people walk the plank!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The entertainment industry, 99% of the time, seems to portray these characters as if they're social workers, only carrying guns for show.

The Americans must be on 100th movie remake of Dillinger now, and he was a pleasant fellow, helping old ladies across the street, and being a Robin Hood type hero, instead of mostly robbing banks, shooting people and getting the clap from hookers.

At the other end of the scale is The Krays movie, where the pair of vicious, psychotic bastards were actually portrayed as a pair of vicious psychotic bastards.

Advertisement