Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Age Diff

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Guys,

I am looking for peoples view on this. What is your opinion on a girl 29 years (me) old dating a guy who is just 24 years old. An age gap of 5 years. We get on really well and have a laugh. But I am concerned with the age thing. FYI I am not looking for anything serious yet I just want to hang out and have some fun, which we are doing. If it turns out into something more serious great. But I suppose I am concerned what other people might think or even if I am struggling with standards I set for myself in that past regards an acceptable age difference. Just looking for opinions thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Cato2605 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am looking for peoples view on this. What is your opinion on a girl 29 years (me) old dating a guy who is just 24 years old. An age gap of 5 years. We get on really well and have a laugh. But I am concerned with the age thing. FYI I am not looking for anything serious yet I just want to hang out and have some fun, which we are doing. If it turns out into something more serious great. But I suppose I am concerned what other people might think or even if I am struggling with standards I set for myself in that past regards an acceptable age difference. Just looking for opinions thanks.

That really is a very small age difference Cato, dont worry its not going to have an effect. As long as you two get on- happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Cato2605 wrote: »
    But I suppose I am concerned what other people might think or even if I am struggling with standards I set for myself in that past regards an acceptable age difference. Just looking for opinions thanks.

Let them think what they want ............................... everyone in life has opinions and you'll never ever have 100% of people agreeing with everything you do, so the best thing is to do what makes you happy and f**k it if people don't like it.

It's not a big age difference anyway ............ if you were 50 and he was 17 it would be different!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

It’s not even a case of not worrying what other people think. I don’t believe anyone will think anything. It’s hardly a shock for two people in their twenties to be going out with each other. I, for one, wouldn’t flinch even if it was my business.
    If the concern is only in your head and you don’t care what others deem to be acceptable then the only time I’d see a five year age gap as a possible problem would be if you were working and he was still in college. From experience, I’d question the maturity level of college students, but if he is out in the workforce and is a mature acting man then I don’t see any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

dont think anyone will care, the only thing they may be thinking,as this is what Id be thinking, is that you are at 2 different maturity levels. If it gets more serious you may have a completely different way of thinking than he will, 24 isnt young though. Its just I really believe that women mature more quickly than men and so the age gap may in the long run start having affects.
    But that wouldnt be enough to stop me seeing someone if I really liked them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

That's not a big age gap really. Is it any different to 30 and 35 or 40 and 45? It wouldn't be acceptable if he was 12 and you were 17 but that's not the case. What's more important is that you get on great and that you are on the same plane when it comes to maturity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

go for it alot of my friends have gf between 3 - 6 years older and im in my mid 20's.
    For men the rule of thumb or so i heard is take your age divide it by 2 than add 7. so why should it be any different for women. and if you feel that he is perfect for you what should u care what other people think after all your happiness counts noone elses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

There are only two people who need to worry if the age gap is a possible issue.

You and Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I'm 27, herself is 34. Enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Get em young,treat em rough and tell them nuttin. Old Cork saying.

Seriously though - its more about maturity and what you like about each other and attitude to life.

5 years is nothing - my brothers wife is 10 years older than him and they are together 21 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

No difference at all, my firend has the same age difference with his gf. Its not an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 thedeadpoet

No one else's opinion matters as long as you're both happy in each others company. Many others (rather evidently, judging by even this thread alone) really just don't care.

On a personal note, which is relative, generally people consider me to be well ahead of my time and I often attract older females in excess of 10 years (and I'm only 22).

If it makes you happy, do it. I suggest you do not limit your opportunities in life based upon the judgements of others because you will end up miserable. Be free, and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coffee Addict

Are you both happy? Then that is all that matters!
    I am going out with a guy 4 years younger than me, we have been together just over 2 years & I could not be happier I love him with all my heart & soul! I do not care if anyone has an opinion they can keep it to themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

No problem with it as long as you don't want something serious, e.g. when you're 32 and he's 27, you're going to be at very different stages of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coffee Addict

You can worry about that if & when it happens, but if you really love each other you will wait. It maybe frustrating, annoying etc but sure if you are in love whats difference does a few years waiting make?

Advertisement