Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for full cage license and keeping provisional bike license

Options
  • 14-08-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi, I've tried searching the forum but haven't found anything.
    Basically, I have my learner permit for A1,A and B.
    I've just passed the cage test, and am in the process of sending off for the full license. My question is if I apply for the full license what's the procedure regarding my learner permit bike license? Do I get sent back two licenses, ie. a full B and a new learner permit with only the A and A1?
    Any help greatly appreciated..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

-Blanco- wrote: »
    Hi, I've tried searching the forum but haven't found anything.
    Basically, I have my learner permit for A1,A and B.
    I've just passed the cage test, and am in the process of sending off for the full license. My question is if I apply for the full license what's the procedure regarding my learner permit bike license? Do I get sent back two licenses, ie. a full B and a new learner permit with only the A and A1?
    Any help greatly appreciated..!

I cant really answer your question for sure but I would say you will probably get back two licences. I was in a somewhat similar situation. I got my full car licence first and then decided I wanted to get my learner permit for the bike. I ended up keeping the pink car licence and getting a seperate learner permit with the same driver number.

It might be a good idea to stick a note in with your application saying that you want to keep your bike learner permit just incase they dont send one out automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a pain in the ass, but calling into the office may be your best bet.

I suspect you'll need to fill out two forms - one for the full licence and replacement/duplicate request for the bike licence - they'll probably waive any fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

seamus wrote: »
    It's a pain in the ass, but calling into the office may be your best bet.

I suspect you'll need to fill out two forms - one for the full licence and replacement/duplicate request for the bike licence - they'll probably waive any fees.

+1

You can also add another classification for the remaining time left on your B permit for free once you do the theory test and qualify for it, not that's any use to the OP.

OP, why are you applying for A1? A will cover anything you can ride on A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

i had one learner permit for both the car and the bike

i passed my bike test and sent off various bits and bobs to tax office

i got back a full license for the bike only

i rang the tax office. they apologised and said i should have gotten two things back-a full license for the bike and a learner for the car

they said my car permit was in 'scanning' (?) and it would be there for weeks

so they sent me out a permit form with a reference on it. i sent it back with no fee, id, etc. but i did have to include 2 signed photos

i got a car learner permit back

now i have a pink bike license and a green car license

might be no harm to give tax office in question a buzz after you send it in. give them the heads up to expect it and will make sure they do the correct thing (whatever that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll be giving the tax office a call first thing Monday morning..
    Del2005 wrote: »
    +1
    OP, why are you applying for A1? A will cover anything you can ride on A1.

Good point! When I did the bike theory test I received A1,A and M learner permits, it didn't cost extra so I said no harm in having the extra two down..But the plan is to pass the cat A test and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement