Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiple servers, hosting users files from the webserver

• 14-08-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

So, we've 2+ servers, but our main two are our webserver and our users server. Webserver is a powerful little rig, but without masses of space. Users server is the opposite, masses of space, but not too powerful (it's grand, but nothing crazy).

Now, we're in charge of our own domain, so we can write our own domain rules and all that jazz and we're hosting with Apache. What our ultimate goal would be to have is all our users to have their own subdomain, ie username.domain.com, but there's a few irritations to do that.

We don't really want anyone logging into the webserver, bar admins, who have to login through the users server, so we want to keep the amount of registered users on the webserver down to the bare minimum. Because of that, we've a different pool of users between the servers and solutions like mounting users homes wouldn't, I don't think, be the best solution.

But, I don't know. I'm not an Apache, nor server expert and would love some advise on the manner. All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What on earth is your question? What type of environment is this - are you running a small hosting company or is this in an office? Are they Windows servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seaders

Sorry about that, wasn't thinking about those details when I posted, I've not had my morning cofee.

No, I'm an admin of my colleges computing society, and these are all Debian servers. Every semester, new people join up and we register them on the users server, which they have a online space that they can access through Samba in college and WinSCP outside.

My question is how would be the most efficient and safest way to host the files (users public_html folder) off the Users server, by the Webserver, through a domain list like username.domain.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DaveyByrne

Looks to me like you need an enterprise CMS to manage all your stuff... if you were on windows I'd recommend Sharepoint... but since you're on Linux I would recommend Alfresco:

http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Main_Page

I wouldn't attempt to start doling out file and directory shares - one per user - in Apache. That kind of thing is managed by an effective document management system, if you set it up properly.

Advertisement