Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baggage handlers

Options
  • 14-08-2009 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

reports this morning suggest that a load of baggage handlers are under investigation at dublin airport after an anonymous tip off suggested that the stealing of bags has been going on for years..

any baggage handlers on boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well if Ryanair have their way there'll be plenty of baggage handlers on boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Berkut wrote: »
    Well if Ryanair have their way there'll be plenty of baggage handlers on boards :D

They reside in the ranting & raving forum. :P

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

bonkers wrote: »

I'm not an actual baggage handler but on a trip awau earlier ths year I did proceed to take some one elses case off the conveyor belt in the airport, go to another terminal, check in for my next flight and take the bag with me! :D

So, if anyone knows a nice lady from Dundrum who arrived in Auckland, NZ on May 8th this year, tell her I am sorry for possibly ruining her holiday. . . really really sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's been going on for decades. I've had bags opened and riffled through with duty free missing come through the conveyor belt twice at Dublin airport, I've no doubt some of them have been at for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

reports this morning suggest that a load of baggage handlers are under investigation at dublin airport after an anonymous tip off suggested that the stealing of bags has been going on for years..

Link?

I'm too lazy to search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

coco06 wrote: »

Thanks x2

Its not as if people didn't know it happens. It shouldn't, but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

I has 200 cigarettes taken from my bag only 2 weeks ago, I know they were taken in Dublin as I saw the bulge in my bag going onto the plane in Faro.
    I didn't report it because well, I knew nothing would be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Now what we need is an enquiry into postal workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think its about time they cleared house out there. Agree about the postal workers too - probably worse imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Im ringing them now to put a claim in for that 10K in cash that went missing in my bag last week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

Time to start leaving a nice old pair of y fronts with some chocolate spread on em on top of my clothes in my case. That'll stop em going any further ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i was a baggage handler many years ago........well, i used to drive the trolleys of bags to the planes.
    i was never really aware of anyone stealing from bags though, except one guy was suspected of it, and he was set up when they sent a bag down full of ciggarettes and perfumes etc. he did take from it and was fired, and prosectuted.
    thats the only incident i know of. i was there for about a year. but i am sure it goes on..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

few 100 cigs missing from my brothers case a few weeks ago after flying into Dublin airport. Been ringing people and sending letters since and basically been told to F off - you cant prove a thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Thought this was a euphenism for something.

Bit disappointed now. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

GF came back from holidays last year and flew into Belfast. Some perfume and spirits had been taken from her bag. Of course it could have happened at her embarkation point aswell as the arrival point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

GF came back from holidays last year and flew into Belfast. Some perfume and spirits had been taken from her bag. Of course it could have happened at her embarkation point aswell as the arrival point.

And that's the problem. "Wasn't us guvnor! Must have happened in the other airport. So fcuk off!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

being so tired i mis-read this thread as "Badger Handlers"...and i thought, god, i always wanted a pet badger and i could bring him for walks and teach him to catch frizbee. And it would be a real talking point at dinner parties, "a badger? Thats very unusual, how long did it take you to teach him to set the table?"... I want to go back to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Bastards nicked an 80G iPod, 600 smokes and a bottle of aftershave from seperate bags myself and the girlfriend had on holidays last year. *****.

-Funk

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sizzler wrote: »
    Im ringing them now to put a claim in for that 10K in cash that went missing in my bag last week...

i hope you delcared it!
    being so tired i mis-read this thread as "Badger Handlers"...
    i also made this mistake, i was hoping to read something about some sort of badger mauling.

Dublin airport should be more like some smaller airports in Africa, where they stop you, look in your bags and just decide to take what they want right there in front of you. If you say anything you are arrested, if you dont you happilyish board your flight.

At least this way you know exactly what is missing and dont have to sweat thinking did i pack the diamond encrusted shoe horn or did i leave that at home beside the house boys cage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

It wasn't Ryanair it was the Service Air crime syndicate, the dogs on the street even knew the BS that was going on in Dublin

If you lost valuables and lost work time today might be a good day to get in touch with a lawyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

It wasn't Ryanair it was the Service Air crime syndicate, the dogs on the street even knew the BS that was going on in Dublin

If you lost valuables and lost work time today might be a good day to get in touch with a lawyer

I had a pair of adidas trainers, tommy hilfiger shorts, my phone and my shaving bag stolen from my baggage last september. Airport Police weren't very helpful to say the least but then I got in contact with a girl working with the Airport Police through a colleague at work. She told me that Servisair had a detective working with them trying to catch the culprit(s) because the insurance claims had gone so high. She said it was almost impossible to catch them because they were using rubbish bins and anything else they could to store the goods they had robbed. She said the even left stuff on the landing apron's where the planes park and the guys re-fuelling would pick it up.

Submitted my insurance claim but never got anything back, hope the scum that robbed my stuff has since died of a heroin overdose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

heh heh, try this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

It definitely goes on alright. A friend of mine used work at Dublin airport as a baggage handler a few years ago, and when he heard that I would be flying out from there, he told me to "watch what valuables I put in my bags". He said stuff is always getting robbed from peoples baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's one of the reasons I keep anything valuable on my person, or not bring it all.
    Another is Ryanair keep losing my stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

heh heh, try this forum
    I thought you linked to PI, the forum with most baggage on boards, except maybe tLL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

What are the odds that anyone caught doing this will get a suspended slap on the wrist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

stebishop wrote: »
    I has 200 cigarettes taken from my bag only 2 weeks ago, I know they were taken in Dublin as I saw the bulge in my bag going onto the plane in Faro.
    I didn't report it because well, I knew nothing would be done about it.
    Report everything! Same goes for crimes in the street. The company will have stats for stuff like this, if no one reported anything, nothing would be done. But you're right, you have feck all chance of getting it back.
    JMcCR wrote: »
    Time to start leaving a nice old pair of y fronts with some chocolate spread on em on top of my clothes in my case. That'll stop em going any further ;)
    use shite instead, more effective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

About 10 years back a group of us were heading to the US for the summer...in my hand luggage leaving Ireland I had 2 bottles of single malt for presents for people who were putting us up. Some of the other lads had presents in their bags too. After flying from DUB-JFK, we had to switch our bags to our connecting flight, I checked my hand luggage as it was a long trek between terminals...whilst weighing and checking them in I asked the lady at the desk to take it easy as there was fragile gifts inside (pretty naive in retrospect). Thought nothing more of it.
    It was only when I went to give the gifts out at arrival that I noticed them missing. Contacted the rest of the group and discovered that some of the others had stuff missing too...one of the guys had a whole bag not turn up.
    We were all sure it was at JFK. One of the guy's relatives who he was staying with had some in-laws in the NYC police, pretty high ranked...they reported the thefts to the airport police, along with flight times and such. Four baggage handlers ended up arrested and fired for theft...most of the stuff was gotten back ('cept for the drink :( ).

Point of all that is that this probably happens at every airport and at some of them it's probably organised with more than just a couple of individuals involved...I'm not sure if we'd complained via normal channels that anything would have been done, we were lucky to have a connection. Given that jobs like this aren't tooo much above minimum wage and probably have high turnover, it's easy to see how anyone could be digging through your stuff with the lightest of background security checks and that stuff could be stolen with impunity.

Advertisement