Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about points

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

are the points on the qualifax page the points needed after round 1 or 2?

Comments

They're last year's Round 1 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Whatever it is it is pretty much irrelevant to this years offers as the points for a certain course could go up or down. You'll just have to wait to see what you are offered on Monday. Remember if you are offered your second offer, accept it because you could still be offered your number 1 choice afterwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

phew!had my 10th panic attack when figuring out these results!!

So if the points for computer science in dit are 230 last year and i've got 305 then i should be offered 1st time?I mean its unlikely its going to rise by 70 points is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

adamtj09 wrote: »
    So if the points for computer science in dit are 230 last year and i've got 305 then i should be offered 1st time?I mean its unlikely its going to rise by 70 points is it?

No it won't rise by that much. I'd say it is a safe bet that you're in!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

Woo thanks for the clear answer I can rest in peace :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

adamtj09 wrote: »
    Woo thanks for the clear answer I can rest in peace :)

Alright cripple!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Billydog

Sorry this has got me confused a little. If the points on Qualifax are the first round points does it mean that some candidates got into the course on lower points in the second round. For example my first choice is 410 points but I only got 400. If it's again 410 in the first round does it mean it might drop in the second round? I don’t think so as I though the points quoted were the lowest points that the final applicants got in on.
    Any clarification would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Billydog wrote: »

Sorry this has got me confused a little. If the points on Qualifax are the first round points does it mean that some candidates got into the course on lower points in the second round. For example my first choice is 410 points but I only got 400. If it's again 410 in the first round does it mean it might drop in the second round? I don’t think so as I though the points quoted were the lowest points that the final applicants got in on.
    Any clarification would be appreciated.

The points quoted on Qualifax are the final points needed to get into a particular course. So if the points in 2008 in the first round were 420 for a particular course and then a certain number of students didn't take up those offers then those places would be offered to the next eligible candidates on the list. Say there were 5 available places in Round Two, the next 5 on the list would be offered the places, and of the next eligible candidates there were 3 candidates on 415, one candidate on 410 and one on 395, then those 5 candidates would be offered the place and the points in Round Two would be 395. Assuming no further offers were made in subsequent rounds then this is the points score that would show up in the CAO list for 2008 as the final points needed for entry to the course.

So to answer your question, the scenario you describe could happen. If you look at the points on the CAO website you'll see that it says FINAL points not First Round. Keep an eye on the Level 6/7 courses in Round One and Two to see this in action, where students apply for L6/7 courses as well as Level 8 and take their Level 8 offer leaving lots of vacancies in L6/7 courses so their points can drop dramatically in Round Two.

Advertisement