Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meeting new people????

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hoping some of you out there have some ideas about how to meet new people in kilkenny....
    basically, most of my friends are married expecting babies.
    i have been studying for the last year so was under pressure with exams etc.... now I have time to get a life .... finally......
    what clubs are good for meeting people in? just want to get a social network going....... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It depends on what your interests are tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There's loads going on. Loads and loads. From martial arts to photography. Kilkenny is especially good if you are into the arts scene. Lots of theatre groups ans music to get involved with and I read somewhere recently that the musical society are actively seeking new members.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cycling club also good, www.marblecitycyclers.com, plus winter season coming up so it'd be a good time to get on board.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Nice Jerseyeire. Didn't even know ye existed. Like the way ye are welcoming to beginners as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

carlychick wrote: »
    what clubs are good for meeting people in? just want to get a social network going....... :)

Most of the clubs are full of hens and stags, 16 year olds or farmers fighting or talking about their tractors or land. :D If you want to meet people in pubs at the weekend i would suggest The Left Bank. If your into live music there is something on every night! Particularly in the Pump House, Cleeres, Ryans.

Some of the pubs are really making an effort now with themed nights. (Pub Quizes and the like) Billy Byrnes on Johns St has a movie night now thats supposed to be great. I think its on Wednesdays.

Otherwise i would suggest playing sports or doing evening classes in the VEC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carlychick

thanks basically ive got to find a social network to go to these pubs and clubs.... as all my friends are married and expecting babies!!! i am SO not in that zone!!! enjoying being single but want to have a life and meet similar people who are on my wavelength!!! ive a couple of single friends in dublin but ah i cant be trekking there every wkend...interested in sport and not the hockey club.is there any squash club in kilkenny? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If it's a social life your after one of the theatre groups is worth checking out. I did a poster for one of them last year and I'm always meeting people from it in pubs around the town and I only went to one meeting. There are a couple of different amateur groups depending on your age and what area of theatre your interested in, you don't have to act you can look to do sets or costumes or front of house etc Email Branstorm, they have a list of most of them.

There's also a film club that meets monthly in the castle or the weekly film nights in Billy Byrnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

carlychick wrote: »
    thanks basically ive got to find a social network to go to these pubs and clubs.... as all my friends are married and expecting babies!!! i am SO not in that zone!!! enjoying being single but want to have a life and meet similar people who are on my wavelength!!! ive a couple of single friends in dublin but ah i cant be trekking there every wkend...interested in sport and not the hockey club.is there any squash club in kilkenny? :)

There was a thread similar to this before which had some good suggestions im on site with work at mo but ill have a look for it later and link it for you. It gave alot of nice suggestions like the musical society etc... and catered for alot of different tastes.

I know there are squash courts in kilkenny not sure if a squash club however? the local GAA club James Stephens have a squash court as do the army barracks i think? someone else might be able to help you more.

Any interest in tennis? They do american tournaments Friday nights you just need to ring the guy over it in advance to put your name down you don't have to be a member of the club for the first few times and if you're not v good no worries as lots of different levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Cycling club also good, www.marblecitycyclers.com, plus winter season coming up so it'd be a good time to get on board.

Hey is that for women as well as men cos I see a photo of just men? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Im new to Kilkenny too!!!!!!!!!

And also in same boat so if any other "noobies" to Kilkenny wanna chat please PM me!

Im similarly a Dub in Kilkenny with Dublin mates and none really in Kilkenny yet except for a few in work of course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@schumacher yes there are also women in the club who are there every week.

Another good place to meet people is Byrnes on the top of John St. on a Wednesday evening, they show a film at 20.30 and it's a brilliant ice-breaker way to start a conversation if you don't know someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Do many people go to see them?

Firetrap wrote: »
    Do many people go to see them?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Ok well who's coming with me then to watch one of the films :)

Well, I'll probably be there, if it's a French film, it'll be a cert I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Here is the facebook page of Byrne's pub.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1473845650

They give constant updates as to what's happening on movie nights and on weekends. :)

Advertisement