Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble making decision

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

bigger problems in the world today i know, but, im having a lot of trouble making a decision on what i should choose to do and im looking for other peoples opinions on what they would do in my position.

Medicine is really all i want to do, but unfortunately i didnt get the points needed this year (dont say wait til monday to see because its just fact i wont get it :p). I will most likely be offered science in Trinity this year. Im stuck between choosing science for 4 years and then taking the post grad in medicine, repeating for (hopefully) 1 year and (hopefully) getting under grad medicine for 5 years or apply abroad

Problems!! -
    Science route: post grad medicine costs something like 11k a year, on top of the cost of the cost of the science course as well as the possibility of fees. Its 8 years of school and even after the science course theres no guarantee ill be offered a place in post grad med

Repeat route: theres a chance i wont get the points the second time either and i refuse to go back to a school to study. Ill also miss the "free" year without college fees so if i do get it i may end up paying the same amount as post grad med anyways. It could be 2 years shorter though.

sorry for the long rant, just wondering what would you choose to do in my position? (assuming repeating itself wouldnt kill you :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

take science and repeat the leaving at the same time. no problem to ya.
    trinity exams are over in may, maybe even early may. no clash there. you will ace the sciences in the leaving and even for english you will have hundreds of books of extra material in trinity library you didnt have access to this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Take science in trinners. AFAIK it's a course that provides you with the essentials needed to get the best jobs in the science sector, so there's definately no shame in opting for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Never touch the Leaving Cert again for the rest of your life!

Science in Trinity is fantastic, and even if you don't do Medicine afterwards it will look a lot more impressive and be a lot more important than whatever you got in the LC. On one hand, you could put yourself through the torture that is the LC for another year, leaving your friends behind in the process. On the other hand, you could enjoy yourself in a great course in a great university for four years. By then the recession might be over, and you'll be ready to be a doctor, with a valuable degree under your belt.
    pathway33 wrote: »
    take science and repeat the leaving at the same time. no problem to ya.
    trinity exams are over in may, maybe even early may. no clash there. you will ace the sciences in the leaving and even for english you will have hundreds of books of extra material in trinity library you didnt have access to this year.

This is what you DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT do. Why would you waste your time getting a qualification that you already have, whilst in the middle of getting a bigger, more important one. Regardless of that, there is no way that anyone could have the time to do the LC and JF science at the same time and succeed, having a normal university life in the process.

Also, I can't understand why anyone would go straight into medicine. You're basically choosing a job for life. Science would give you more options at the end of it, without preventing you from becoming a doctor if you so wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wittsend90

I missed the points for veterinary last year and I have completed junior freshmen science in Trinity. I thought I would continue the 4 year course and then go onto do a post grad in UCD or in Edinburgh.
    But I have looked at it cost-wise and that option is just a bit too expensive & I don't wanna spend 4 years in a course that I don't really care about!
    So I am taking a place at Szent Istvan University in Budapest. The year of science really stood to me, living away from home, juggling college & social life and the course gave me a really good base in all the sciences.What's more I didn't have to do the entrance exam & I will get exemptions from certain modules as chemistry, biophysics & embryology (I think?)

My cousin was set on medicine and gutted when she didnt get it. She did a year of science in trinity and applied to UCAS and got into Sheffield University!

If you want somethin badly enough you will do anythin to get it! I personally wouldn't repeat the LC!
    Sorry for the essay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sugarglass

Know this is a little late, but just something to think about. You say in your post that one of the downsides of doing science and then medicine is having to be in school for 8 years. If your serious about medicine it's going to be longer than that. There's the first 4/5 years basic course, then you have to do specialty training which can last a decade or more depending on what specialty you want to do. There's also placements and internships. Becoming a doctor takes a ton of work, if it's what you want then go for it, but if the extra time studying puts you off then maybe you should reassess, because if you do go down the doctor path your in for a lot of work, for a long time. (Although I do get your point about the fees, can't offer much advice in that arena)

Personally I would never in a million years repeat the Leaving, when you're out looking for a job, whats going to look better, a primary degree in science or an extra year studying useless information. You can also do what the other poster advised and try to switch courses after first year. Also the things you learn in science can only help your medical aspirations.

It's your own decision, just think about it, maybe try and talk to someone who's been in your situation before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement