Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating, Core subjects droppable?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to repeat in the 'tute and dropping a few subjects, to pick up new "easy ones". Someone just told me you can't drop all three of the core subjects:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I know all this just my mate threw me there when he said" I thought you had to keep one core subject when repeating":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

No, you can drop all 3.
    Unless you're going for Medicine, in which case you have to get all the matric. requirements in a year.

I'm POSITIVE, because a few repeats in my school last year dropped English, Irish and Maths.

Best of luck.
    PS: Geography's not as easy to do in a year as a lot of people think. Fair few disappointed faces in my repeat class.
    PPS: English isn't too bad to do in a year either, if you're good at it anyway. I didn't even read Macbeth. (And took many, many more risks) and got an A1. And in my small repeat class- at least 4 people (I know of) got As.

ah what the frick, I do want to do medicine:confused: Ok so cana nyone confrim this for me now:pac: thanks by the woods :)

theowen wrote: »
    ah what the frick, I do want to do medicine:confused: Ok so cana nyone confrim this for me now:pac: thanks by the woods :)

In that case, I'm afraid you'll have to get the points for Medicine in one sitting.
    Absolutely 100% positive, as I just repeated for Medicine and would've LOVED to drop French *shudder*.

If you're bad at, say, Irish though you can drop to pass. All you'll need is an OD3.

You have to do Maths, Irish, English, A Language, Chemistry and another Science all in one go though.

Sowwy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

girl i was in school with this year, wants to do medicine. she did all the subjects again, did 7 so she didnt have to count maths for points, so she just put minimum effort into maths leaving the maths exam after an hour,she just wanted to get the D3 to satisfy the requirements,so yeah you can do it

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    In that case, I'm afraid you'll have to get the points for Medicine in one sitting.
    Absolutely 100% positive, as I just repeated for Medicine and would've LOVED to drop French *shudder*.

If you're bad at, say, Irish though you can drop to pass. All you'll need is an OD3.

You have to do Maths, Irish, English, A Language, Chemistry and another Science all in one go though.

Sowwy :(
    you have to do chemistry again? she didnt ,only did biology?:eek:

leesmom wrote: »
    you have to do chemistry again? she didnt ,only did biology?:eek:

Yeah. That's a'right actually.

You don't need Chemistry for UCD. Galway and RCSI too, I think.
    You do need 2 science subjects though.

But if you want Trinity or UCC, you need Chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You actually only need one science (at ordinary level) to get into NUIG.

Most will have two though and a couple would have three.

Yeah. That's a'right actually.

But if you want Trinity or UCC, you need Chemistry.
    think trinity is her first choice:confused:

That leaving cert suicide lines looking well at the mo...:pac: OK so my bro's girlfriend's friend definitly droppped maths when she repeated, and now she's in her 4th year as a med student; i need a fricken guidance counciller asap:( Also I'll be keeping biol and chem, got Bs in them honours wise this year so that's not a prob.

• Advertisement

You actually only need one science (at ordinary level) to get into NUIG.

Most will have two though and a couple would have three.

Oops, sorry. Really wasn't aware of that.
    Thanks for clearing that one up, wasn't sure :)
    think trinity is her first choice:confused:
    Perhaps I'm wrong then...
    I was always told a HC3 in Chemistry was needed for Trinity Medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wowiee

if you repeat but do worse the second time round can you decide which leaving cert result you want to use

also does any one know if dentistry is the same story as med as in you need to do all the core subjects when repeating even if you passed them first time round?

That leaving cert suicide lines looking well at the mo...:pac: OK so my bro's girlfriend's friend definitly droppped maths when she repeated, and now she's in her 4th year as a med student; i need a fricken guidance counciller asap:( Also I'll be keeping biol and chem, got Bs in them honours wise this year so that's not a prob.

The entry into Medicine was changed this year.

According to the qualifax website...
    Applicants must achieve a minimum of 480 points and meet the matriculation and specific course requirements in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate examination. In addition, all applicants will be required to sit the admissions test (HPAT – Ireland) which will take place on 14 February 2009. Applicants must register for the test at www.hpat ireland.acer.edu.au by 20 January 2009. Test results will only be valid for two years.

she did chemistry last year and got whatever grade is needed.
    i assume she checked it with the guidance councellor in the school,she is desperate for med so im sure she did
    theowen when you go in for the interview in IOE your one that interviews you is a guidance councellor so she will answer all your questions.
    they run interviews pretty much through the summer ,so once you ring up you should get one quick enough

The entry into Medicine was changed this year.

According to the qualifax website...
    Oi, if i was a girl I'd be crying right now...

wowiee wrote: »
    if you repeat but do worse the second time round can you decide which leaving cert result you want to use

also does any one know if dentistry is the same story as med as in you need to do all the core subjects when repeating even if you passed them first time round?

No. It's just Medicine that requires you to get all the matric. requirements in one year AFAIK.

And yeah, you can use whichever points are better. Definitely. :)

i assume she checked it with the guidance councellor in the school,she is desperate for med so im sure she did
    theowen when you go in for the interview in IOE your one that interviews you is a guidance councellor so she will answer all your questions.
    they run interviews pretty much through the summer ,so once you ring up you should get one quick enough

Thanks for that lessmom, great advice. I'm gonna ring up tomorrow methinks

wowiee wrote: »

the cao automatically take the better ones as far as i know

You can't carry over ANY matriculation requirements or anything for Medicine. I'm sure of it.

As long as she had 2 science subjects (or one for Galway!) she can indeed get medicine.

Thanks for that lessmom, great advice. I'm gonna ring up tomorrow methinks

oh and one last thing ,choose mona murray for biology , her notes are amazing :)

• Advertisement

You can't carry over ANY matriculation requirements or anything for Medicine. I'm sure of it.

As long as she had 2 science subjects (or one for Galway!) she can indeed get medicine.

oh god, and she was delighted with her points yesterday.
    i always thought that you had to do chem again too but she said not.
    ahh glad its not me , the pressures of people trying to get into medicine,its crazy and pretty unfair:(

oh and one last thing ,choose mona murray for biology , her notes are amazing :)
    haha thanks:D I was talking with the family there and I'm thinking of not doing the core 3 in the 'tute but by myself, as in not studying for them but getting a pass:confused: I think that'll work, in saying that i got a b3 in honours english this year but I don't think I'll be able to better that:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

Hi everyone

Hope Ive posted this in the right place but I'm going back to repeat Irish , English and Maths this year I'm doing hons Irish and English and Ord Maths problem I have is I first did the leaving in 2004 so Im just wondering If I could get some advice. I know I'm mad...Im really worried about Irish as I did Ord first time around and got B1 but Ive barely spoke a word of it in 5 years.

any advice would be fantastic.

Dandoline

haha thanks:D I was talking with the family there and I'm thinking of not doing the core 3 in the 'tute but by myself, as in not studying for them but getting a pass:confused: I think that'll work, in saying that i got a b3 in honours english this year but I don't think I'll be able to better that:mad:
    english is a dodgy one,as youll see from reading the english results thread, i wouldnt do it again, its pretty unpredictable

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

This is from the hpat and medicine thread and explains it-

I think one of the fairest things about the new system is that your Leaving Cert points are counted from the year in which you MATRICULATED. This boring word means that you have to do English,Irish,Third Language,Maths and one or more Science subjects to satisfy the university minimum requirements and is covered on cao page on medical entry and on qualifax.
    See
    http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/2009UGMedEntry.pdf

You used to be able to "bank" your matriculation subjects and do any others to get the maximum points. So first time Leaving Certs were trying to compete against people who could choose their best subjects and a few new ones and this was not a level playing field. 16% of medical student entrants to one university were there on their 3rd Leaving Cert!!!
    I would love to know how many medical students were admitted on their first Leaving Certificate but that is never published.

The people who got 580- 600 LC on their first attempt but not sufficiently high hpat must be incredibly disappointed and I feel terribly sorry for them but this system is the new way and perhaps for the above reasons it was changed.

This ONLY applies to medicine- in all other subjects you can bank your matriculation subjects and do others on repeat.

Advertisement