Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography results....yay or nay?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

so basically im really disappointed with my geog result....got a B3 - down from an A1 in the mock. I didnt get lazy cause of the high result. I think the papers were marked either badly or hard in my school as the highest was a B2. Definetly goin to appeal

did anybody else think the paper was a marked hard reflecting their result and how they thought they did after the exam? I thought i got around a B1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i thought i got at least an A2 ,got a B1, will view my paper and see .although my loss of 5 points there was made up elsewhere. my geog teacher told us to view them as hes found before theyve sometimes left entire qs out of the mark or even the project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I got an A1. I don't know if I deserved it though. I would like to actually have my teacher look at the paper purely out of interest but don't want to embarrass myself as she is very happy with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Delighted with the A1 as the exam was tougher, especially the shorts but my teacher was great as he is an advising examiner ( the guy who corrects in green ), so he knows what hes on about. He is the man!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i think they were marked weird i though i got a b but i got a c2 im going to appeal it no way i got that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

i'd have to say yay!

i got an A1 and i was terrified i wouldn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I thought the marking wasn't fair, many people I know who went by the book purely learning off statistics and such got B3s and B2s.I on the other hand made up statistics that looked somewhat accurate and I took examples from places I had been on holidays and somehow got an A1.I was delighted.Making stuff up and getting away with it was leaving cert geography for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

meathawk wrote: »
    I thought the marking wasn't fair, many people I know who went by the book purely learning off statistics and such got B3s and B2s.I on the other hand made up statistics that looked somewhat accurate and I took examples from places I had been on holidays and somehow got an A1.I was delighted.Making stuff up and getting away with it was leaving cert geography for me.

i have to agree with you there, a lot of what i wrote came from my general knowlegde of places and i have friend who studied a lot who have B3s and B2s. albeit the ability to rely on you're own life education in an exam is often awarded. well, thankfully it was with geography. :)

i have to agree with you there, a lot of what i wrote came from my general knowlegde of places and i have friend who studied a lot who have B3s and B2s. albeit the ability to rely on you're own life education in an exam is often awarded. well, thankfully it was with geography. :)

Sure I mentioned for Egypt's tourism ( sub continental ) that a new highway is being built through the dessert from Cairo to Luxor.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

meathawk wrote: »

I took the same approach. I was inspired by bythewoods' post in another thread about how she was going to do it. I thought, I may as well just make a lot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I talked about toyota macquiladoras on the boarder of san diego and tijuana.I made a lot about the mistreatment of workers and made nearly all of it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i found geography quite hard.after the exam i expected to get a c.in the end i got a c1.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I got a B3 but got a B2 in the mock so kinda the same, obviously that pre submitted thing didn't help me much or my standard of geography dropped emensly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

I have been an A1 geography student in 5th and 6th year and got an A1 in the mocks and revised loads for the leaving cert and i ended up with a C1...im getting it rechecked!Even though i got my points off another subject i just think that theres no way i could have dropped to a C1,since i also felt confident about my paper and didnt think it went bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

got a B1 and really not happy with it, most people in my class were not happy with theirs either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

I came out of the exam crying and ended up getting an A1 I was shocked, I wrote the most amount of bull. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I got a C1 quite surprised, I thought the whole exam was a disaster for me especially the option question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What ****ed me up was the english 2 fiasco.
    Spent all of the thursday revising English 2 (again) when I could have been doing Geography :(

Only got a C2.
    I was gutted
    Was an A student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

I got an A in the mocks and at parent teacher meetings the teacher said he expected me to be getting an A in leaving cert I got a B1 not happy at all definatly getting it re checked. We had a class teacher only 1 person failed his class in like 25 years two other people who he thought wud get As aswel only got B's or C's. There's no way we all dropped down from the mocks like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Likewise. A few in my class were expecting to get the A, I dont think any did. I was hoping for it too and got a B3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Not very inspiring for people to choose Geography as a subject for Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

What is the percentage for A1 in the Leaving Cert this year and is that up or down on last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Bit disappointed here too. Got a B1 but was expectin an A2 at least. Looking forward to viewing my paper next week because i'm interested in seeing where i lost those marks, did a good project and i though the paper went every well. Its generally known to be very difficult to get an A in geography though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just wondering if all the people who are disappointed with their Geography mark had their mock grade based on the written paper only or had a project mark added in by their teacher, based on what their teacher thought the project was worth( but not necessarily what it got in June). It might explain the drop in marks for a lot of you.

The other thing is and there have been plenty of threads about this in the past, if everyone was doing very well on the exam (ie a higher percentage of A grades than the Dept would like) then the marking gets quite strict to bring down the percentage of As - but it is applied across the board so some people might end up with a grade lower than they expected.

I don't believe that the papers were marked badly as was mentioned in one post, not when there are so many people complaining about the marks. Correctors have a marking scheme and they have to stick to it, they just can't decide what they will or won't accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

i was delighted with geo got a d2 in the mocks and i just tried me best at it after and got a b3 woot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Very very disappointed.

for every test in school since 5th year, I got a B2. That includes the mocks.
    And then in the real thing I got a C3:mad:

I'd like to get it checked but there's no need really as I got my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

have say i'm delighted got a d1 in the mocks but ended up with a b1 in the leaving. from what i remember after doing the exam i was thinking the most i could of got was a c1.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

geography....didnt looka at a book for two years but did a good project and a night of cramming got me a b1...bit of a pisstake of a subject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Always been an A1 student, got an A2. Little bit disappointed. Think I fecked up my shorts, because I walked into the exam crying, after Maths 1 (was convinced I'd fail miserably) and an incredibly stressful journey to the exam hall after lunch, so I couldn't concentrate at all for the first while, until I calmed myself. Interested to see the script.

Just wondering if all the people who are disappointed with their Geography mark had their mock grade based on the written paper only or had a project mark added in by their teacher, based on what their teacher thought the project was worth( but not necessarily what it got in June). It might explain the drop in marks for a lot of you.

The other thing is and there have been plenty of threads about this in the past, if everyone was doing very well on the exam (ie a higher percentage of A grades than the Dept would like) then the marking gets quite strict to bring down the percentage of As - but it is applied across the board so some people might end up with a grade lower than they expected.

I don't believe that the papers were marked badly as was mentioned in one post, not when there are so many people complaining about the marks. Correctors have a marking scheme and they have to stick to it, they just can't decide what they will or won't accept.

Last year my teacher ( advising examiner ) had to correct a whole bundle of scripts for a forth time as the A grade rate was too high. All the assistant examiners also had to remark scripts for a forth time too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Last year my teacher ( advising examiner ) had to correct a whole bundle of scripts for a forth time as the A grade rate was too high. All the assistant examiners also had to remark scripts for a forth time too!

Yep, I've been there and done that plenty of times, soul destroying work!

Advertisement