Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do the cao set the points

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

this is probably a stupid question but how do they work it out? is it the points that the applicants for a particular course have? or is it done by the number of applicants? i just dont understand:o
    probably not even making myself clear:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Number of applicants for the number of places

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

it doesnt make sense how do they make that into numbers?? maybe its beacuse maths is my weak point or maybe im thinking too much :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

supply/demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I'm not sure if I understaqnd you correctly, but I thought that there was a certain amount of places to fill. 200 for example. 300 people apply for the course, and those 200 with the highest points get accepted. The last person to be accepted (ie. the one with the lowest points) sets the points that we all worry about.

So, the person with the lowest points that gets accepted for the course sets the points for the next year.

Does that answer your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Here's an artificial example to show how it works:

Suppose there are fifty places on the course and a hundred people apply.

Suppose ten of the applicants have 600 points. They'll all get in. The course is not full, so some people with less than 600 will get in. Therefore the minimum requirement is less than 600.

Suppose fifteen of the applicants have 595 points. They'll all get in. The course is still not full, so some people with less than 595 will get in. Therefore the minimum requirement is less than 595.

Suppose twenty of the applicants have 590 points. They'll all get in. The course is still not full, so some people with less than 590 will get in. Therefore the minimum requirement is less than 590.

Suppose thirty of the applicants have 585 points. They won't all get in, as there are only five places left. Random selection applies: five of the thirty get in, and the course is now full. The minimum entry requirement is
    585. There is usually also some indication (e.g. an asterisk) after the 585 when it is published, to indicate that not everybody on that number of points got in.

That's how it works. Subsequent rounds of offers can lead to a drop in the minimum entry requirement, because some people will not accept what they were offered, and this creates some more places.

Hope that explains it.

• Advertisement

Futurism wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I understaqnd you correctly, but I thought that there was a certain amount of places to fill. 200 for example. 300 people apply for the course, and those 200 with the highest points get accepted. The last person to be accepted (ie. the one with the lowest points) sets the points that we all worry about.

So, the person with the lowest points that gets accepted for the course sets the points for the next year.

Does that answer your question?

That's correct, except that the person with the lowest points has determined the minimum requirement for THAT year, not the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Hope that explains it.

Puts my explanation to shame. :P

Thanks though. I wasn't too sure how it worked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

ok after reading a couple of times i think i get it:P
    so how do the round two offers come about?

Futurism wrote: »
    Puts my explanation to shame. :P

And there was me thinking that you had given a much more concise version!

Advertisement