Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people make new friends?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have posted on here before on this subject but cant find that thread (It was a while ago!).

Anyways, I am 28. All my friends have left, got married etc. So Now, I'm lonely. Has anybody else ever found themselves in this position? If so, I want to hear from you! How did you find new friends? I know you cant makea friend overnight and it takes time etc. But I wanna hear advice from people who have overcome this situation before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Booswig

We all got there some or other time. As you grow older, our friends get more important things to do, or slowly you outgrow them (or they you). After a while you just feel if you have noting more in common, and you stop speaking.

I made friends with people at work. There is a guy here that also play squash, and he loves fishing. So, we do that together. I recommend that, else sit down and identify the stuff you like. Get onth the net, and find if there are a local club for similar like-minded people. Join. Go crazy making new friends :P

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

You should join a club. Drama groups are great places because they travel around for drama festivals and you get a few weekends away too. Can be a great bonding experience for the group.

Join a sports group also, its a great way of meeting people and if you are playing a match everyone will usually go out for a few drinks afterwards.

It can be tough to make new friends but you have to try it. Also why not try contacting some of your old friends and see how they are doing, try organise a night out or go for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey

Why don't you try facebook; try chatting to people on that a bit more than you normally would and then you'll automatically have something to talk to them about when you see them. It's a great way of getting to know friends of friends better.

Joining clubs is all very well but in all fairness it's the same no matter what outlet you use, you just have to put yourself out there, it's unlikely someones not going to want to be friends with a friendly chatty person! :)

Advertisement