Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Shampoo

Options
  • 13-08-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I don't know if this is asked already but does anyone know of a good shampoo for dogs, (she has a black short coat if that helps) preferably not too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

If you want to intensify the black, you could get something like Bio - Groom Ultra Black Shampoo (http://www.ccpdogs.ie/product_info.php?cPath=32_76&products_id=418903&osCsid=00a30eafc24aeef3c45ebf75abb72741).

I'm a fan of Show Tech Pro Brightening 15 Shampoo (http://www.ccpdogs.ie/product_info.php?cPath=32_73&products_id=416008&osCsid=00a30eafc24aeef3c45ebf75abb72741). I've 2 black and white cats and a brown and white cat and I find it cleans well, smells nice, and makes their colours pop out.

My friend is a groomer, and as a general shampoo she's a fan of this one: http://www.christiesdirect.com/product.php?sp_p=840400. I think she also likes the Wahl Dirty Beastie one for really dirty dogs, but they do a black one as well http://www.christiesdirect.com/categories.php?sp_c=34.

Hope this helps, but it's really down to personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

hey , i use baby shampoo when washing my dogs, the vet told me its as good as any pet shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

We use Magic Coat for puppies. It's tearless and doesnt seem to bother our bichon pup. Perfume sprays drive him mad so I was worried about shampoo. Bf's aunt has a bichon aswell and uses baby shampoo and their coats look completly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

i would advise not to shampoo too ofter, especially short hair, brush regularly as too much washing is getting rid of natural oils, imho

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

I dont wash her too often (maybe every 3/4 weeks, is that too much?) but she wont let me brush her, she is so afraid of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

well i have read that for my black lab i should only wash every 3/4 mths, but i guess if you feel yours smells or looks dirty and dislikes brushing its probably ok, but the more you wash the more less natural oils are left to keep clean and more you'll probably need to wash, thats just my opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

id usually just get one thats moisturising for the skin too just helps prevent problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Elevelyn wrote: »
    I dont wash her too often (maybe every 3/4 weeks, is that too much?) but she wont let me brush her, she is so afraid of it!

Just to give advice on this bit, if you do a bit of brushing every day and give her a little treat when she's done she'll get used to it. Even if she doesn't like it very much, she'll tolerate it more. My dog Lily hates it but sometimes tolerates it. The pup changes her mind, sometimes she loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Our dogs get washed 2 or 3 times a year when they REALLY need it. I don't think it is good to wash a dog too much. To be honest though they do keep very clean anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

star-pants wrote: »
    Just to give advice on this bit, if you do a bit of brushing every day and give her a little treat when she's done she'll get used to it. Even if she doesn't like it very much, she'll tolerate it more. My dog Lily hates it but sometimes tolerates it. The pup changes her mind, sometimes she loves it.

Thanks will definitely try it, I only wash her when she stinks really or if she gets really dirty, thanks for all the advice everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ours go to the groomer around 3 times a year 4 at most if they need it badly enough. No matter what the shampoo usually washing them often isn't needed. As said, a good brush, if your dog is afraid of the brush perhaps try that grooming mitt. Our collie was nervous of the brush so I started using the grooming glove/mitt and she loved it and eventually moved on to a brush.

Now she just rolls over and nearly falls asleep if I brush her. Sometimes I freshen their coats up with a doggy spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Agree with not washing too often- it strips their coat of natural oils. Saying that, my Cavalier King Charles is an indoor dog so I end up washing her every 6-8 weeks as she usually finds something to roll in and then drag onto the couch :rolleyes:

Just another thing re: brushing. My dogs hates being brushed and would growl everytime the brush came near her so now I use a comb. Just a normal plastic one you'd get in a chemist's for about 50 cent. Don't know how big your dog is but I find it great for my little pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Would swimming in a local lake strip the natural oils off the coat? My dog is in the lake every two to three days for a good swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Lemlin wrote: »
    Would swimming in a local lake strip the natural oils off the coat? My dog is in the lake every two to three days for a good swim.
    I meant to ad that to my post last night... I am of the opinion that there is no better alternative to a bath than a swim in a lake or the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I usually buy my dog one containing merlot and it brings his coat up sparkling too. He is a black dog also.

I also find one of the best things is a can of sardines in olive oil mixed with his food twice really gives him a glossy coat. Dogs also love fish so they are a great treat. Only 47 cents for a can in tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Lemlin wrote: »

Wouldn't think so. It's the shampoo that strips oil, not water.

Advertisement