Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts set to go up..

Options
  • 13-08-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Arts is set to go up this year according to recent statistics from the cao...
    By how much would it be expected to go up by?..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

theres so many places in arts i wouldn't expect it to rise by more than 10 if at all. Is there 1200 places in arts in UCD alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

now when you say Arts, do you just mean the general Arts courses or will the likes of the Trinity Two Subject Moderatorship be included? I was hoping they'd drop as people will be picking more vocational stuff you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

I'm assuming you're referring to the arts courses in NUIG and other courses around those points. Yeah, I would agree that they might rise, but it really wouldn't be by much to be quite honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ianmull

pathway33 wrote: »
    theres so many places in arts i wouldn't expect it to rise by more than 10 if at all. Is there 1200 places in arts in UCD alone?

Yeah, there's 1200 or so places in UCD. Its impossible to say whether the points will go up or down, but it'll be within a margin of 5-10 if it does because theres so much places countrywide really. Best not worry I'd advise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Agree with all the people who say any change will be relatively small ... given the numbers of places involved in any of the omnibus arts courses, changes are never that major.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

I wonder if BESS in Trinity will go up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

jasus great, im five points short of arts, the only course i put down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

kevogy wrote: »
    jasus great, im five points short of arts, the only course i put down
    Same here, but I'm 5 points over my number 1. The thread title gave me a horrible feeling in my stomach. I thought points for courses were going down this year across the board.

Bleh!

Edit: OP, do you have a link to those statistics?

BlueSpiral wrote: »
    Same here, but I'm 5 points over my number 1. The thread title gave me a horrible feeling in my stomach. I thought points for courses were going down this year across the board.

Bleh!

Edit: OP, do you have a link to those statistics?

http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2009.pdf
    I think that's it.
    Well I have a feeling that the courses that will see a major rise in points are the lower point ones, for some reason.

Thanks MrPirate. Darn, well I'm crossing my fingers and toes. I just hope I get the arts course, since I know exactly what I want to do in it. It's definitely not going to be the end of the world if I don't get it, but it will put a bit of damper on my summer.

Does anyone know anything about what happens with the positions in art courses if people drop out before their first month is up? I doubt they become available for others to take but it would be a lovely idea for those who lucked out. :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks MrPirate. Darn, well I'm crossing my fingers and toes. I just hope I get the arts course, since I know exactly what I want to do in it. It's definitely not going to be the end of the world if I don't get it, but it will put a bit of damper on my summer.

Does anyone know anything about what happens with the positions in art courses if people drop out before their first month is up? I doubt they become available for others to take but it would be a lovely idea for those who lucked out. :pac:

Mind I ask which arts course it is? I'd say if you don't get it in the first rounds, you'll get it in the second. Because a number of people, myself included, have down an arts course reasonably high up on their CAO as a backup plan in case we didn't get the points we wanted. Then, the results come out and they find out that they have roughly enough points. Perhaps they'll get the arts course first offer but then round 2 comes out and then they get their number 1! I'm certain it'll happen a bit.

As far as the drop outs, I can't help you on that, unfortunately. Sorry. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I got 380 points in my leaving so id say i'm more or less in...

MrPirate wrote: »
    Mind I ask which arts course it is? I'd say if you don't get it in the first rounds, you'll get it in the second. Because a number of people, myself included, have down an arts course reasonably high up on their CAO as a backup plan in case we didn't get the points we wanted. Then, the results come out and they find out that they have roughly enough points. Perhaps they'll get the arts course first offer but then round 2 comes out and then they get their number 1! I'm certain it'll happen a bit.

As far as the drop outs, I can't help you on that, unfortunately. Sorry. :/
    I'm hoping to do English and Art History in UCD. It seems Art History isn't a popular choice anywhere, only two places in Ireland that do it (three if you count NCAD) and the class sizes are always pretty small.

I've got a couple of other Arts courses very high up on my list aswell. Galway's Arts is on my list and is getting praise from anyone I mention it to, on both the standard of education and the campus, so that one is a second favourite. :)

I'm hoping to do English and Art History in UCD. It seems Art History isn't a popular choice anywhere, only two places in Ireland that do it (three if you count NCAD) and the class sizes are always pretty small.

I've got a couple of other Arts courses very high up on my list aswell. Galway's Arts is on my list and is getting praise from anyone I mention it to, on both the standard of education and the campus, so that one is a second favourite. :)

Is that the Arts - Omnibus, course? Because if it is, I'd say you wouldn't have to worry about it! Plus, in the case you don't get it, you'll more than likely have the Galway course offered to you (same thing I put down. :P )

That Galway course is sounding beautiful right now, I had a tipsy drunk describe the fantastic years he spent in Galway while he was attending college there a while back. I don't think I've even seen dull eyes light up so fast at the mention of a college. :P If I do get to Galway, I very much hope to see you there!

Yep, The grand ol' Omnibus. Philosophy seems like it's going to be my third option if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paved_paradise

i got 375 (english HL was disappointing got C1 expected B2 my teach wants me to get it re-chhecked but if i get Arts in NUIG i wont. oh god i hope i get in!!:(:(:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

The admin office in Maynooth said to me that Arts there is set to go up by around 20 points :(.

The admin office in Maynooth said to me that Arts there is set to go up by around 20 points :(.
    thatll make arts in nuig 365 (id be 10 over) ok im scared now:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Up to 375? I've just finished 1st Arts in NUIM, can't believe it'd really go up 20 points in one year..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

im ten shorts point of children studies with arts in galway?! i thought maybe hopefully it could go down due to waterford offering a general arts degree this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

the first preferences for arts from 2008 ,have gone from 16,021 to 17,431 this year,im sure it wont go up by more than 20 points,theres so many places in arts

i was told itd only go up by 10!! it cant go that hihg i mean there is fecking 1,200 places! im going for general Arts (English,Georgraphy, Soc&Pol and fourth choice undecided.ny ideas??? if i even get in!:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I don't know about it going up by 20 pts I would imagine about 10 pts.
    Maynooth appears to known for its Arts courses and a lot of students tend to want to study there...well, we will see Monday what the story with the points are..

I'm hoping to go to UCD to study Arts..:D..hopefully il get in..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

has anyone heard anything about Arts in Mary I in Limerick going up or down??? Class sizes are small enough there.....??

Advertisement