Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Foam Boards the way to go?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey All,
    Are Foam Boards the ideal to start on, and if so, what size? I was given an 8ft one for a lesson and having read other threads, I was just wondering if that's too big? I'm 5ft 10".

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I bought a 7' foamie yesterday...:cool: Got it for €90 firsthand with a bag, leash and fins..:D I'm 5'1" and was advised a 6'8" to 7 footer. Usually you want a board around 1 and half foot taller than you so if you got a 7'6" foamie... maybe? where i got my 7' board they sold 7' 6" boards as well so they shouldn't be hard to come by...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Newbie77

Hey Jackobyte, where'd you get the foamie? Sounds like an awesome deal.

Ocean Life Surf Shop, Main Street, Kilkee, Co. Clare!!!

They are trying to get rid of stock for winter... They only open during summer months so EVERYTHING is half price!!!:eek: I got a top of range snorkel mask for €20 there as well, down from €40...:D

Oh! and I'm not involved in shop... and they aren't paying me to say this either!:D

Ha ha,thanks Jackobyte. I'll call them.
    I'm just starting to surf so I think a foamie is the way too go, rather than wiping out then resurfacing and getting a smack in the head from a hardboard. Ha ha. But there's loads of different opinions on them and most don't seem to like them which is weird.
    I surf off Achill Island where my folks have a place. The waves are amazing.

Newbie77 wrote: »
    Ha ha,thanks Jackobyte. I'll call them.
    I'm just starting to surf so I think a foamie is the way too go, rather than wiping out then resurfacing and getting a smack in the head from a hardboard. Ha ha. But there's loads of different opinions on them and most don't seem to like them which is weird.
    I surf off Achill Island where my folks have a place. The waves are amazing.
    I wasn't too fond of the idea of them either... when they were €180!!!:D But at €90 I said I'd give them a try and get my own opinion of them!!! All the surf schools use them so they can't be that bad!!!:D

I'm just starting as well!!! This is my first board!!! My folks have a place in Kilkee but TBH surf ain't the best here... Lahinch is only bout 25 miles up road though so... they'll be dragged up there a lot!!!:)

• Advertisement

90 quid is a great deal. Sure if you were hiring it'd be €10 a session so buying is much smarter. I have to get a suit too, hopefully the shop will also have deals on them! :)
    I live in Dublin so it's a pain to drive over to Achill but it's sooo worth it when I get there.
    We used to go to Kilkee on holidays ha. I have a mate who surfs out of the school in Lahinch. Peaches his name is :)

90 quid is a great deal. Sure if you were hiring it'd be €10 a session so buying is much smarter. I have to get a suit too, hopefully the shop will also have deals on them! :)
    I live in Dublin so it's a pain to drive over to Achill but it's sooo worth it when I get there.
    We used to go to Kilkee on holidays ha. I have a mate who surfs out of the school in Lahinch. Peaches his name is :)
    Not sure about wetsuits... suppose they have... I can check when I'm down that way later if you want? They definitely have children's suits but not sure bout mens...

I have a wetsuit but have starting going swimming in the pollack holes in just togs now:D Its a lot colder but more refreshing too!!!:P You feel better when you do get out!!!

Ew that sounds like torture. Like having a cold shower every morning! Although I can only guess at what a pollack hole is...
    Yeah if you could have a look that'd be much appreciated man, thanks a lot. Mens but small enough medium/small is what I'm looking for. I'll call them then if they have adult suits. Nice one!

Ew that sounds like torture. Like having a cold shower every morning! Although I can only guess at what a pollack hole is...
    Yeah if you could have a look that'd be much appreciated man, thanks a lot. Mens but small enough medium/small is what I'm looking for. I'll call them then if they have adult suits. Nice one!
    Oh I thought you'd know them from holidaying here!!! They are very large rock pools which are a popular swimming spot here!!! There are 4 "pollack hole" They range in depth but can be 3 metres or more deep in spots!!! and then doctors rock (another "pool" here) is about 20ft deep in spots. I've gone scuba diving there!!!:P Every day the tide covers them for a period so they are great for snorkeling without going into the open sea when it goes back!!! It brings in wildlife!!!

I'll ask about wetsuits and get back to you tonite...

Sound out.
    And no, my parents would never have let me do that, are you mad?

• Advertisement

Scuba diving was a bit mad, ya!!!:D:P It was a thing run by dive centre!!!

Have a couple of O' Neill wetsuits... Not sure what sizes... They were €299 before sale so would be €150 now, They're 5mm.3mm and long legged (is it me or are they very expensive? Maybe I'm just used to kid size pricing) Shops stock is disappearing fast though.

Phone Number of shop: 065-9056044

Ah Jack, thanks a lot. €150 is actually pretty good for a new suit in adult sizes. 5/3 and full length is exactly what I want to. And the phone number. ha thanks very very much. I'll buzz them!

I have to wait until I have 25 posts before I can have an album/profile pic/avatar. That's stupid.

So I might just make them happen here. Or will I?

Yes I will...

I've arrived. Woo hoo...

It was no bother... In kilkee you pass everywhere as least twice a day... Its just so small...:D

Oh and congrats on ur 25 posts:P U've graduated!!!:D

Woo hoo. I'd like to thank my agent, my parents and God. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

How long will the summer sale last? I cannot buy wetsuit before the end of September :(

The shop only opens during the summer months and I think they are just trying to get rid of stock so they don't have to pay for storage for it during the winter...

I reckon it will be closed by then but not certain...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I rang the shop, turns out it is part of the Dive centre in Kilkee (which I used to work for!!) Didn't realise they had set up a surf shop.

Their dive shop is open all year round, but the surf one is closing mid September. So if you needed to get suits etc you can still order them through the dive centre.:) (www.oceanlife.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Personally I wouldn't recommend a foam board for a beginner. You'll progress beyond that level of ability very quickly and will soon be looking to upgrade. Generally I'd advise a friend starting out to look for a 2nd hand bic or NSP board. I suppose for 90 euro it's a hard offer to pass up, but to be honest you're going to be looking to upgrade after a few months so why not save 90 euro and go for the more advanced style beginner board.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

ianwalsh2 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't recommend a foam board for a beginner. You'll progress beyond that level of ability very quickly and will soon be looking to upgrade. Generally I'd advise a friend starting out to look for a 2nd hand bic or NSP board. I suppose for 90 euro it's a hard offer to pass up, but to be honest you're going to be looking to upgrade after a few months so why not save 90 euro and go for the more advanced style beginner board.

You are assuming that these people that are buying foamies are surfing every other day.... A lot of them aren't. Some may get out a weekend a month at best over the winter... if at all!

A foamie may be perfect for what they need!! Not everyone may want to progress to a hardboard!

Different strokes for different folks

loctite wrote: »
    I rang the shop, turns out it is part of the Dive centre in Kilkee (which I used to work for!!) Didn't realise they had set up a surf shop.

Their dive shop is open all year round, but the surf one is closing mid September. So if you needed to get suits etc you can still order them through the dive centre.:) (www.oceanlife.ie)
    Will they still be 1/2 price after the shop closes in mid-sept though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

NOOOOO not a foam i started off on a bic 5,10 still surfing it now im 13 now so its not got the right float 4 me so im upgrading to a surftech shortboard 4 xmas
    Id say get ur self a nice bic cheap too check out exposer in castlebar got mine for 280 with leash & wax!
    It tool a while for me to get standing but once you r its Fun and easier...
    Dont get a foam their no good when the waves get should hight
    and u cant turn on them so pick up a bic board im same hight as you but dont get a 5,10 to small 4 me and hardly and float since i weigh 53kg and they only take 45kg so yes i av to paddle really hard

Advertisement