Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Annual Tax Saver Increase

Options
  • 13-08-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Just had a look at my payslip and saw that the price of an annual tax saver Drogheda-Connolly/Pearse has increased by 25%. Has anyone else discovered the reason for this? :mad:

Will this make their service 25% more efficient? Or is going towards 25% more orange jackets for lads to stand on the platform and look at sleepers?

Bastards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

No I'd say it's to pay for the new big televisions in Connolly and Pearse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

25% increase!! Really?!!! :eek:

That would be final straw for me. I already have a massive problem with their parking arrangement shenanigans (this), and my annual ticket is expiring next month. I think I will be looking at alternatives. Mathews Coaches or motor bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

positron wrote: »
    25% increase!! Really?!!! :eek:

Its €1930 this year, wasn't it €1750 last year ~10%

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Funny I noticed the same myself the other day but convinced myself I was imagining it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just had a look at my payslip and saw that the price of an annual tax saver Drogheda-Connolly/Pearse has increased by 25%. Has anyone else discovered the reason for this? :mad:

Will this make their service 25% more efficient? Or is going towards 25% more orange jackets for lads to stand on the platform and look at sleepers?

Bastards.
    What are the before and after prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Victor wrote: »
    What are the before and after prices?

up by a tenner a week. Hopefully it is just a payroll glitch

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Isn't the matthews bus about the same price? I remember being shocked at how expensive it was. I was expecting much cheaper than the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

25% is a bit much, especially in these times!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

After all, we're in a recession and we are supposedly flogging the idea of public transport over private. This makes a mockery of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

How could it go up mid way through the year? The ticket is bought by the company at the start of the year, provided to you, and then you pay for it usually weekly/monthly out of your pay, though there are other options in some companies. I'd get on to payroll for an explanation, Irish rail would't have ought to do with that!

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    How could it go up mid way through the year? The ticket is bought by the company at the start of the year, provided to you, and then you pay for it usually weekly/monthly out of your pay, though there are other options in some companies. I'd get on to payroll for an explanation, Irish rail would't have ought to do with that!

Aye but if your ticket was Sep 08-Aug 09 then you would only be renewing it now. Is anybody actually able to confirm how much this has gone up by?

No fear people. I've been on to payroll since my shock last week. It has all been sorted. A glitch/human error on the payroll side. Said worker has no doubt been flogged but as yet there has been no compensation for emotional distress.

DON'T WORRY, IARNROD EIREANN MAY BE FECKLESS SIMPLETONS BUT THEY HAVE NOT PUT UP PRICES.

APOLOGIES FOR ANY DISTRESS CAUSED.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Don't speak too soon - the increase to pay for a new viaduct is yet to come.

yes, we are all ****ed, how will they refund our tickets. we are doomed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

fh041205 wrote: »
    Aye but if your ticket was Sep 08-Aug 09 then you would only be renewing it now. Is anybody actually able to confirm how much this has gone up by?

Don't think they do sep-aug tickets, and even if they did, you'd have to apply for a new ticket at the agreed price, they couldn't just randomly start charging you extra. Prices are on Irish Rail website, think the last inc was the start of the yea.

Glad to hear it's sorted anyway garrincha62 :) pity bout the bloody bridge, but I note there's a growing thread on that already....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dearg lady wrote: »
    Don't think they do sep-aug tickets, and even if they did, you'd have to apply for a new ticket at the agreed price, they couldn't just randomly start charging you extra. Prices are on Irish Rail website, think the last inc was the start of the yea.

Glad to hear it's sorted anyway garrincha62 :) pity bout the bloody bridge, but I note there's a growing thread on that already....

Annual tickets can start at the beginning of any month of the year.

how will they refund our tickets.

Thats actually a really good question. It'll take a few days at least to answer that comprehensively I would imagine.

dearg lady, as KC61 points out, that ticket would have been bought last Sep (probably) in 2008. Now that its 2009 it would indeed be more expensive.

Advertisement