Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

berlingo engine

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

anybody ever heard of an engine swap on a berlingo. currently has the standard 1.9 diesel engine in it and just doesnt have enough poke in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Would you consider change the van? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Thats because its a van, which is designed to carry loads, not set speed records around Silverstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Remap the ecu to increase bhp? or buy a better van they are only workhorses tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

only got the van recently and needs to be small for workin in around town. so not really to gone on changin again. anyone ever heard of one being remapped before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

only got the van recently and needs to be small for workin in around town. so not really to gone on changin again. anyone ever heard of one being remapped before?

Pointless without a turbo, I'm guessing it doesn't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 berlingoboy

i want to do an engine transplant on a berlingo, its an ideal size but wid the 90bhp engine it just aint fast enough. I want to fit the 06 2 litre hdi engine with 136 bhp, but i dont know what is involved, will the two wiring looms work? thanks in advance

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The grief from insurance companys wouldn't be worth a transplant!

but they are both 2 litre units, just with different intercoolers and ecu set ups, i would pretend that i have just tried to replace like for like engine and not tell the them

If you dont use all of the space, buy something like a Golf 1.9TDi van, and get it remapped.

As KBannon says, it just wouldnt be worth the hassle. You could probably keep your Berlingo, and pick up something like a Mitsubitshi FTO or something for 2k if you want something that moves fast.

but they are both 2 litre units, just with different intercoolers and ecu set ups, i would pretend that i have just tried to replace like for like engine and not tell the them

That would ne slightly illegal tbh. It would also cause your insurance to become invalid in the event of an accident. Remember, an insurance engineer knows alot more about cars than you. It wouldnt be hard to spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just buy another van. Berlingos and Partners are dirt cheap, you should be able to sell yours and buy a turbocharged one for very little more

i know i should just get a fast car for fun and keep the berlingo for tranport but i love suprising people with the speed in something that isnt suposed to go that fast, i also love the lowered van look, http://www.pisteros.com/images/com_adsmanager/ads/405h.jpg

they dont make a faster berlingo,(i havent found a 110 or 136 anyway) only the 90 bhp which i currently have

the 1.6 HDI can be remapped easily though.

it wont remap to more than about 105, and the safety tolerance of the engine is severly compromised with an engine remap, also they never put the 1.6 hdi into the van

There is no problems when an engine is remapped properly, and they did put the 1.6 into the van -

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200901191375992

also they never put the 1.6 hdi into the van
    They did yeah. I've driven them.

Also, the 1.9d is only 71bhp, so 100bhp and all the extra torque would be a huge improvement.

drummerboy i didnt realise that the put the 1.6 in, now both the new 1.6 and old 2 litre have got 90 bhp, if i was to remap one which would you recomend, also what dyu mean by 'properly' being remapped? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Are you driving the 1.9 or the 2.0 HDI.

The 1.9s are slow but would be a nightmare to swap for a HDI totaly differant gearbox and wiring looms.

The 2.0 HDI are far from slow if thats what you have then maybe you have a problem that you are not getting full power from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 just lurkin

TBH the berlingo chassis and drive is not able to handle anymore than 90bhp. major upgrades to running gear needed to make this van's performance worth an engine upgrade.

• Advertisement

im driving the 90 bhp, i think it is probably running full power??? not sure just assume. its not slow but its out of puff at bout 110. Could do with a bit more. its mainly in acceleration, it takes bout 12.5 to get to 60. Just want sumink faster but i like the berlingo image :D. What magor upgrades to the drivetrain would need replacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

what bout remapping the standard 1.9? instead of an engine swap?

the reason they can increase the power on the HDI models is because they have a turbo. they can up the boost on the turbo and make other changes. you can't do this with the 1.9d.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There was the 2.0 hdi in those vans and tbh, that was enough for them. They are not ideal for hammering around the place in. Ever try braking one on a bend?, the early ones at least had the worst brake balance ever with the rears locking up immediately making it 'fun' to try to gather it all up in trying to stop in a hurry on a bend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, remapping a van is not the way to go. It's not designed to handle any sort of extra power - it's a workhorse van, nothing more. It'll probably tear the gearbox and clutch to pieces.

Advertisement