Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As you like it - 5th yr english 2009

Options
  • 13-08-2009 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I was considering using 'As you like it' -the film- for the comparative, along with 'How Many Miles to Babylon?' and ' Dancing at Lughnasa'

I am aware that you must use at least one Shakespearean text in either the Comparative or Single Text questions.

I was hoping to do 'Wuthering Heights' for the Single Text, rather than 'Hamlet'

Would 'As you like it' - the film - be considered a Shakespearean Text?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm curious as to why you're picking your own comparative.

Anyway, you need to refer to the play when you're discussing it. You can refer to the film as a performance of the play that you saw. As long as you have some good quotes and references, you'll get away with watching the film (you don't need the depth of info required for the single text).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Elegance

Wonderful.

I just watched it for the first time today with subtitles.

I'm sure I could muster up some quotes for a question on theme.

Cultural Context might be more of a problem. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

An Film adaptation of a Shakespearean film will NOT suffice if you are doing HL English. You're free to chose a film of a Shakespearean play as part of your Comparative Study but you must still study one of the actual Shakespearean texts (Hamlet or The Tempest) to cover the Shakespearean requirement - either as your Single Text (Hamlet is your only choice in that case) or as part of the Comparative Study (either Hamlet or The Tempest).

It's quite clear on the Syllabus that you shouldn't consider the film a Shakespearean text as it is Kenneth Branagh's film that is on the course, not the play itself.

Anyone who overlooks a Shakespearean text in the exam lose a third of the marks for their Comparative Study....don't do it!!!! (See the marking scheme for 2008 Eng HL Appendix 4 for clarification on that -on www.examinations.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's quite clear on the Syllabus that you shouldn't consider the film a Shakespearean text as it is Kenneth Branagh's film that is on the course, not the play itself.

Oops, Stargazer, you're right, never checked the syllabus, forgot it was the film that was on! Scrap what I said Elegance.

Oh, and theme isn't on for 2010 either, it's Literary Genre, Cultural Context and General Vision and Viewpoint you have to cover at Higher Level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Elegance

This was taken from the 2008 Exam Paper:

N.B. Candidates must answer on Shakespearean Drama.
    They may do so in SECTION I, The Single Text (Othello) or in SECTION II, The
    Comparative Study (Othello, Hamlet, As You Like It).

All three had been listed as plays on the syllabus under Shakespeare.

a fourth Shakespearean Text 'Much Ado About Nothing' had been listed as a film under Kenneth Branagh in the 2008 syllabus.

it would seem only Hamlet and The Tempest will be considered in 2011, as they are the only two plays listed under Shakespeare.

'As you Like it' has been listed as a film under Kenneth Branagh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

Exactly! In 2008 As You Like It , the play was on the course so you could have chosen that to cover the Shakespearean requirement but for 2011 it's Kenneth Branagh's 'As You Like It' film that is on the course so while you're free to include it as part of your Comparative study you still need to study another play by Shakespeare for Higher level.

It's a good film to study regardless!

Advertisement