Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing scripts (I'm aware of the sticky, I know how to do it)

Options
  • 13-08-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Okay, I got 600 and I want to view my scripts. Do you think it would be bad form on my behalf if I viewed my scripts? I really want to see them but I know the place will be full of unhappy people who genuinely want to move up grades and stuff....i don't know if its appropriate.

What do you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Do it if you like to mate.

I wouldn't advise it as if you see the examiner has added your marks up wrong and instead of an A2 you should have gotten a B1 you will feel worse.

Leave it be would be my advise. You can do anything with 600 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I see from your other post that you didn't get an A1 in maths. Ask to view that paper because you were expecting an A1 and you may want to be an actuary someday. Then say while I'm here I may as well have a peek at the rest of my papers.

AFAIK there's some sort of a prize for the highest mark in the country i.e nearest to 100% so see how far away from this you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Everyone's able to view their papers, it doesn't matter how many points you got! I viewed my papers when I did my leaving (2 years ago) out of pure curiosity. I wasn't looking to go up a grade and anyone who was looking to appeal was concentrating too hard to notice anything else that was going on in the room.

Don't worry about what the others think, go look at your papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 base individual

fonpokno wrote: »
    Everyone's able to view their papers, it doesn't matter how many points you got! I viewed my papers when I did my leaving (2 years ago) out of pure curiosity. I wasn't looking to go up a grade and anyone who was looking to appeal was concentrating too hard to notice anything else that was going on in the room.

Don't worry about what the others think, go look at your papers!

I think you hit the nail on the head here, the fact that I did well should not stop me from being able to view them out of curiosity. Thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I'm going in out of curiosity despite getting well over what I need, mainly to see where I buggered up history, but also to see how specifics went (like my english story).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

im viewing mine,everyting except maths,just out of curiosity mainly and if i dont get my course on monday to see where i went wrong and do better the next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

I got 600 points last year, and I was in the same position. I wanted to see my scripts out of curiosity. I knew that I wouldn't, or couldn't appeal anything, so I was afraid people would be thinking 'what's that fella doing in here, and us desperately trying to find marks to bring up our grade in an appeal!!'.
    In the end I decided that I would view my scripts... I was afraid I'd regret not viewing them later. And I was so glad that I did... It kinda brought my whole Leaving cert experience to a close... the next week I was heading off to college. And there were no funny looks, I think people understood why I had bothered to come in.

So my advice to the OP is go view 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Its a free service and if you are not busy, I dont see why you wouldnt regardless of what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

If you aint got nothnig else to do, then do it, you have nothing to loose, im doing it because i want to see some of my papers and the percentage again!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Its a free service and if you are not busy, I dont see why you wouldnt regardless of what you got.

There is no charge for students to view papers, but it costs the SEC a fair bit to have schools opened, scripts located and transported, staff in attendance etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    There is no charge for students to view papers, but it costs the SEC a fair bit to have schools opened, scripts located and transported, staff in attendance etc.
    True enough, but I'd still say if the guy is curious, he should go have a look.

He may need what the American psychobabblists call "closure"! :D

(Oh, and I think I deserve brownie points for restraining myself from making a bad joke about the title! :pac: )

And that is the SECs responsibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh absolutely, I wasn't implying otherwise.
    Of course anyone is entitled to look at their scripts. I wish they'd had it in my day, but it is a fairly costly exercise.
    One I'm surprised An Bord Snip didn't target. Too busy cutting special needs classes, I suppose.

Oh absolutely, I wasn't implying otherwise.
    Of course anyone is entitled to look at their scripts. I wish they'd had it in my day, but it is a fairly costly exercise.
    One I'm surprised An Bord Snip didn't target. Too busy cutting special needs classes, I suppose.

The people who were employed for An bord Snip Nua is a '' money for the biyyyyyyyys '' job if you ask me!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm gonna view most of my papers (bar accounting and maths because I'm not really fussed about them lol) just out of curiosity. I'm not looking to appeal anything, and I won't be dragging anyone else in with me - it's just gonna be me & the scripts and whoever else is in the centre :P I need to, for my own sake :o

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i think at 309 euro for me to sit my leaving as a repeat i more than deserve to view my scripts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Amazing, I came onto the LC forum with the intention of making this exact thread (minus the 600 points bit :P)

So yeah, I got B1s in Irish and English. I don't think I need any more points but I can't help but feel a niggly little annoyance when I think of them. Up to the exams I was hoping for A's in both. I dunno. Curiosity vs Knowledge That It's a Pointless Exercise. Hmm.

If I do decide to view them, do I have to ask my teachers personally to accompany me or will they be there at the viewing times anyway?

You'll have to ask them in advance. I think a number of the viewing sessions are on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash:)

I got 510 yesterday and i only need 335 for my course so i wont be appealin anythin..still curious though so i think ill view my scripts! Just one question, with regards to subjects like art, would the practical work be there to view as well as the essays?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

ash:) wrote: »
    I got 510 yesterday and i only need 335 for my course so i wont be appealin anythin..still curious though so i think ill view my scripts! Just one question, with regards to subjects like art, would the practical work be there to view as well as the essays?:)

I didn't do art but it's only the written work as far as I remember, I think you can get your practical stuff back later on in the year though? I could be wrong but that's what they did in my school!
    I think you hit the nail on the head here, the fact that I did well should not stop me from being able to view them out of curiosity. Thanks man nice lady!

;)

I liked viewing my scripts, it did wrap the whole thing up nicely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

You don't need to justify going to view your scripts; it's free, and it's nobody's business but your own. Loads of people view scripts for lulz without appealing anything (I presume you have no reason to appeal anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I want 4 papers re-checked, but the one I most want to see is my A1 in English... Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

not going to bother getting the scripts viewed. I happy with my lot. However I really do want to see how I got an A1 in OL Chemistry considering when I marked the paper myself on the day I got an A2 (i am critical marker though) but we'll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

I got 575 and need 430.. Some might say its stupid to go in and see them when I don't need anymore points.. I'm going in to see english and maths out of pure curiosity anyway.. Why not like.. Like the point somebody made earlier, we all paid enough money to take the exams, no harm in taking a look..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

I'm going to view my scripts too even though I got the 6oo. Mostly cos I'm curious!!

Why not?:)

My mum is slightly afraid that I might somehow get downgraded or something though just by looking at them!! She's a worrier!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My mum is slightly afraid that I might somehow get downgraded or something though just by looking at them!! She's a worrier!;)

When I did my LC, I knew I did grand overall but was afraid I'd failed higher level English. I genuinely didn't expect to be counting it for points, I was pretty sure I'd gotten enough points in other subjects, but I knew I'd need at least a D in English for matriculation. So when I opened my results, I went to look at English straight away, just praying for that D ... and I saw an A1. Biggest shock of my life!

That's the only paper I'd have been bothered viewing, but I didn't, because I was afraid the examiner had accidentally doubled my marks and that this would somehow be noticed by the person giving me the script to look over. I definitely regret not viewing it now though, to see if it was because I got a ridiculously easy marker, or maybe I was somehow inspired by literary genius on the day and didn't even realise it! (Accidentally doubled marks seems the most likely explanation though!)

Basically I doubt you'll regret viewing them afterwards, but there's a chance you'll regret not viewing them, so I'd say go for it! I viewed some of my other papers, and I think most people were there out of curiousity rather than anything else. Tis a good chance to catch up with everyone else anyways!!!

I'm going to view my scripts too even though I got the 6oo. Mostly cos I'm curious!!

Why not?:)

Nothing happens by just looking.
    If you then go on to apply for a re-check there is always the chance you might be downgraded, but just viewing the scripts runs no risk.

Well done on the 600 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm gonna go and have a look at Maths, Bio and Chem.

Mainly to figure out HOW I managed an A2 in Maths when I though I'd have gotten a C.

Might have a look at Physics too just to see if the examiner reacted to:
    I wont bore you with the hairy details, let's just say it's magic

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Hey fair play, I recall how much you said you were worrying on the countdown thread.:D

I'm viewing mine out of curiosity too. There's no harm in looking and it will dispel any thoughts of 'what if' in the future, as what was said before, closure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I only viewed the scripts I got A2s in.

I regret not just looking at them all. I had an idea in my head that i would be causing undue hassle by requesting to view them all. When I went in, this could not have been further than the truth.

Advertisement