Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leveling, rotivating and reseeding

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Novice Gardener here... Our garden is currently one big sloping L shaped area (approx 30x10m) . We'd like to "sink"/dig out one section of the garden (the bottom of the "L") about 18 inches and raise and level the other section (vertical piece of "L") and put a few steps and a small retaining wall between the two sections.

I assume we need to first rotivate the whole area, move the earth from the lower garden to upper garden, level both areas and then re-seed but I don't know if it's too late in the year to be taking on such a project and am worried we'll be left with a mud pit if we can't get grass to grow back or if we don't factor in drainage issues.

I'm not really sure where to start -e.g. where to hire a rotivator, and mini-digger and what things I need to look out for, so if anyone has any advice or good websites to recommend, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    CG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Novice Gardener here... Our garden is currently one big sloping L shaped area (approx 30x10m) . We'd like to "sink"/dig out one section of the garden (the bottom of the "L") about 18 inches and raise and level the other section (vertical piece of "L") and put a few steps and a small retaining wall between the two sections.

I assume we need to first rotivate the whole area, move the earth from the lower garden to upper garden, level both areas and then re-seed but I don't know if it's too late in the year to be taking on such a project and am worried we'll be left with a mud pit if we can't get grass to grow back or if we don't factor in drainage issues.

I'm not really sure where to start -e.g. where to hire a rotivator, and mini-digger and what things I need to look out for, so if anyone has any advice or good websites to recommend, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    CG

You can hire a rotovator at any 'tool hire shop'. There are plenty around dublin and most major towns. Many of these shops will deliver too, for an extra cost.
    A mini digger could be harder to find though...if you have a relatively small area you could do it by hand with a shovel. The rotovator will make it easier to shift the soil.
    You should also rent a 'roller'. Once you have rotovated and spread the soil this will help 'level' the surface eliminating small bumps etc.
    Regarding the timing, it does seem a bit late to me, but some of the other experts on here may have a more accurate opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm told September is a good time to saw grass seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

CG

you need to first establish the levels, determine position of retaining wall, excavate foundation, pour foundation, build wall and cut and fill excess soil from lower level to higher level.

A mini digger will be ideal for most of the initial groundworks and initial grading of lower level. A rotovator may be required to complete ground preparation of lower level.

We have done this type of work in the past and are in the preliminary stages of a similar but larger project with similar requirements. An overgorwn jaded garden will be landscaped on two levels and a sandstone faced retaining wall will divide the two levels.

A photo/progress reports will feature on our blog (SUNBLOG), but you will see other info on blog but also other areas of our website.

SB

Thanks so much!
    CG

Advertisement