Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N3 Customs check

Options
  • 13-08-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Yesterday I was driving along the N3 and there was what I thought was a usual tax and insurance check. When I got up to the top I noticed that the customs were also there and any car with a yellow reg was pulled over and all their paper work was being checked. This is the first time that I have seen this and have there been any other checks like this people have seen? Is the government now cracking down on folks trying to evade paying the VRT? Also noticed they have the tow truck there ready to impound any car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

cracking down big time, they need to get money from somewhere, on dole days in the border towns carrickmacross/castleblayney they have check points stopping all NI reg cars, if you give a northern address they check if you are claiming the dole, if you give a sothern address they impound the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The customs checks have been going on for years but they've become much more frequent recently. The most recent 'innovation' is the combined Garda, Customs and Social Welfare checkpoints that trackcar mentions above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

They have started a huge campaign.I was at a checkpoint the other day,the customs were dipping and checking for northern cars.The Social Welfare were also there and the asked my my PPS number and whether i was currently working or not.Their trying to catch out people that are working for cash and drawing the dole.The country is broke so their trying to get money anyway they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Checking if people are on the dole?
    Ok and so what, people can't drive their car when they are on dole now lol.

Checking if they are getting cash in hand job by providing PPS number, hum, ok?

Where are we going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Customs were in our estate yesterday. They went to a Nigerian family down the street that have a UK reg people carrier...cue lots of arguing and throwing up of hands...vehicle is still there this morning, with UK plates, so don't know if they've been given time to get it sorted or what.

On the issue of social welfare checks (not seen any round here myself but heard of plenty), do they expect you to have a copy of your PPS # with you at all times now too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

mick.fr wrote: »
    Checking if people are on the dole?
    Ok and so what, people can't drive their car when they are on dole now lol.

Checking if they are getting cash in hand job by providing PPS number, hum, ok?

Where are we going...

Been through a couple of these checkpoints. They're checking work vans and the like for people working and signing on. Judging by the numbers caught in a recent checkpoint in Carrickmacross theres a real need for these checkpoints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

furtzy wrote: »
    They're checking work vans and the like for people working and signing on.

Lol, no they're not, they're dipping and checking the fuel!

steve06 wrote: »

With the welfare agent?
    Lol come on guys

furtzy wrote: »
    Been through a couple of these checkpoints. They're checking work vans and the like for people working and signing on. Judging by the numbers caught in a recent checkpoint in Carrichmacross theres a real need for these checkpoints

Yeah ok makes more sense now, if you are driving a commercial VAN and are on the dol you probably have some explaining to do.

Eh no these are combined Garda, Customs and Social Welfare checkpoints...so no lol's there :)

• Advertisement

No. They're running multi-agency checkpoints near the border involving the Gardaí, Customs and Social Welfare. The Gardaí do their usual checks then direct any car on UK plates to Customs and Social Welfare. If the driver is claiming dole and driving a UK reg car they have them over the barrel. The driver will end up either having their car lifted for VRT or being pursued for social welfare fraud. It's proven a very successful strategy.

The details on these checkpoints and the levels of fraud they are targetting are described and outlined here

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2009/Pages/pr060309.aspx

You are going to be seeing a lot of these multi-agency checkpoints from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is a very neat piece of coordination. On the one hand a number of people really living in the North are claiming to be living in the South for dole purposes, while keeping their car registered at their real address. On the other hand quite a few people really living in the South and fully entitled to the dole are driving cars with no VRT on them. These checkpoints ensure that people are using the same address for both purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They had a checkpoint near the Phoenix Park station a while back. They were ushering any diesel cars up towards the station where a team of lads were checking the fuel in the cars. There were a number of cars already on a big transporter.

However, here's a question. If you're from NI and driving a UK reg car - what would you have to produce to prove you live in NI? What if you don't have your driving licence on you?
    Do they look for a utility bill or something like that?
    Wouldn't a lot of genuine people be in a bit of a pickle if they were asked for proof they didn't live in ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

You should have your licence with you, this will be sufficient to do the checks needed. If you live in Ireland but have a NI licence you might be lucky and get away with it but they might ask some questions and you could get caught out.

I live on the border and been through these checkpoints a few times now and yes there are social welfare people there too. It's a combined effort between, guards, customs and social services.

If you live in Ireland but have a NI licence you might be lucky and get away

I expect they'd be interested in whether you are living in the South, as all NI licence holders live in Ireland. You are supposed to have your licence with you in any case, but without it you might have some problems, customs is the only area where you have to prove your innocence rather than the authorities proving your guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

So what happens if you live in Dublin,work in Northern Ireland and have a company car from the North?

dmca77 wrote: »
    So what happens if you live in Dublin,work in Northern Ireland and have a company car from the North?

Wouldn't the ruling be that the car should be left in NI every evening? Your place of residence is the RoI so the car should be registered here.... I think.

Don't think thats the case.
    sure cannot be

sure cannot be

I'm actually curious to hear the proper answer to this one too! Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

sure cannot be

It is. If you are normally resident, you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle.

Cant see that being the case as I would not be allowed to drive home. I pay tax in the united kingdom and my contract states I can drive the vehicle for business and personal use in europe.

There has been case law on this, perhaps someone can quote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

yip, there gone mad, customs workers are breaking out in sweat for once, as for the checkpoints , the gardai will probably try and convince you that its against the law to drive a motor viechel without having your pps card present,

this would make a mighty fine gift grub indeed, a check point dealing with the "scum" (dont take offence its a joke)on our roads,

do you have your pps number present sir,

are you aware that it is an offence against the state not to carry your pps number at all times sir,

step out of the car please sir and put your hands behind your back.

re company cars

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt2.html

says (para 11)

Can a State resident drive a foreign registered vehicle for business use?

Yes, but in the following circumstances only:-

* A State resident who is employed by an employer established in another Member State may, on application to the Revenue Commissioners, be approved to use a Category A vehicle or a motor-cycle registered in another Member State (either owned or leased by the employer) for business/private use in the State. However, the vehicle must be used primarily in the other Member State. (Application forms for this temporary exemption are available from Vehicle Registration Offices)
    * A State resident who is employed by an employer established in another Member State is eligible to use Category B & C vehicles registered in another Member State (either owned or leased by the employer) for business/private use in the State.
    * A State resident who is an employee of a car-hire firm established outside the State is allowed to drive a vehicle for the purpose of returning it to the firm after the vehicle was left in the State on expiry of a hire contract.
    * In other circumstances where authorised in writing by the Revenue Commissioners.

I come under b/c vehicles.
    I guess my contract is correct. Looks like I'll have to carry about with me to prove the status.

Probably better to contact the Revenue with the contract and get a letter, and keep the letter to hand.

I come under b/c vehicles.
    I guess my contract is correct. Looks like I'll have to carry about with me to prove the status.
    Note that in the above rules 'Category A' refers to the Revenue definition for VRT purposes that includes standard passenger cars, not the licensing categories where a car would be 'Category B'. It's never simple and consistent is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ardmacha wrote: »
    There has been case law on this, perhaps someone can quote it.

...no need - on 'Customs' last week they took a NI reg 7-Series off a ROI driver under the Section 139 of the Finance Act 1992, . See it here: ...and look go to min 10:20.

You cannot drive or be in possession of a foreign registered car if you're an Irish resident. Period.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement