Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curses

Options
  • 13-08-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all

I'd like to know what are people's views on curses? Do they exist? I'm usually a bit of a skeptic but a few things have happened recently that are making me think they could be real.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My opinion on curses is that they work in a similar way to the placebo effect in healing. The placebo effect is a powerful way in which the mind can make a patient better, just because they believe they will get better. In the same way I think curses harm because a believer thinks they will. Otherwise normal but unfortunate occurances can be ascribed to a 'curse' because of the victims mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

sarmer wrote: »
    Hi all

I'd like to know what are people's views on curses? Do they exist? I'm usually a bit of a skeptic but a few things have happened recently that are making me think they could be real.

Thanks

Well if a witch appeared in your kitchen and cursed you by turning you into a frog, and you are hopping around on your keyboard right now, then I suppose the answer is YES, there are such things as curses...

But since I don't know your story, care to tell me how you were cursed so we can say for sure? What things have been happening to you recently, and do you think anyone has actually put a curse on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

No such thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im with Oryx on this one. I believe curses to be completely pyschological. I also dont believe in luck either but thats another story!

The problem with thinking you are cursed is that you might have 100 things that go right for you during a day and 2 things go bad. On a normal day you wouldnt give it a second thought but if you reckon you are cursed then you will actually use the "2 bad things happened to me today" to solidify your belief.

My cousin bate the parish priest once, because he hadn't Money to pay for fixing the church roof. (This is the side of the family that I take after btw)
    The priest put a curse on him, that he would never have anyone after him and he would die miserable and alone.

He married 3 times, all died and left no children.

When his end came, he spent the best part of a day bleeding out, knowing that nobody was coming home to help him.

Their might be no truth to them, but I bet his last thoughts were of that priest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

not sure about calling it a curse, but I do think you can send a vibe or call it what you like to make someones life uncomfortable,,

but do it at your perle, karma bites back,

if you feel there is a curse on you, fix the thing you did to receive it in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

fintonie wrote: »

but do it at your perle, karma bites back,

if you feel there is a curse on you, fix the thing you did to receive it in the first place.

I dont believe in karma either, well not the traditional view of it. A Buddhist explained what karma really is to a year ago and it has very little to do with what most of us think.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

faceman wrote: »
    I dont believe in karma either, well not the traditional view of it. A Buddhist explained what karma really is to a year ago and it has very little to do with what most of us think.
    Any chance of an abridged explanation here??

OK Ill use the term in the traditional sense, would you like to share the Buddhists view.

before i start, Im not a Buddhist, so hopefully my brief explanation does offend. Im trying to aticulate what was explained to me vocally.

The traditional view of karma is that what goes around comes around. I.e. if i for example cheat someone out of money, later in life, karma will get me as i will either suffer financially or someone will cheat me out of money.

Many religions have a different view on karma. With Buddhism everyone has a karma. Karma is the action of doing, saying or thinking. Every action, thought etc can bring about a "result" (for the want of a better word) in either this life or one of your next lives.

Buddhists believe thats its not the action or words that affect your karma, but the intention behind it, regardless of whether it was intentional or unintentional. Although obviously the intentional factor carries the greater weight. If you have positive/good intention behind an action, then you are affecting your karma positively and attracting same, if if your intention is evil/bad, then the opposite is the case. But thats not to say that if you rip someone off, you will be ripped off at some stage. If your karma is negative enough, you may find yourself attracting negative energy, negative people and unhappiness. Karma as such results in tendencies/traits as opposed to physical reactions.

The important thing though is that Karma does not determine your future. Karma is very much conditional on a wide range of other factors. And therefore the "result" can vary a great deal. Its also possible to improve your karma.

Final point is that you are 100% responsible for your karma. A higher power or a god, nor superstititions, pre determined fate can influence your intention behind your actions.

Not all religions have the same view of karma as I said. Jains believe that karma does whollly determine the "result".

Ive only really give a very basic view on it but i hope it sheds some light on it.

• Advertisement

I have to say I would be of the same opinion after reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

A nocebo response may explain the phenomenon of the voodoo curse in which a victim dies only because a belief in the power of the witch doctor has been so ingrained that, after he has been hexed, the target simply cannot believe that he will live. Other cases have been reported in which a patient has died after having been given a terminal prognosis; only for a post-mortem to reveal no such fatal disease was present. A few scientific studies have also looked at the phenomenon, including one in which volunteers were told that the researchers were looking for a link between mobile phone usage and the incidence of headaches. Throughout the trial a number of users reported headaches, even when (unbeknown to them), the phone they were using was actually an empty shell.

http://brainblogger.com/2009/07/15/the-curse-of-the-nocebo-effect/

Some people maintain that belief kills (e.g., "voodoo death": Cannon (1942) describes a number of "voodoo deaths" from a variety of different cultures) and belief heals (e.g., faith healing).

A "self-willed" death (due to voodoo hex, evil eye, pointing the bone procedure,[5] etc.) is an extreme form of a culture-specific syndrome or sociogenic illness, that produces a particular form of psychosomatic or psychophysiological disorder, which results in a psychogenic death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

before i start, Im not a Buddhist, so hopefully my brief explanation does offend. Im trying to aticulate what was explained to me vocally.

The traditional view of karma is that what goes around comes around. I.e. if i for example cheat someone out of money, later in life, karma will get me as i will either suffer financially or someone will cheat me out of money.

Many religions have a different view on karma. With Buddhism everyone has a karma. Karma is the action of doing, saying or thinking. Every action, thought etc can bring about a "result" (for the want of a better word) in either this life or one of your next lives.

Buddhists believe thats its not the action or words that affect your karma, but the intention behind it, regardless of whether it was intentional or unintentional. Although obviously the intentional factor carries the greater weight. If you have positive/good intention behind an action, then you are affecting your karma positively and attracting same, if if your intention is evil/bad, then the opposite is the case. But thats not to say that if you rip someone off, you will be ripped off at some stage. If your karma is negative enough, you may find yourself attracting negative energy, negative people and unhappiness. Karma as such results in tendencies/traits as opposed to physical reactions.

The important thing though is that Karma does not determine your future. Karma is very much conditional on a wide range of other factors. And therefore the "result" can vary a great deal. Its also possible to improve your karma.

Final point is that you are 100% responsible for your karma. A higher power or a god, nor superstititions, pre determined fate can influence your intention behind your actions.

Not all religions have the same view of karma as I said. Jains believe that karma does whollly determine the "result".

Ive only really give a very basic view on it but i hope it sheds some light on it.

Yeah Faceman, Id definitely be with you/them on this one. Ive believed this for a few years now because I thought it made sense. It's said that the Akashic Records only account for and store the intent behind everything you do/say - not any of the transitory crap, like how people rewarded you for your generous deeds (where you may have done the deeds grudgingly), or you said something ruinous and cruel about a person just to agree with your buddies, and so on.

Good intentions lead to good vibrations, heheheh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They're psychological. If you go around in a negative mindset believing that you have a curse on you, then every bad thing is amplified. In reality, relative to our environment (ie. ghetto versus posh suburbia), some people have it really bad, some people have it really good, but most people have a mixture of both spread throughout their lives. It's not always evenly distributed throughout life, though, so if you're going through a particularly bad patch, and you have this kind of magical thinking, then there's a good chance that you'll attribute it to a curse or a hex or a voodoo doll or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Yes like the Karma explanation there from Faceman - I'd be inclined to go with that.

And i do agree that you can affect your situation depending on how you look at things, negatively or positively.

I do also believe in luck, good or bad. And I must say i've come across a few nasty people in my time, and now see their miserable lives. They are either consumed by their own negative twisted lives, or they are getting their just deserves!

In terms of curses. I've heard of them, I wouldn't like to be cursed, and I've an open mind on them. I'd like to know whats happened to the person who started this thread???
    Why are you asking about curses, what has happened to you?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Exactly.. Law of the Lever tbh.. it's all Physics

Edit: OP, I would suggest arming yourself with this as a possible remedy www.thesecret.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I you make one, you will take one, get someone else to do it for you...............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

sarmer wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks

a witch told me to be careful about using them as they can rebound.
    it may not be what looking but in Gaelic we can wish peole ill.
    i wish you you death my drowning etc. is a form of curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Yeah Faceman, Id definitely be with you/them on this one. Ive believed this for a few years now because I thought it made sense. It's said that the Akashic Records only account for and store the intent behind everything you do/say - not any of the transitory crap, like how people rewarded you for your generous deeds (where you may have done the deeds grudgingly), or you said something ruinous and cruel about a person just to agree with your buddies, and so on.

Good intentions lead to good vibrations, heheheh :D

only the Ignorant wouldn't believe in Karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

ok. whats considered a curse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

It's all a load of bollocks. It's all down to chance

Advertisement