Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing scripts...

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

just wondering, would ye advice viewing all papers just to be sure ders no mistakes, or is there much point if your happy enough with a subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you've gotten the points you need and you're happy with your results, don't waste your time getting a recheck.

In 6 month's time, no-one will care what your results were. I did mine 9 years ago and for the past 8 years, the space taken up by my LC results on my CV is "Leaving Cert 2000: 6 Honours, 1 Pass".

Nobody will care, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

seamus wrote: »
    If you've gotten the points you need and you're happy with your results, don't waste your time getting a recheck.

In 6 month's time, no-one will care what your results were. I did mine 9 years ago and for the past 8 years, the space taken up by my LC results on my CV is "Leaving Cert 2000: 6 Honours, 1 Pass".

Nobody will care, trust me.

Well I would slightly diasagree with that sentiment for certain careers. My sisters boyfriend who has just completed an MBA was asked about his leaving certificate results in an interview for a consultantcy job. He did his leaving in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

if your happy with your results and you did better than you thought (like myself) i dont see the point in viewing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't say certain careers, I'd say "certain interviews". It's a ridiculous question as the contents of someone's leaving cert 15 years ago tells you absolutely nothing about what capabilities that person has now - i.e. they'll have forgotten lots (if not most) of what they studied for LC and will have gained a lot of other skills since.

Again, whether you got a B1 or B2 in maths will not matter 2 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

thanks for all the replies! :) all good points. i was just thinking of it because while i'm happy with the overall result, i was hoping for slightly more. plus in certain subjects i was expecting better! and just viewing them can surely be no harm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

exactly. it won't do any harm and you'll get proper closure on all your subjects. if you were only off a grade by a few percent, you can appeal just for your own peace of mind.

i got 50 points more than i expected, and more than my first choice course was last year, but i'm going to view all my scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

Viewing costs nothing and even if you are happy with your results it might just be nice to see where you got or lost marks.

and, A succesful recheck is refunded so you may find a mistake and get an upgrade in points even if unneeded it may give you a sense of satisfaction after working so hard

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I wouldn't say certain careers, I'd say "certain interviews". It's a ridiculous question as the contents of someone's leaving cert 15 years ago tells you absolutely nothing about what capabilities that person has now
    I would agree, and I've sat on a fair few interview panels.

Generally, one tends to look at the highest educational qualifications ... so if someone has gone on to third level, the likelihood of much notice being paid to LC is slight.

Perhaps if one has done a language at LC and got a good result, and that's relevant ... or if say there was a requirement for some level of maths in the job, and the last time you studied maths was at LC ... something like that might be noted all right, but in general if you've gone on further, that's what will get the attention, not the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I wouldn't say certain careers, I'd say "certain interviews". It's a ridiculous question as the contents of someone's leaving cert 15 years ago tells you absolutely nothing about what capabilities that person has now - i.e. they'll have forgotten lots (if not most) of what they studied for LC and will have gained a lot of other skills since.

Again, whether you got a B1 or B2 in maths will not matter 2 years from now.

I'd have to disagree with you there,the point of the leaving cert is not exactly to show how much you learned,but more-so,it acts as an indication of your willingness and determination to work,which in many employer's eyes will be quite important.

Advertisement