Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chewing gum. Is it outdated?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Around since the mid 1800's, is the concept of chewing gum a bit outdated and old fashioned? Or still magical little pieces of flavored gum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Still magical.

It calms nerves, and can help people giving up smoking or trying to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I cant stand the stuff myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

AH, What?

Well those ads are certainly out dated but gum isnt its probably as popular today as it ever has been...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That second gum ad is weird man.

Anyway - it's all about meat flavoured chews nowadays people. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Only outdated when you're finished with it

EDIT: thats actually terrible:rolleyes:

That 2nd add is creepy too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If Sir Alex Ferguson didn't exist then the chewing gum industry would have died a long long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Back in the day you could get chewing gum with cocaine in it for when you had a toothache.

Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dragan wrote: »
    Back in the day you could get chewing gum with cocaine in it for when you had a toothache.

Mad.

And then choke to death after trying to unblock your nostrils.........:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No way man, it's almost my favourite thing to do along with rollerskating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Potatoes must be really outdated then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dragan wrote: »

Mad.

Back before dentists were invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

yes chewing gum is outdated, it's all crack cocaines and heroins these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Chewing gum is sh1te and has always been beyond sh1te.

*Gets coat* :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Chewing gum is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Well I have to say I do enjoy a piece of gum! Blowing (bubbles) with is is outdated! methinks! - very 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

it just seems like one of those things that was invented in America back when everyone wore leather jackets, had combed back gelled hair and used to hang around in Diners with the girls and guys eyeing each other up and going to outdoor drive in movies with their popcorn, cola and sticks of gum, swell. :)

the stuff gives me heartburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

it just seems like one of those things that was invented in America

People have been chewing gum-type substances for a long time before the New World was discovered.

It's about a minute of flavour followed by nothing, like chewing a balloon.

One of my "odd" aunts used to stick her worn out lump of gum under a table, or under the edge of a chair, or wherever else she could off-load it - dirty bastard! A lot of people do this.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's about a minute of flavour followed by nothing, like chewing a balloon.

One of my "odd" aunts used to stick her worn out lump of gum under a table, or under the edge of a chair, or wherever else she could off-load it - dirty bastard! A lot of people do this.:eek:

It's about not bottling the 10th person in a row in the nightclub who spend 20 minutes complaining that they have to wait for a drink and then not knowing the order/having money ready when you went to serve them. At least back in my night club days that's what gum was for, never the flavour.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    It's about not bottling the 10th person in a row in the nightclub who spend 20 minutes complaining that they have to wait for a drink and then not knowing the order/having money ready when you went to serve them. At least back in my night club days that's what gum was for, never the flavour.

My aunt would've dragged em over the bar and torn them limb from limb, gum or no gum:eek: She was a cross between John Wayne and Gwen Stefani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Around since the mid 1800's, is the concept of chewing gum a bit outdated and old fashioned? Or still magical little pieces of flavored gum?

That third ad is creepy, imagine being stalked like that while you're checking out the vinyls....

anyway, if your chewing gum is outdated you're chewing it too long.

Advertisement