Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from the UK - Road Tax

Options
  • 13-08-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Soryy if this has come up before ... I did check but could not find anything exactly in line with my situation ...

I've just purchased a car from a UK main dealer ... it is second hand and over six months old meeting criteria etc. I understand all the issues with having to present it for VRT 1 day after arrival but ...

The car is untaxed in the UK (previous owner car was the car manufacturer who had it refunded) ... I plan to drive for a few days in the UK before taking is home ... Technically (at least according to unhelpful people at DVLA) this means it must be taxed for UK driving but it won't be registered in my name in the UK and I don't have UK insurance to present to a post office over there (my Irish insurance will be extended to cover it) ... IN fact I prefer not to re-register it in the UK since that would mean being without the V5c form for a while when I get it home making possible problems for customs and excise.

My questions -

• How have other people dealt with this issue?
    • Do you just get the dealer to certify that the car is being permanently exported and present this if stopped by the police or ...?
    • How strict are the customer people about paying VRT 1 day after import? I may need a few days to get my act together ... or worst case I may be without the V5C if this tax issue can't be solved. Do they look for evidence of when you brought it into the country?

... One bit of slightly good news, the DVLA said that I can get my road tax money back minus 1 month ... however this is useless if I can't tax the damn car in the first place!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it were me, I think i'd consider just renting a cheap car in the UK for the couple of days, they have a lot more ANPR cars than we do. It basically comes down to how lucky you feel. RE the VRT payment, a couple of days should be ok if you keep the car off the public road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

You must have the V5 less the export part.
    No V5, no registration. End of story.

If you have the V5 with previous seller signature and yours, I would not be too worried about driving the car in the UK for a few days.
    As long as you are insured and can prove it.

Once in Ireland go to the VRO office on day 1 and get a quote and document that prove that you went to the office to register the car.
    If you need a few more days to sort some stuffs out, that's fine.
    The document the VRO provides gives you an extra 15 days to register.

Your story sound complicated anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Yep ... It is a bit complex ... I'm sure 9 times out of 10 it is simpler for others since the second hand car probably has some tax remaining on it ...

As regards renting a car ... would not really help since I still need to drive it on UK roads to get it to a port ... and to be honest, I'd like to give my car a good run in case there are problems that make it necessary to take back to the dealer ...

Yep ... It is a bit complex ... I'm sure 9 times out of 10 it is simpler for others since the second hand car probably has some tax remaining on it ...

As regards renting a car ... would not really help since I still need to drive it on UK roads to get it to a port ... and to be honest, I'd like to give my car a good run in case there are problems that make it necessary to take back to the dealer ...

If you have the V5 signed less the export part, I would not be worried about being stopped by Police. Many are buying cars from the UK and bringing them home.
    Avoid getting out at night and doing stupid things on the road though.

Thanks for the advice ... dealer managed to solve it for me ...

He got a 7 day Jaguar policy which enabled him to tax the car and keep the V5 ...

happy days ...

Now to take my new baby up to Scotland for a test run ... :D

Still I'm sure someone has come up against this problem in the past .. so I'd be interested in hearing how they handle it ...

I guess I'm just being too honest ... but those DVLA ad's where the car is being crushed for not having tax scare me a little ... I guess that's what they are supposed to do!

• Advertisement

... Now I've got to head to Fonthill to NCT my old car ... see if I can sell it at some point ...

but those DVLA ad's where the car is being crushed for not having tax scare me a little ... I guess that's what they are supposed to do!

Put a CD sticker on your car and you will be grant :D

Advertisement