Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fog of War

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Former Defence secretary Robert McNamara gives his 11 lessons of war. Why do RTE have to put this excellent, academy award winning doc on at 3AM?! This kind of thing should be on at prime time... great viewing for anyone still up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Great film.
    The time I saw it,they showed it at a very late hour.I only watched it because of the title-glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

j1smithy wrote: »
    Why do RTE have to put this excellent, academy award winning doc on at 3AM?!
    You new to RTE?! :confused:

RTE might as well change their slogan to be "Quality programming in terrible time-slots!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm glad I stayed up late for no reason last night, because I stumbled upon this documentary in doing so and I have to say it was a fantastic watch.

It really should have been shown at a more suitable hour, but that's RTÉ for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The Fog of war was already shown on Rté in December last year, during "normal" viewing hours. (i.e. before Midnight, iirc)

It is an excellent piece of work, but if they had shown this movie again during prime time, no doubt someone would have complained about the quick repeat of documentaries on Rté, and how they aren't giving value for money etc etc..

Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

The Fog of war was already shown on Rté in December last year, during "normal" viewing hours. (i.e. before Midnight, iirc)

It is an excellent piece of work, but if they had shown this movie again during prime time, no doubt someone would have complained about the quick repeat of documentaries on Rté, and how they aren't giving value for money etc etc..

Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

I didn't know it had been on before at a more reasonable time, but it seems such a travesty to bury a high quality doc at such an ungodly hour. I hadn't known much about the man until he died last month and read his obituary. In that sense it would have been right to have had it on, if not during prime time, at least have it start before midnight, as in a sense its sort of topical at the moment.

They could put reruns of kojak on at that time and no one would care. Last nights main film was "Die Another Day" possibly one of the worst Bond films of all time (this is coming from a bond fan). But maybe it says more about us, that we are more interested in pretty girls and explosions, rather than the insights into the mind of the architect of the Vietnam war and one of the most controversial public figures of the 60's.

/lament

• Advertisement
Advertisement