Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CV joint broken after brake disc change

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi lads

Yesterday gave my car to mechanic to change front disc/ pads. OK done collected after few hours. Now whenever i turn left there is rubbing metal sound on front driver wheel. It wasn't there before he changed brake discs.

Is there any possibility he damaged CV joint while changing brake discs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It is possible he could have but I would think this would be due to a part being nearly gone and the stress caused by changing the disc just pushed it over the edge.

No harm popping it back to him and let him have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I reckon its either a seized caliper, or else he hasnt lubricated the pads well enough, therefore the disc is rubbing of the pad as its turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Sounds like a common issue. There is a light metal shield behind the disk that can be easily bent slightly out of line and so rub the disk as it is loaded up on cornering. If so, its not a big deal and can be sorted without even removing the wheel. It is possible to poke a long screwdriver through the wheel and push the shield back a few mm.

Advertisement