Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wimmins! share your motor mechanic horror stories...

Options
  • 13-08-2009 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

:D

you know the type, you go into a garage and ask for your wipers to be fixed and he gives you a bill for 350e and says the egr valve also needed to go along with a reconditioned alternator....

well....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's a post over in motors about a girl going into a motor factors and asking for a liter of fully sympathetic oil, made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Not to do with going into a garage but a year or so ago, I was driving along and thought to myself my car felt a bit.... funny. Figured I was just being weird that day so ignored the pull on the steering wheel and kept driving. Was doing a good 80-100kmph on a bendy, back road when suddenly I heard a bang and my car swerved across the road and the front ended up in a ditch.

I got out, saw black all over the road and on further investigation, noted that my back tyre looked as though someone had taken a knife to it and sliced it the whole way round.

A nice man stopped to help me and I told him, "Oh, I got a flat tyre". "Yes", he said, "about 50km ago, I'd say. Why did you continue to drive on it?"....

I couldn't tell him I hadn't actually noticed hahaha :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If he knew you had it 50 Km ago, maybe he was following you until you stopped so that he could be a hero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If he knew you had it 50 Km ago, maybe he was following you until you stopped so that he could be a hero?
    I think that he was only doing what anybody would do . Nice chap him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i know a woman who was charged €700 she dropped it in because the breaks were not working right one frosty morning, her next mechanic said this is normal, ABS was stopping the wheels locking up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

A nice man stopped to help me and I told him, "Oh, I got a flat tyre". "Yes", he said, "about 50km ago, I'd say. Why did you continue to drive on it?"....
    well if it only went bang at the end it still had air in it I guess, must have deformed though and eventually gave up dramatically, you would have known if it had been flat... right ??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

:D

you know the type, you go into a garage and ask for your wipers to be fixed and he gives you a bill for 350e and says the egr valve also needed to go along with a reconditioned alternator....

well....:)

:confused::confused: why would you bring your car to a garage to change your wipers?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

For the NCT they specifically say on the letter - please remove the hubcaps before the test. So a friend of mine goes to a mechanic for a pre-NCT and at the end of it she asks him to pop the hubcaps off... 'um, sorry mam, these are alloys..'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

I always get my Dad to take my car to the garage for me instead. They wouldn't overcharge him, he can spot a bullsh!tter a mile off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Last year I sent my OH into Consort for a service kit for my Skoda Octavia - and a "DeLorean flux capacitor"... :D

Ya shudda seen the face on her when she came out!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Last year I sent my OH into Consort for a service kit for my Skoda Octavia - and a "DeLorean flux capacitor"... :D

Holy ****! What garage can you get those in? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

could happen to anyone...I brought the car into a garage cause I had this nasty smell of oil inside the car. Couldn't figure it out. (not exhaust fumes, but actual oil).

Your man in the garage said it was a big problem, he'd have to take the ventilation out, deinstall the heating, the central car column, and other random bits of fancy sounding parts my car allegedly had. Massive job, at least 1000 Euros worth of repairs.

Until I spotted that the lid for the oil inlet (where you fill in your engine oil) had come off. Screwed it back on, started the engine, smell was gone.
    Crestfallen look on the mechanics face. He almost got away with it.

(why I didn't think to check the engine myself first, I don't know...)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have preferred to see the look on your face when she came out with the "DeLorean Flux Capacitor" and minus 500 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

How the F could you keep a straight face???! -

right so love thats the oil and filter ya need, oh and yeah don't forget the (heh heh) flux capacitor! (snigger snigger)

LMAO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Novella wrote: »
    Not to do with going into a garage but a year or so ago, I was driving along and thought to myself my car felt a bit.... funny. Figured I was just being weird that day so ignored the pull on the steering wheel and kept driving. Was doing a good 80-100kmph on a bendy, back road when suddenly I heard a bang and my car swerved across the road and the front ended up in a ditch.

I got out, saw black all over the road and on further investigation, noted that my back tyre looked as though someone had taken a knife to it and sliced it the whole way round.

I couldn't tell him I hadn't actually noticed hahaha :o

He drives she dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DamoDLK wrote: »
    How the F could you keep a straight face???! -

right so love thats the oil and filter ya need, oh and yeah don't forget the (heh heh) flux capacitor! (snigger snigger)

LMAO!!

It's easy to keep a straight face when you've got an OH.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Awh, that would've been kinda sweet!
    well if it only went bang at the end it still had air in it I guess, must have deformed though and eventually gave up dramatically, you would have known if it had been flat... right ??

Hmm.... I'd love to say yes but no, I probably wouldn't know even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Many years ago when we lived in the UK my wife took her car into a local garage for it to be MOT tested. They failed in for a worn steering column bottom bearing and wanted big money to renew it -- steering rack and column out, dash out etc etc.

I took her car back to them and asked the manager to show me the faulty bearing. "Why?" he asked. "Because this make of car doesn't bloody have one." I snapped. I then pointed out to him that I was the chief engineer of the largest motor works in the county and was also the chief tester for our MOT test service. The expression on his face was priceless:D

Advertisement