Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitoring camera's

Options
  • 12-08-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

not sure of my question here.

Our situ is - aprt complex. Security camera's, which record to a central computer (I think it's a computer) somewhere on site. It has been suggested by the management agents that they upgrade the system to include the capacity for us to monitor the camera's and access the recordings.

They are suggesting connecting eircom to the computer, and allowing residents read access to the recordings, via "a static IP address".

Cost for the set up is yet to be identified, save that there will be a recurring €480 p.a. for Eircom's involvement.

Given all the apartments have phone lines and cable installed (and presumably routed through a central point), I figured there must be a way of setting up some form of network within the complex, so at least the recurring cost isn't there.

Idea's?
    thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

wrong forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

TBH not so sure this is a wonderful idea. If any more than 2/3 people try to view video over the network, even a CAT5 cable is gonna have trouble coping with the bandwidth, thats assuming the DVR can accommodate multiple users. You could throw up a wireless network quite cheaply though, say 1 router in each corridoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Please either learn to use apostrophes correctly, or don't use them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

uberwolf wrote: »
    wrong forum?

Moved to Net&Comms.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Please either learn to use apostrophes correctly, or don't use them at all.

Stay helpful. That comment is not necessary.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ok this is very possible. And depending on the system you can 5 to a hundred people access the drives at the same time. Is there a reason why one would want to view back recorded images? Obviously for the first month everyone would want to use it after that people would get bored. I would have though live images to you tv might be better. You could do this through the distubted tv system thats already in place and save a fortune. I would then recommend that one or two people be put in charge of the system and if someone really requires footage then you contact the people in charge.

If on the other hand they were replacing the unit you could get one that will handle multiple requests without crapping out. Interesting set up. Id like to know more about it if you have any more updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭jamesd

Wouldnt it be be unprivate for people there if others could be watching them on cctv all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

jamesd wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be be unprivate for people there if others could be watching them on cctv all the time?

I'd assume common areas (hallways/main door/carpark etc.) would be covered. It'd be a bit odd cooking your dinner with the neighbours watching.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭jamesd

Id still find others watching you in hallways a bit off putting, I have cctv around my house at home and I would be very freaked if someone else could be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the broad idea is that if anyone hears anything or if there is an incident, then the residents committee has access to identify whether anything was caught on camera, and if so to make sure the footage is recorded.

Ideally this could be done from the convenience of the living room. I'm keen to avoid the easy solution - i.e. connect the CCTV to the web, and allow password protected web access, because this foists a high ongoing cost, rather I'm inclined to believe there must be a means of setting up a LAN for the purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Keeping it internal is a good idea, obviously enough. Easy option would be to plug the DVR into a WPA2 protected WLAN and give the passkey to the committee.

Somewhat limited distance with this, but that in itself may be an advantage as it would require effort from a person to bring a laptop within range of the wireless network, thus preventing ongoing casual access.

To get it into the living room wouldn't be as trivial. It is possible to run ethernet over 2 pair telephone cable for small distances, but beyond that it requires non-standard equipment. OBviously couldn't use the phone line at the same time either.

Or the other option is as FusionNet describes, a live feed through the co-ax cable network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Well Hellooo

:mad:In my apartment complex, an apartment owner has taken over, (four years now), doesn't show accounts or have A.G.M's...HAS C.C.T.V. IN HIS APARTMENT!...bully boy tactics reign and I will not pay till the Government brings out legislation. Bring me to court bring it on. already been lots of times and judges don't know what to do!
    Question? Is fraud legal in Ireland?
    Answer: Yes it is. So fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Zombie thread...locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement