Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 Medals

Options
  • 12-08-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭

THis was discovered in the back garden of a house some years back and did a bit of research but to no avail. I'm uploading the pics onto the ww1 forum due to the date so not even sure its from ww1 but hopefully someone can shed light on it.

F27EAE01C1CF4E5FB30A0629D51654DA-800.jpg

CE40F80B39F44253AFB18662AE21871F-800.jpg

8B0CCA4600B84A03A32DD96E9595CD87-800.jpg

Would love to get some feedback. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

What you have is an 1914/15 Star to a Private in the Highland light Infantry(the famous Blackwatch),below are a list of British campaign medals,the 1914 Star is bacically the same only for the date on the front of the medal and issued only for the time period shown,the Star you have was then brought in for service up to the end of 1915,after this most soldiers only recieved the British War Medal and Victory medal,Sadly the photos are not linking up so I'll see if I can find some more.I've had a look on the Common Wealth War Graves Commission and he's not showing as a casaulty and on the National Archives website shows that at a later stage he made the rank of 2nd Lieutenant also with the Highland light Infantry,his medal index card is available to download from this site for two pounds and will show you his full medal entitlements.

What are campaign medals?
    Campaign medals were awarded to individuals who served in the First World War, who met the qualifications laid down for each medal. In general all those who saw service overseas were awarded a campaign medal. The qualifications for each campaign medal are:

The 1914 Star
    1914-star.jpg

Instituted in 1917 for service ashore in France and Flanders between 5 August and 22 November 1914. In 1919 a clasp bearing the above dates was authorised and given to those individuals who had actually been under fire between the prescribed dates.

The 1914/15 Star
    1914-15-star.jpg

Authorised in 1918, the 1914/15 Star was awarded to those individuals who saw service in France and Flanders from 23 November 1914 to 31 December 1915, and to those individuals who saw service in any other operational theatre from 5 August 1914 to 31 December 1915.

The British War Medal
    british-war-medal.jpg

The British War Medal 1914-1920, authorised in 1919, was awarded to eligible service personnel and civilians. Qualification for the award varied slightly according to service. The basic requirement for army personnel and civilians was that they either entered a theatre of war, or rendered approved service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Service in Russia in 1919 and 1920 also qualified for the award.

The Victory Medal
    victory-medal.jpg

The Victory Medal 1914-1919 was also authorised in 1919 and was awarded to all eligible personnel who served on the establishment of a unit in an operational theatre.

The Territorial Force War Medal
    territorial-force-medal.jpg

The Territorial Force War Medal 1914-1919 was awarded to members of the Territorial Force only. To qualify, the recipient had to have been a member of the Territorial Force on or prior to 30 September 1914, and to have served in an operational theatre outside of the United Kingdom between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918.

The Silver War Badge
    silver-war-badge.jpg

The Silver War Badge, sometimes erroneously called the Silver Wound Badge, was authorised in September 1916 and takes the form of a circular badge with the legend "For King and Empire-Services Rendered" surrounding the George V cypher. The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who were discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks do much arnhem44, that was really generous of you to take the time to explain that to me. It really interested me from a historical point of view and how the medal managed to make its way to a back yard of someones house (house was probably built in the 40s/50s). Might have a look to see who owned the house before hand if thats even possible.

Would like to start looking into this a bit more so if you don't mind i might be annoying you with questions every so often!

Thanks do much arnhem44, that was really generous of you to take the time to explain that to me. It really interested me from a historical point of view and how the medal managed to make its way to a back yard of someones house (house was probably built in the 40s/50s). Might have a look to see who owned the house before hand if thats even possible.

Would like to start looking into this a bit more so if you don't mind i might be annoying you with questions every so often!

No problem,if I can help ask away,the photos of the medals above are now sorted.Also I forgot to mention that Mcintosh's first name was Kenneth.A nice find you got yourself,tell me was it actually buried in the back garden?,it would be interesting to find out more about who lived there and how the medal came about been there.You'll often find that a soldiers medal entitlements have been split over the years,the star,war and victory medals were nicknamed by the soldiers as Pip,Squeak and Wilfred,some soldiers fell on hard times after the war and sold the war medal because of its silver content,thats one of the reasons that you see so many campaign medals on sites like ebay selling by themselves and not in groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

just had a look at the medal card for Kenneth A(lexander) McIntosh on Ancestry. The second part of the card shows that the 14-15 Star was applied for by A McIntosh Esq for the late 2nd Lt K McIntosh.

address in 1919 given as 34 Somertown (?) Road, Govan, Glasgow.

He's on the CWGC site as MacIntosh

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=32754

He was in the 6th (City of Glasgow) Battalion of the HLI and some info about the units war service is online at :

http://www.1914-1918.net/hli.htm

just had a look at the medal card for Kenneth A(lexander) McIntosh on Ancestry. The second part of the card shows that the 14-15 Star was applied for by A McIntosh Esq for the late 2nd Lt K McIntosh.

address in 1919 given as 34 Somertown (?) Road, Govan, Glasgow.

He's on the CWGC site as MacIntosh

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=32754

He was in the 6th (City of Glasgow) Battalion of the HLI and some info about the units war service is online at :

http://www.1914-1918.net/hli.htm

Excellent find,I really must take out a membership to Ancestry.The medal is even more intriging now that he was a casualty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How sad that his medal ended up thrown in a back garden.

It is alright,I tried to find his Gazette entry last night for his commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant but it failed me to find him listed

Advertisement