Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "kitten with diarrhea" thread

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have the same story as user khrystyna100 a few threads ago: kitten has had diarrhea (to the extent of slight incontinence) ever since i got her. She's about 3 months old and otherwise happy, drinks water, no milk. Eats quality kitten food and we also tried a diet for sensitive stomachs but no help. The only difference in my case would be that she has a somewhat bloated belly - also ever since i got her. I have wormed her and she is clean (was tested for parasites).

Anyhow, the vet says if it had been anything serious, the kitten would be dead (or very ill) by now. So all i've been given is lactobacterial supplements and a recommendation to bulk up with fiber...
    I'm thinking i should probably get her x-rayed and scanned with ultrasound but the vet says it's expensive and not much point :confused:
    Does anyone have any experience, as to whether there's anything else i could get her tested for? What's the normal practice in a case such as hers? Is x-ray/ultrasound really that expensive? Will i need a referral for this?
    Thank you!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've had no experience with this myself, but I found this site very useful when I was struggling with UTI issues with my cat: http://www.vetinfo.com/causes-kitten-diarrhea.html

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

If she wasn't wormed regularly while still with her mother then it's possible that she still has worms. At that age, unless you have a full worming history, I'd be worming her every couple of weeks with a gentle wormer like parazole alternated with something like milbemax for kittens. I had a foster puppy who was wormed 6 times over 3 months before she passed any of the worms that she so obviously had.

Did your vet suggest anything like kaolin/ pectin? It can be gotten in a paste form from your vets and is excellent for firming up stools but obviously is best used with vet supervision as so many things can cause diarrhea.

Also, how often and what tests were run for parasites? Giardia cysts for instance aren't shed constantly and can require several tests before they're picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

Ok, thanks for the replies. Yes, using the pectin paste but to no effect :( I'll check out the website, Blueprint...

hadook, what kind of worms did your puppy have and what were the obvious signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Roundworms I think.

She had the typical pot belly but skinny elsewhere look, dirty scurfy coat, runny-ish poo and generally wasn't thriving as she should have been.

• Advertisement

ok thanks :)

Apparently cottage cheese is supposed to be good for upset stomachs (in cats). Which got me into thinking about cheese in general - in humans cheese is said to cause constipation, so why don't we give it to our cats when they have diarrhea? The only reason i can think of is salt, of course... I wonder, is there any cheese out there that doesn't contain loads of salt?
    And by the same logic, shouldn't eggs be good for firming stools??? (boiled eggs...)
    Btw i remember i used to have a cat who was crazy about cheese :)

Advertisement