Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Economic writeoff - what to do?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I drive a Renault Megane 1.4 Classic 1999. Recently I was rear-ended, a slight collision, but the estimated value for repairs is close to €4K.

Today I was given a €1,500 estimate from the insurance assessor which means economic writeoff - which I'm not happy with. The car has just approx. 66K miles. The car also has sentimental value - it was my grandad's car who rarely used it, except to drive to church on a Sunday! The car is (well, was) in immaculate condition until the described incident. I'd never be able to replace the car with its like for the money's offered.

I'm at a bit of a loss at what to do and very frustrated. I have absolutely no responsibility for the accident yet I may end up losing my grandad's car while gaining one of inferior quality.

What can I do in this situation? I've demanded to have the car restored to it's former state and expressed my dissatisfaction at the solution offered. Do I have a leg to stand on? Can I bring my case to other domains, possibly seek legal advice, as a last resort.

If the insurance company (AXA in this case) get my car for €1,500 it's none other than daylight robbery.

Yours thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Unfortunately at this stage in the cars life that car is worth what it's worth to replace, not fix. These cars are going for anything between €750 and €2250 on Carzone. I would imagine an initial €1500 you could get €2000 if you haggle hard with the insurer. If you havn't sought a rental car as replacement and were reasonable with the insurer I would bring this up and seek more money for your car. Other options would be get a letter from a Renault main dealer for an estimate of the value of the car before the crash and present this, also check on Revenue.ie for the OMSP of the car using the VRT calculator. A family member had a similar problem years back and it was over relatively small price, kept haggling for a week or so and eventually got what they wanted.

If the damage is slight tell them you want to repair it, buy it off them for the salvage price (few hundred) and they give you the €1500. If it's minor as you say get it fixed. Everyone is happy. Get a quote off a well regarded bodyshop first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP you're getting a good deal for a '99 Megane - they're worth practically nothing nowadays. If you complaint to the insurance company they might up the valuation a bit - but 4k of repairs will never be covered. The sentimental value is irrelevant unfortunately. You could always keep the car and repair it yourself if you're so minded.

Advertisement