Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swearing?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

**** you *****

So I was just watching 'Come Dine With Me';(yes, I know I shouldn't have) and this one woman said that one bloke's swearing really ruined the evening for her.
    Thinking about it, I swear in front of girls (granted, half of them swear more than me.. normally to me) but have never, ever swore in front of an adult.

What's the AH's people's view on swearing - do you much and if so, do you limit/control it around certain groups of people?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I seen that. It's just a word. Get over it, bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah I seen that. It's just a word. Get over it, bitch.

She was a right moaning old hag to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have a mouth like a sailors parrot

i only hate it when i hear kids swear, one asked me how much jelly and icecream was in work on sunday. when i said €3 he said '€3!!! fuck that'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I ****ing swear I have had e ****ing nough of all the **** and all the swearing, god damn it...for ****s sakes anyways.....fing this and fing that, i agree, its a rant and in AH ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If it's done to the extent that it makes up most of the sentence it sounds terrible

my bros in the army and litteraly cannot string a sentence together without swearing, if he gets stuck mid-sentence he says 'fcukin', and he gets stuck alot coz he's as dumb as a bathroom with transparent walls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Swearing is when you take an oath. e.g I swear on the bible...

Saying words like fuck and cunt is called cursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Too me they're just fcuking words that have fcuking become part of my everyfcukingday speak.

Fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

brummytom wrote: »
    **** you *****

Thinking about it, I swear in front of girls (granted, half of them swear more than me.. normally to me) but have never, ever swore in front of an adult.
    /QUOTE]

I emphasised the word adult - do you mean you never swear in front of children or that you actually don't consider girls adults :D:P, be careful answering that one lad,

for me I'm trying to cut down my swearing everywhere, it got really bad there a few months ago so I started to watch what I say, but in front of children I really think about what I'm saying. I suppose I'm more careful in front of elderly people as well as their generation didn't/don't swear as much as my gen. does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I swear quite a lot.

I've a friend who hates it with a passion. She thinks it makes her more mature. I think it doesn't because there's a real "(s)he said a dirty word! :eek::eek::eek:" attitude in it. Which seems very childish to me.

There's nothing wrong with swearing really. Although I wouldn't in front of a child. Or someone I work for if I could help it.

I emphasised the word adult - do you mean you never swear in front of children or that you actually don't consider girls adults :D:P, be careful answering that one lad,

I'm 15 - when I say girls, I mean girls as in my peers - also 15 year olds :P So I suppose I swear in front of 'children' (being one) but not in front of ones any younger than myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Swearing is when you take an oath. e.g I swear on the bible...

Saying words like fuck and cunt is called cursing.

swear (swâr)v. swore (swôr, swomacr.gifr), sworn (swôrn, swomacr.gifrn), swear·ing, swears
    v.intr.1. To make a solemn declaration, invoking a deity or a sacred person or thing, in confirmation of and witness to the honesty or truth of such a declaration.
    2. To make a solemn promise; vow.
    3. To use profane oaths; curse.
    4. Law To give evidence or testimony under oath.

curse (kûrs)n.1. a. An appeal or prayer for evil or misfortune to befall someone or something.
    b. The evil or misfortune that comes in or as if in response to such an appeal: bewailed the curse of ill health.

2. One that is accursed.
    3. A source or cause of evil; a scourge: "Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race" (William Ewart Gladstone).
    4. A profane word or phrase; a swearword.
    5. Ecclesiastical A censure, ban, or anathema.
    6. Slang Menstruation. Used with the.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I swear like a motherf*cker. I really enjoy swearing. I especially like the 'C' word (in all it's forms) and the reaction it gets from some girls, the cunts.

Probably have Derek and Clive to thank for that;

• Registered Users Posts: 54,748 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hey, let's just use expletives instead of swear and curse?

Anyway I do swear or curse a bit, but not in certain
    situations. I say, know your audience and keep it
    to a bare essential, otherwise, it's actually quite a turn off

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

**** you *****

/QUOTE]

for me I'm trying to cut down my swearing everywhere, it got really bad there a few months ago so I started to watch what I say, but in front of children I really think about what I'm saying. I suppose I'm more careful in front of elderly people as well as their generation didn't/don't swear as much as my gen. does

I like what you did there, cutting down on the swearing, and your name is quietsailor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

swear (swâr)v. swore (swôr, swomacr.gifr), sworn (swôrn, swomacr.gifrn), swear·ing, swears
    v.intr.1. To make a solemn declaration, invoking a deity or a sacred person or thing, in confirmation of and witness to the honesty or truth of such a declaration.
    2. To make a solemn promise; vow.
    3. To use profane oaths; curse.
    4. Law To give evidence or testimony under oath.

curse (kûrs)n.1. a. An appeal or prayer for evil or misfortune to befall someone or something.
    b. The evil or misfortune that comes in or as if in response to such an appeal: bewailed the curse of ill health.

2. One that is accursed.
    3. A source or cause of evil; a scourge: "Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race" (William Ewart Gladstone).
    4. A profane word or phrase; a swearword.
    5. Ecclesiastical A censure, ban, or anathema.
    6. Slang Menstruation. Used with the.

First people start using "swearing" instead of "cursing", then it eventually progresses to the point where people are using "pussy" instead of "gee" and hiberno-english will be no more.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I swear like a motherf*cker. I really enjoy swearing. I especially like the 'C' word (in all it's forms) and the reaction it gets from some girls, the cunts.
    Yes,calling a girl a cunt still does have a big shock factor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't limit my swearing around anyone. If I want to curse I'll curse. If they don't like it they can fcuk off.

Yes,calling a girl a cunt still does have a big shock factor!!

Not in my experience :confused: Maybe Ireland's different?

Not in my experience :confused: Maybe Ireland's different?
    Well everytime I say it with a bit of anger they always end up like '''OMG,I cant believe you just called me.....that''

Try this,next time a girl says something that annoys you a bit just say ''Fcuk off ya cunt'' and see what happens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I used to have a habit of it, but it isn't really a part of my speech anymore.
    People are going to swear whether we like it or not though, and people have a choice of what language to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I swear loads and don't even realise I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well everytime I say it with a bit of anger they always end up like '''OMG,I cant believe you just called me.....that''

Try this,next time a girl says something that annoys you a bit just say ''Fcuk off ya cunt'' and see what happens!!

You should be the next James Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Grunting in Womens Tennis ruined Wimbleton for me
    THE GRUNTERS, IN DECIBELS
    • Lion's roar 110
    • Maria Sharapova 101
    • Monica Seles 93.2
    • Serena Williams 88.9
    • Lindsay Davenport 88
    • Venus Williams 85
    • Victoria Azarenka 83.5
    • Elena Bovina 81
    • Anna Kournikova 78.5
    • Kim Clijsters 75
    • Elena Dementieva 73

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I swear when needed, which lets face it these days it's needed to emphasise how much s*it this country is in among other things! I also swear in front of the parents but this was slowly introduced over the years. :D Never swear in front of kids, have replaced words with things like fudge etc when trying to make a point in front of people when kids are present. When I have a drink or two I tend to turn into a bit of a sailor tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I swear a lot, too much really. Girlfriend has a young son, so I do my best to never swear around him, but occasionally one slips out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I curse a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

phasers wrote: »
    I curse a lot

You mean like a witch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I find its not a big thing around here anyway. At a recent family wedding i said **** which my auntie's friends (english) nearly fainted! They couldn believe i said it. My aunt is only 3year older than me. Aunt then told me in england they dont say that much. I dont know, but the sister said its the only curse word bleeped out on big brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

I curse like a drunken sailor on shore leave,come october my niece charges us per curse in ascending order of value bitch would be 20c,fcuk 50c and so on.

Seeing last year she got over 100e and the majority of it was me I realised how bad I am.

Come January I am straight back at it again though.:)

Advertisement