Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaking fluid?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,

Just noticed this afternoon that there was some sort of fluid dripping from the inside of the wheel rim of my front right tyre, can't say I've noticed this there before but it continues to leak all afternoon. Any ideas what it could be, fluid looks very watery (no oil in it) ? Oh, '05 VW golf if that helps....
    I presume I need to get it checked out soon, in case its brake fluid or something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

could be water from your aircon which is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Didnt have it on at all today, would it continue to leak despite not using the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ado86 wrote: »
    Didnt have it on at all today, would it continue to leak despite not using the car?

Probably not. Is it still leaking? Have you opened the bonnet and checked the coolant and brake fluid levels?

It had stopped leaking, but I went out earlier to move the car into the driveway and it started to leak again. I opened up bonnet, both coolant etc levels all seem to be fine. I put tissue paper onto ground to see what colour fluid is, seems like a watery clear fluid. Definitely doesnt have any oily content to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ado86 wrote: »
    It had stopped leaking, but I went out earlier to move the car into the driveway and it started to leak again. I opened up bonnet, both coolant etc levels all seem to be fine. I put tissue paper onto ground to see what colour fluid is, seems like a watery clear fluid. Definitely doesnt have any oily content to it.

Did you check the windscreen fluid? The tissue smell of anything? Most car fluids smell of something. If it doesn't then it's probably water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's clear water then it's most likely from your air conditioner which is quite normal. Air con removes moisture from the air and drops it onto the ground.

No more fluid leaking overnight. Not air con related, havent been using it at all. If it was brake fluid leaking, would it stop leaking?? Going on long journey tomorrow but want to be sure car is safe for trip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Check your windscreen washer bottle to see if its leaking. Its hardly your air con if you didn't use it and coolent smells sweet and is usually blue/green or red in colour. Brake fluid/power steering fluid etc are all oil based so the only thing I can think of is a leak in your window washer bottle (if its on that side of the car).

Edit: - Just thinking out loud here.....does your car have a sunroof? Mabey the drain for that side is a bit blocked so water builds up and drains out slowely....but thats only if the car has a sun roof!!

No, car doesnt have a sunroof....
    I must check the windscreen wiper fluid, dont think thats it but sure I'll check that after work...thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Collar some kid in the neighbourhood and rub his face in it. If by the following morning he is ok it was only water.

If he dies overnight or erupts in a horrible rash bring the car to the garage before the long journey :)

• Advertisement

Really helpful, thanks!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Air con workings and washer bottle are on that side of the car. Usually you will get some condensation droplets from using the air con. But if it hasn't been used try the washer bottle. Try refilling it, being careful not to spill any, and see if it spills out of it's own accord. A stone might have hit something

Advertisement