Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subjects to choose when repeating

Options
  • 12-08-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

so, due to my lack of points I guess I'll have to repeat as I doubt I'll get offered anything on my CAO:(
    I don't want to do English,Irish or maths again. I got honors in Eng and Irish and passed maths so thats all I need.
    I want to do 7 subjects.
    The 4 I did this year and will do again are:
    French
    Bilology
    Ag. Science
    Music

so, I need 3 more.
    what subjects could I pick up in a year?
    I really want to do business - would that be possible?
    accounting?
    Geography?
    Japanese?

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Wizer

Can you really get to choose what subjects you go in for when you're repeating? I think ill most likely be repeating too, But my principle said that you have to redo all the subjects you picked last year including maths, irish, english etc. Or does it depend on which school you choose to repeat in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm going the 'tute it seems, dropping irish and maths too. Think I'll be taking classics and agricultural science, theyy seem to be handy enough:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Well I've read the Illiad and the Odyseey in my spare time so think I'll enjoy it no matter what; I'm such a nerd:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 xxcocochanelxx

Home EC. is always a good one for points, geography can be dodgy as the course is fairly long to do in one year but if you like it then its not a bad option! I've heard economics is pretty straight forward and if you learn well, then business would be perfect as its all theory and hardly any accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I have taught Classics, and i definitely advise against taking it as a repeat subject if you havent already done it for your first LC.

Course is very long and detailed, and the marking system expects a high standard. It would put you under a lot of pressure to complete in one academic year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ambyangel wrote: »
    so, due to my lack of points I guess I'll have to repeat as I doubt I'll get offered anything on my CAO:(
    I don't want to do English,Irish or maths again. I got honors in Eng and Irish and passed maths so thats all I need.
    I want to do 7 subjects.
    The 4 I did this year and will do again are:
    French
    Bilology
    Ag. Science
    Music

so, I need 3 more.
    what subjects could I pick up in a year?
    I really want to do business - would that be possible?
    accounting?
    Geography?
    Japanese?

any suggestions?

If you are repeating, just take 6 subjects instead of 7 and give yourself more time to study them. I can understand not taking English as the course is different every year but from what I remember Irish doesn't change so if you got an honour in it maybe it would be worthwhile taking it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Wizer wrote: »
    Can you really get to choose what subjects you go in for when you're repeating? I think ill most likely be repeating too, But my principle said that you have to redo all the subjects you picked last year including maths, irish, english etc. Or does it depend on which school you choose to repeat in?

Unless, you're brilliant at it or failed it miserably, DO NOT REPEAT English! You should really only repeat 6 subjects.

Your principal probably doesn't want you upsetting the timetable or roaming the corridors. You might just have to sit in on a class, where you don't do the subject, if there isn't a study area in your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What are strengths? Essay writing/ science/learning off a lot of information?

If you're good at writing essays then try religion, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to do in a year. Home Ec seems to be a nice subject, the food part appears really interesting, though some of the areas like marriage and taxes are a bit dull. I know if I were repeating I'd choose Home Ec but you mightn't like it.

How about chemistry? It's apparently quite easy to do in a year and if you like science you might really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm at a loss as to what to take here too guys. I failed maths so obviously I'm gonna have to take it again, but I'm not sure about everything else.

I'm great at English, but I'm dreading having to learn different stuff to what I did last year. I don't want to have to learn another play.

Also, another area I struggle with in English (and subjects that require a lot of writing in general) is the fact that I can't write fast enough. I missed out on the entire poetry section this year in HL English and one essay in HL history because I simply couldn't write fast enough in the time allotted. My handwriting is also deplorable because I have to do it quickly which is also working against me. Would there be any chance I could apply to use a laptop for those examinations? It'd be so much easier if I could, since I can type 70+ words a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Also, another area I struggle with in English (and subjects that require a lot of writing in general) is the fact that I can't write fast enough. I missed out on the entire poetry section this year in HL English and one essay in HL history because I simply couldn't write fast enough in the time allotted. My handwriting is also deplorable because I have to do it quickly which is also working against me. Would there be any chance I could apply to use a laptop for those examinations? It'd be so much easier if I could, since I can type 70+ words a minute.

Unless you have a (Diagnosed) medical issue that affects your ability to write, I'd say you have no chance of getting to use one.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Unless you have a (Diagnosed) medical issue that affects your ability to write, I'd say you have no chance of getting to use one.

Lame. ):

Thanks anyway Fad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lame. ):

Thanks anyway Fad!

It's pretty shít tbh, I can type a lot faster than writing too!

Fad wrote: »
    It's pretty shít tbh, I can type a lot faster than writing too!

It'd be great if you could do this sort of thing by request. Of course it's not to be. >.<

Back to the topic at hand though, would there be any different subjects I should consider picking up? For the LC I did:

3 Core
    French
    History
    Biology
    Music

I'd like to replace biology with something else since I was never really all that good at it, anything to bring my points up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

ya i did 3 core and

biology
    business
    german
    geography

not repeating biology.... should i do english i got a c3 but could have done better if my sisters communion wasnt on the same day as paper 2 so i rushed(i know my fault)

but the course changes alot

i got a b2 in ol irish so ill repeat that

can i repeat maths and irish and not english???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

It'd be great if you could do this sort of thing by request. Of course it's not to be. >.<

Back to the topic at hand though, would there be any different subjects I should consider picking up? For the LC I did:

3 Core
    French
    History
    Biology
    Music

I'd like to replace biology with something else since I was never really all that good at it, anything to bring my points up next year.

As Piste said,how about chemistry.Its actually fairly interesting(IMO).If you put the work into it you should be rewarded come results time.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

If you're any good at art what about that? the only thing you really have to learn off is the history, and you can narrow that down quite a bit.
    obviously if you can't draw don't do it, but it'd be easy to do in one year if you've any aptitude for art!

GA361 wrote: »
    As Piste said,how about chemistry.Its actually fairly interesting(IMO).If you put the work into it you should be rewarded come results time.

I'd be no good at chemistry, I just don't hold much of an interest in science subjects in general, so I'd rather avoid it.
    phic wrote: »
    If you're any good at art what about that? the only thing you really have to learn off is the history, and you can narrow that down quite a bit.
    obviously if you can't draw don't do it, but it'd be easy to do in one year if you've any aptitude for art!

Can't really draw for **** so that's out of the question. xD

Something in the humanities like religious knowledge or geography would interest me, but I don't know if I'd be able to handle it all in 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

I'd be no good at chemistry, I just don't hold much of an interest in science subjects in general, so I'd rather avoid it.

Can't really draw for **** so that's out of the question. xD

Something in the humanities like religious knowledge or geography would interest me, but I don't know if I'd be able to handle it all in 1 year.

first time i did geography i got a C1 with no work having picked it up in 6th year in october, this time i worked my ass off and got a B1, its an easy subject to get a C in but not quite so easy to get a high honour in. when i started in school this year the guidance councellor told me i woulndt get an A in it, apparently too many expect to get an A in it and its difficult? i dont know .anyway she was right:rolleyes: thought i might prove her wrong:D
    but anyway yep geography is an easy one to pick up in a year

leesmom wrote: »
    first time i did geography i got a C1 with no work having picked it up in 6th year in october, this time i worked my ass off and got a B1, its an easy subject to get a C in but not quite so easy to get a high honour in. when i started in school this year the guidance councellor told me i woulndt get an A in it, apparently too many expect to get an A in it and its difficult? i dont know .anyway she was right:rolleyes: thought i might prove her wrong:D
    but anyway yep geography is an easy one to pick up in a year

Could be even better for me since I got a B in HL Geography in the JC but just never kept it going onto LC.

I'm great at English, but I'm dreading having to learn different stuff to what I did last year. I don't want to have to learn another play.

4 new poets and you'd have to do Lear. Check what you did for your comparative against the 2010 list, you might be lucky. Also, you could do a crash course in Lear and maybe slot it into your comparative and use one of your texts as the single text. Again, check the 2010 list.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    4 new poets and you'd have to do Lear. Check what you did for your comparative against the 2010 list, you might be lucky. Also, you could do a crash course in Lear and maybe slot it into your comparative and use one of your texts as the single text. Again, check the 2010 list.

Any chance I can see what the 2010 lineup is gonna be for the LC? I didn't use Macbeth in my comparitive before, I used my two novels, so couldn't I just do that again?

Any chance I can see what the 2010 lineup is gonna be for the LC? I didn't use Macbeth in my comparitive before, I used my two novels, so couldn't I just do that again?

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=17216&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=17601&language=EN&link=&page=

If they're on the list, you can use them again. If not, you'll have to do new texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    BTW is the history course the same?
    the course is the same but the topic for the document based question changes every 2 years, i believe its the topic on northern ireland 1949-1992 that the document will be based on for next year!!

Advertisement