Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLL - Getting a recheck?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Me and a friend failed higher French... even though just 3% of people fail it.

Going to get it rechecked.

Anyone else?

Getting a recheck? 49 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Cheeky monkeyPisteStompboxmoneymantootyfluttyJSK 252budhabobironictoasterCyberWasteBack PrincephlegmsGavin "shels"Stev_oally_mulleoins2345ImJohnMichaelrshColmDawsonbythewoodsMrPain 49 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

your gonna hate me but if only 3% failed chances are thoes 3% were accurately marked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

No
    I'm going to view physics,chem,economics,French,Irish and English,and probably get physics,chemistry,economics and Irish rechecked,depending on what I see. Bye bye birthday money :( Meh,hopefully I'll be upgraded a little and get some refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

No
    I got a C3 in HL French... I totted up my tape test a while back and got around 75%, do you think its worth a re-check? I didn't think I did too badly but I must have done fairly badly in the written to pull my score down that much (my oral went well too).

Do you think its worth re-checking Art? A2 is 85-90 right? I would kill for an A1 but I know I should be happy with what I have. I just love art and would love to see if my exam could be worth the A1.

Also, I got a B2 in English, which i am quite happy with. But I've seen a lot of my friends who are usually A/B studentds do badly and I can't help but think that they were corrected harshly and wonder if my paper is also worth more?
    Am i just being selfish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

No
    I failed HL french aswell, when the answers from the tape were posted here I got like 70%!!!!
    I don't get how I failed - I never fail french!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

What are the statistics on rechecks being given a different grade?

I heard only 10% get changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

No
    will probably get economics rechecked...got a b1 and I've never got below an a1 in any of the mock exams i've done

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

I have some subjects I would really like to get re-checked, but the fear of being brought down in points might be too great...I'm on thin ice as it is:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

No
    dermo1990 wrote: »
    will probably get economics rechecked...got a b1 and I've never got below an a1 in any of the mock exams i've done

Exact same. I got a B1 and was slightly dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

No
    Mr.S wrote: »
    How does it work acutally, if you get brought down?

I mean, if you accept a course on Monday and you start it in September, the appeals results are only out in October. So say you where on a course that needed 300, which you got in the first place, but then droped to say, 280. would you be kicked out?!

Interesting point.

Anyone know the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I don't intend to.I will be viewing my scripts(I'm actually really looking forward to that strangely,especially history) and if I do feel hard-done-by I would get a recheck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

I got a B1 in History which I'm happy enough with, but I think I might view the script to see how it was marked and then maybe get it rechecked. I was kind of expecting an A2 and a guy in my class who always gets A1s got an A2. I know it's not a big deal but I put WAY more time effort into History than any other subject so I'd love to get an A in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

No
    Signature wrote: »
    Interesting point.

Anyone know the answer?

This could be a load of tosh and fipsy but apparently you can choose to reject the result of the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stylee

No
    Sweet wrote: »
    This could be a load of tosh and fipsy but apparently you can choose to reject the result of the appeal.
    I would love if this were true but I was thinking, say for a university that requires another language and I want to appeal my English exam? Would that mean I can't be accepted? I got a D2 in English and I think I did a lot better than that anyway so I desperately want to appeal (after I get some advice from a teacher):confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

No
    Is there anyone who thought the HL French paper was fairly easy this year, but then ended up with not getting what they thought they'll get at all???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

No
    I'm getting french rechecked too

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

No
    Got my points, and will be well over my course but defo going to look at 3 scripts. Got a B1 in music but expected an A, English got a C3- but never get lower than a B3/C1 and Biology got a C2 never botten below a B2!
    But I'm happy, if I'm not close to the higher grade I'll just leave it, but would like to see where I went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

No
    Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Is there anyone who thought the HL French paper was fairly easy this year, but then ended up with not getting what they thought they'll get at all???

Yep. I was very happy coming out of the French exam. Was hoping for a low B, or a high C. Ended up with a D2. Definitely getting it re-checked. This seems to have happened to alot of people so I'm fearful that they won't be brought up.

Might get history re-checked too. Got a C1 which isn't bad considering the paper didn't really suit me, but I'll see what my teacher thinks. My project was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

No
    Going to view all my scripts, and will more than likely be getting Chemistry rechecked.
    Got a B1, but it was the only subject I was convinced I'd gotten an A in (Whereas I got five As in subjects I didn't epect to. SIGH)

I got a B1 in Chemistry last year, and really thought I'd done better this time around. Gah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

No
    Just a question, do we get to bring marking schemes in when we're rechecking scripts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

No
    Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Just a question, do we get to bring marking schemes in when we're rechecking scripts

No, they'll be there, provided for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No
    Will probably get Economics rechecked. Got a C1 when I was expecting at least a high B. It seems to have been marked extremely hard. Two guys in my class that I've talked to failed and they aren't exactly what I'd call bad and another guy who put a fair bit of work in got a D1. I can't think how I'd have gotten over 30% of that exam wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

i think the prob with french this year ws that it was TOO easy and so they mus have marked it like a bee-atch....that was the general consensus from my class anyway cos everyone came out gloating about how east it was and then only 2 got a1's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 xxcocochanelxx

No
    Sweet wrote: »

I don't think so, as far as I know your appeal result is your final result. But now that I think of it, I read somewhere that you can go to the Ombudsman if you think the exam you appealed was marked unfairly..

As for the French, I'm appealing mine cos I got the same grade as last year (an A2) and will be trying to pluck the A1. I was so happy coming out of the exam I thought I definitly scraped over the 90%..but I think they just marked it hard cos it way too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joe-music-mad

No
    im appealing my eng result i got an a2 in the mox along with 2 others in my class that did HL but every1 in the class that did HL in the exam failed!! every1 apart from 1 guy got E's im going crazy!!! i didn get any course over it erytin needed eng iri and maths so i havnt got anything on my cao over it

/rant i kno sorry haha

and another sussy set of results where the art results there is only 4 ppl in the art class (takn as an xtra sub) and we all got c2's and there was 2 of us that where expecting an a or b an 1 who should of failed didnt do the practial part??

its really after pissin me off results day icon8.gificon8.gif and to top it all off my courses are already full so even if they do cop on they fkd up i cant get inta um in oct!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

No
    I'm getting Business rechecked. I studied the course so much that I don't see how I could have gone wrong. I got an A1 in the mocks and went down to an A2 in the real thing. It was the only subject I felt I'd definitely got an A1 in (funnily enough, I ended up with six A1s I wasn't expecting :P)

I know it's not a big deal, and it won't affect me for college, but I don't want to let the SEC away with screwing up correcting our papers. A lot of people miss out on a place in college just because the examiners are too thick to correct our papers properly. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joe-music-mad

No
    a great example of how stupid the people involved are take the eng exam
    haha what a huge f*** up that waspacman.gifpacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

im appealing my eng result i got an a2 in the mox along with 2 others in my class that did HL but every1 in the class that did HL in the exam failed!! every1 apart from 1 guy got E's im going crazy!!! i didn get any course over it erytin needed eng iri and maths so i havnt got anything on my cao over it

/rant i kno sorry haha

and another sussy set of results where the art results there is only 4 ppl in the art class (takn as an xtra sub) and we all got c2's and there was 2 of us that where expecting an a or b an 1 who should of failed didnt do the practial part??

its really after pissin me off results day icon8.gificon8.gif and to top it all off my courses are already full so even if they do cop on they fkd up i cant get inta um in oct!!!!!

Hi There!!
    I just noticed your comment there..Just to let you know that if you get the points for your course after the re-checks and you have all the requirements, etc..You are entitled to yoour place in college in oct..It doesnt matter if the course is full!! U have to be admitted this year!!

Advertisement