Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 1.6 octavia

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

1999 1.6 skoda Octavia with 79000 miles. Any issues/probs I should look out for?

looking at one this week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Check it's had it's timing belt done. It's every 4 years or 60k miles on those afaik, whichever is first. That engine is generally pretty reliable although the diesels are miles ahead for economy. If you have a link to the car throw it up

Looks tidy. At the time slx spec was top of the range for one of them. If the mileage is genuine and the timing belt (about 3-400 ish) done it looks like a decent buy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

fairly good price considering mileage etc.
    I own a 1.6 GLXi (petrol) Octavia (year 2000) and just pay attention when starting her up, turn off the radio and listen for any screeching noise from the starter!
    Mine does this but it's very intermittent and two independent mechanics couldn't locate the fault (maybe they are the fault;)).

It hasn't really affected the car (it still starts!) but just to keep it in mind.
    Oh, and check the electric windows, make sure they go up and down nice and smooth, a part in the regulator on my drivers side broke off causing it to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Check all elec windows - the regulators fail regularly.

Check bushings - esp ARBs.

Check for lumpy power delivery/inconsistent idle once engine is warmed - MAF problems common

Check instrument panel - can go down quite often.

And apart from that, check all the obvious stuff. Its a pretty rock solid car good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Had a '99 GLXi for 5 years from new, only gave trouble once, with one of the temp sensors on the engine, causing the engine to race while idle. Other than that a lovely car. Apart from the belt been done find out if the water pump was replaced, as this should have been done at the same time. At that price, looks like a good buy and should give you a few years trouble free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

mondymike wrote: »
    Alarm bells for me, can't think of any reason why the garage wouldn't have put it through the NCT and doubled the price when (if) it passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

well i am going to look at it tonite so i'll let you know how it goes

Saw this last nite. Good car but the instrument panel was down. common problem in these i believe.

Apart from this it was a great car, body was fine, no idling issues, air con was hot and cold. drivers rear door had an ill-functioning elec window, fuse i reckon.

everything else was fine. service history up until now. He's to get back onto me today about the dash, but i might have my own solution.

Window could be a regultor - couple of hundred squid. Was the dash clocking up mileage on test drive? Good it has service history. And for a grand seems good. Was the timing belt/water pump/tensioners done recently?

• Advertisement

is there a regulator on the rears? belt/pump done 12k ago, yeah all the digital read out workin, obc and odometer fine, just the needles(speed, rev, fuel, temp) fine otherwise

Advertisement