Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Files/folders created by cPanel

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Trying to install an app that ideally expects my site to be managed through cPanel. I'm currently on a dedicated server and just using Webmin. Tech support for the product has (somewhat ambiguously) said that if I have PHP, MySQL, Apache running then I should be OK.

I'm pointing the app at /var/www/<sitename>, but it keeps telling me that's the wrong folder.

I'm assuming there's something that cPanel creates when you manage a domain through it, which I'm missing. If I can fake that, I might be able to get the app working. But never having used cPanel, I've no idea what it actually does. Any suggestions?

(And yes, I have gone back to tech support, but no response yet, and I don't want to waste too much more time on it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

On my cpanel site the web root is "public_html/www"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ScumLord wrote: »
    On my cpanel site the web root is "public_html/www"

Thanks, the help did say "the folder is usually public_html" - maybe it's looking for a www folder within that, I'll see if that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

thats right. The web root is nearly always "public_html/www". Probably about 98% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Meh, that didn't work. Created the folders, even chmod'd them to 777, stupid thing still says I have the wrong folder.

Does cPanel maintain any kind of list of sites anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe try just "public_html/" the cpanel file manager says it's "public_html/www" but when I look at the folders using smartftp or the legacy file manager in cpanel it's just "public_html/" with no "www". "www" is a separate folder on the same level as "public_html" with a duplicate of all the contents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

try ScumLord's example. It should work. If not then your folder name is different. I mean either you or your hosting company have added a new folder and called it a different name.

Log into your cPanel and go to file manager under the files header and your see from the radio button "Web Root (public_html/www)" or so.

Advertisement