Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to study for repeat in Dublin

Options
  • 12-08-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A relative of mine hasn't done as well as expected and is looking at the dreaded repeat.

I repeated mine in the High School in Rathgar and rate it highly (no pun intended).

I hear that Leeson Street used to be good but don't know if it still is.

Anybody know of good places in the Dublin Area that focus on results?

Cheers,
    K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Think Rathmines College is a good bet, my mate repeated there and went up by a good load.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i started the year in rathmines, changed to leeson strt in january.
    i dont think i would have achieved the results i have if i had stayed there, its too much fun and too many distractions and tbh i wouldnt rate the teachers in rathmines highly but i suppose its really down to the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

My two cents:

At the end of the day, it's all down to the student. He/she can have the best teachers money can buy, but if they're not willing to go home and study each night, the teachers' effects will be nominal.

A lot of my friends who go to the 'Tute say it's like a pen, packed full of students who are driven stark crazy by the exams.

Apparently it's pretty impersonal as well, often with over 100 students in a class.

Also, I'm not sure how true this is, but supposedly the principal was fired after the 2008 results came out because only three peeps got 600.

It seems to have a great reputation, though.

Personally, I feel the best place to repeat would be somewhere nearby. Minimise travel time to maximise study time. Also, it gives you those extra few minutes rest in the morning ;).

You've already covered most, if not all (bar English), of the material, so it's just a brush and revision of the knowledge.

Just my opinion. :)

My two cents:

At the end of the day, it's all down to the student. He/she can have the best teachers money can buy, but if they're not willing to go home and study each night, the teachers' effects will be nominal.

A lot of my friends who go to the 'Tute say it's like a pen, packed full of students who are driven stark crazy by the exams.

Apparently it's pretty impersonal as well, often with over 100 students in a class.

Also, I'm not sure how true this is, but supposedly the principal was fired after the 2008 results came out because only three peeps got 600.

It seems to have a great reputation, though.

Personally, I feel the best place to repeat would be somewhere nearby. Minimise travel time to maximise study time. Also, it gives you those extra few minutes rest in the morning ;).

You've already covered most, if not all (bar English), of the material, so it's just a brush and revision of the knowledge.

Just my opinion. :)

yes its packed full of students but if you want a teachers help there is absolutely no problem getting it, i had teachers bending over backwards to ensure i got my grades. they do care but if you dont do the work then you will pretty much be disregarded.

for me i found the supervised study invaluablle, i wouldnt have been able to get all that study done at home.

it is a good school , but yes it is up to the student themselves, you can go in there and doss like anywhere else but if you really want to get your course you will put your head down and do the work.

personally i just feel that school offers better facilities for you to do that.

and the thing about the principals getting fired, i heard it was for another reason so whatever people say is probably not true anyway, mostly based on rumours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

the institute was the best choice i ever made, its true that it depends on the student, i found the support amazing, they have a good guidance councillor, the principal anne marie will always make herself available if you need advice & she really knows the cao/Leaving cert backwards. i didnt find it impersonal, i made an effort to get to know the teachers, in fairness i was there 2 years but i found that if you showed them respect they would always be there to help you if you were having difficulties.

in fairness a lot of people take advantage of the lack of strict supervision, it is fairly easy to skip classes and i definatly took advantage of that myself, i do think its a great place to go but i think with the introduction of fees almost certain for next year youd be better of trying to repeat on your own with grinds or somewhere cheaper, marino does a repeat year but im not sure if its any good

• Advertisement

leesmom wrote: »

and the thing about the principals getting fired, i heard it was for another reason so whatever people say is probably not true anyway, mostly based on rumours etc.

the principal didnt get fired, the two vice principals got fired caus they did f-all one spent his days strolling into class's looking for students who mitched a class & then hed crack a few jokes, the man was a joke... the other spent his days looking for smokers. the two of them did nothing at all & when the owners son took over he did a review and decided to fire them & bring in richard from 5th form to act as vice principal instead

i had those principals when i first did the leaving there and i hated them, i found them totally rude and unhelpful.
    i agree anne marie is helpful and she made a point of knowing people rather than the other two who still didnt know most peoples names at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I did 5th and 6th year in Leeson Street and only got 450 in the leaving this year. Having said that, the teachers and all the staff were amazing but Im a lazy fecker and did no study. It really depends on the student and how well she/he wants to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Saucey-Susie

I repeated in Leeson Street and I thought it was excellent! so so so good!! you get to pick what teacher you want for different subjects. I had 3 different teachers for English. 1 for poetry, 1 for essays and one for the novel and othello. I just think they do such a great job and their notes are perfect too, that you feel like you already know and understand most of what happened in class before you went home

you have a choice of days the same classes will be sitting on and times, so you create your own time table how you want, and any times when you dont have a class, just go to the study hall and get some work done

I always thought it depended on the student cos the teachers all teach the same thing and I couldnt understand the reason for going there, but it is excellent. I dont have a bad word to say about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 doodlebop

try the IOE. They seem to be good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am surprised the Institute is even running in such recessionary times.
    Pick a school with good support, the "tute" is not going to suit everybody.

Shedding a wad of cash =/= Instant success i'm afraid.
    Pick as local as possible, nobody likes a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks all. The guy is clever but a bit lazy. He needs the supervised environment. Problem with this approach is that when you go to college your double screwed given the freedom.

Naikon wrote: »
    I am surprised the Institute is even running in such recessionary times.
    Pick a school with good support, the "tute" is not going to suit everybody.

Shedding a wad of cash =/= Instant success i'm afraid.
    Pick as local as possible, nobody likes a commute.

you are right that spending money on a school does not guarantee of success, my last leaving cert there was a sham,but that was due to my own not givin a ****. if you are willing to put in the work, you will go far in that school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Is it not just 7 Grand for the whole year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're willing to put in the work, you'll go far in any school.

Choose somewhere local.

Swizz wrote: »
    Is it not just 7 Grand for the whole year?

idiot were in a recession

just??? say that to the parents who work their asses off to pay for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

idiot were in a recession
    Please do not address other users in this fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I highly recommend St Laurence College in Loughlinstown if you're anywhere near the N11 (decent bus service with the 145). It has a special "7th year" programme so you're in a class of repeats in a normal school. The teachers are by and large excellent + the difference is they really make you work unlike grind schools where its up to yourself really.

The big benefit is that its around €1500 including the repeat fee (around €500) + those science plus/whatever those other mags are called. If you ring up its a pretty serious interview they make you do so they know you're serious, but it works. They'l give you the last 2 years students first and repeat LC grades, average improvement is around 100.

I really recommend it cause I went from 440 to 550 taking up H.Ec. + Business (both As) from scratch + it never felt like I was killing myself at all. A guidance councillor goes through study plans etc regularly. Also its by far the best year I had in school, we'd all go out a fair few Saturdays + having just graduated I still have loads of friends from the year. 10/10

Advertisement