Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dollhouse Series 2 News

Options
  • 12-08-2009 10:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

Fox Staying out of Dollhouse, Whedon's Kitchens

Network will let Joss do what he does best with season two of rejuvenated show.

Let's recap Dollhouse's turbulent first season: The show gets announced with Eliza Dushku and Joss Whedon reuniting, fans hail it as the next big thing. Word leaks that there is trouble on set, the original pilot is scrapped, fans begin to worry. Studio executives ask for some retooling, which includes going in a more standalone episode direction, fans worry more. The first episodes come out, critics groan, fans suffer.

But then a funny thing happens: the show becomes much more watchable in its second half, and is somewhat miraculously renewed for a second season. A 13th episode -- "Epitaph One," which never airs on TV -- is included in the DVD set and is considered one of the series' best.

At Comic-Con this year, Joss Whedon told TV.com that Dollhouse was by far the hardest show he's ever done, and it's easy to see why -- too many cooks in the kitchen, too much control in the hands of the studio executives. But the tug-of-war that plagued the first half of Dollhouse's debut season won't happen this year, and that's a good thing.

"Joss will keep doing what he's doing," Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly announced at the TCAs, according to IFMagazine. "That's the beauty of Joss. Joss was pretty open about the hiccups. He started finding the show in the second half of the year. The fact that he found that, it's going to be much smoother sailing this year."

Translation: "We won't be f***ing with his show this year."

"I don't think he was having any fun and we were a big part of that, and ultimately once he hit his stride, I don't think we spoke," Reilly said.

With Fox out of the way, Whedon can continue with his vision, which sees Echo (Dushku) becoming more aware of what's going on and -- thankfully -- more active instead of emotionlessly passive (that was a big problem in the early episodes). And in the vein of the un-aired flash-forwarding "Epitaph One" episode, there will also be some glimpses into the future during season two.

The second season of Dollhouse was given the nod over a third season of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Did Fox make the right choice?

Source: http://www.tv.com/story/17141.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great news, but this belongs in the Joss Whedon forum...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Great news, but this belongs in the Joss Whedon forum...

:confused: There is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yup :)
    Moving there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Biggins wrote: »
    Translation: "We won't be f***ing with his show this year."

Amen to that. Hopefully the show will start strong this year and gain new viewers in the process. I recently watched the original pilot and enjoyed it more than the f****d up version that aired so no network executive meddling this time around can only be good...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

great news, i still didn't watch the unaired episode yet. I think i will now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Epitaph one gave me goosebumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Hi all,

I've just read that both Alexis Denisof (of Angel) and Summer Glau (of Sarah Conner) are both in the new series.

So there ye go

Joe Dunne
    Traditional Japanese Martial Arts in Laois

Yeah they are. I'm so excited for it. As far as I know Alexis has a multi episode arc. He appears to be some sort of foe to the dollhouse.
    What do we have, like a week to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

DeWitt wrote: »
    What do we have, like a week to go?

Just about, yeah. Season 2 premieres on Friday, the 25th on FOX (so Saturday the 26th is going to be a good day for us :)).

Last season I got up an hour earlier on Saturdays so I could watch it before work, looks like it will be the same this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It usually drops between 2-3am Saturday, depending on the speed of the scene folk.
    Can't wait!!!

Advertisement