Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brother got 305 points, wanted science, how likely is it?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

So my brother got his results - 305 points. Obv v unhappy :(. UCD Science was 305 last year, and prob going to go up this year. What are his chances? He really wanted it.

I was thinking that we get every single exam re-checked, though i dont know how much it is for each and surely he'll get another 15 or so points from that?

Also, it's been 6 or 7 years since i did the leaving. What's the deal with 2nd and 3rd round offers - do points come down for courses as people decide against doing them?

Lastly, im not sure what the story is here, but from the moment he finished his leaving, he had been turbo lazy. To the point where the parents were properly angry with him for not doing anything. Wouldnt even think about getting his driver theory test. I feel he was the same during the run up to the leaving, just lying around and couldnt get more than 1hr / 1:30 hrs study done before needing a massive break.

It turned out last week that he has glandular fever, albeit mild enough. Do you think that could have been a factor, and is it worth talking to the university if he's on the fence RE points after re-checks etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Hi there. Did your brother applied to see his scripts? If so, if he sees a red pen and a green pen on them, they have been rechecked so there is no point in looking at those.

Also, remember, your can move up as well as down pointswise. And if you think he'll get another 15 points, I think you might be fooling yourself. That would men what that three papers weren't marked in the right manner...

Re the fever, that only matters if you have a doctors note from the time of the LC exams methinks.

While science might go up, science in UCD has the largest intake of about 600 people or so. Take into account that points overall this year when down, who knows what might happen.

To be honest, there isn't much point in speculating and doing calculations at this stage -- it'll just instill either unnecessary worry or false hope -- so just wait until Monday to see. It'll be hard for him to wait, undoubtedly, but it's the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I'm not really up to speed on how the leaving cert operates theres days. So are you saying that exams get re-checked by default these days (as opposed to when i did it, people applied for a re-check)?

So offers come out on monday then? If he misses it, i dont think there's any other course that will catch him at those low points, so surely it's worth the re-checks in the faint hope he goes up a bit, rather than resigning to another year of the leaving cert straight away?

I'm not really up to speed on how the leaving cert operates theres days. So are you saying that exams get re-checked by default these days (as opposed to when i did it, people applied for a re-check)?

No, you've to apply. I'm not exactly sure what IrishKnight is talking about.
    So offers come out on monday then? If he misses it, i dont think there's any other course that will catch him at those low points, so surely it's worth the re-checks in the faint hope he goes up a bit, rather than resigning to another year of the leaving cert straight away?

Oh yah, definitely get everything rechecked after he checks his scripts. But remember, each recheck costs €30/€35 or something like that, so it's not cheap to get ~6 subjects rechecked (if his grade goes up in a particular subject, he'll get a refund of the money for that subject).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hi there. Did your brother applied to see his scripts? If so, if he sees a red pen and a green pen on them, they have been rechecked so there is no point in looking at those.

Also, remember, your can move up as well as down pointswise. And if you think he'll get another 15 points, I think you might be fooling yourself. That would men what that three papers weren't marked in the right manner...

Re the fever, that only matters if you have a doctors note from the time of the LC exams methinks.

While science might go up, science in UCD has the largest intake of about 600 people or so. Take into account that points overall this year when down, who knows what might happen.

How u know pts went down?

• Advertisement

No. It is a case that if the paper was borderline, for example, with me I was 2 marks away from getting a higher grade in physics, they normally recheck it to be sure. Thus two pen colours=rechecked. But you can get those rechecked if you want.

Re resitting the LC, did he fill out the level 7/6 section? As it is possible to do a level 7 course that is science related then move into level 8 science if I remember rightly.

Re points going down, I heard it on the news somewhere. First time ever...but having said that, it is early days yet, and I am working of what I heard on the news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

just heard on the radio teaching courses went up and science maths..etc went down,

he is better off waiting until monday if he can to see about the course, maybe if he views his scripts before the recheck because he could lose points if a correcter has gone easy on him.

he is better off waiting until monday if he can to see about the course, maybe if he views his scripts before the recheck because he could lose points if a correcter has gone easy on him.

+1 to that.

just heard on the radio teaching courses went up and science maths..etc went down,

Oh ye, what radio station? I'm going to have to give him some news cuz he's seriously upset! Better to have some hope than be depressed until monday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I'm sorry but I heard a while ago (before the Leaving Cert), that there had been a 60% increase in people applying for UCD Science.

There's no point in worrying now. All he can do is wait till Monday.

• Advertisement

I'd heard that too (well not 60%, but more interest in it), so was just wondering what actual trends the news was sayin.

just wondering what actual trends the news was sayin.

They expect that maths and science course will increase while courses dealing with property will drop hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I don't think the places get filled in Science most of the time so he shouldn't have anything to worry about. If he gets the matriculations, he should get in.

Fringe wrote: »
    I don't think the places get filled in Science most of the time...

There is about 600 places in UCD science. But having said that, the numbers of people applying for science has gone up...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I heard that science is on the increase, it very well could be since there's so much interest in it this year.

Still, no point in worrying about it now, just have to hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

My son is in the exact same boat. Got 305 points. Needs 320 for science in DCU or Trinity. His second choice is History. I've never done college so I don't understand the points system at all. Does he have a chance? :confused:

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

No, you've to apply. I'm not exactly sure what IrishKnight is talking about.

Oh yah, definitely get everything rechecked after he checks his scripts. But remember, each recheck costs €30/€35 or something like that, so it's not cheap to get ~6 subjects rechecked (if his grade goes up in a particular subject, he'll get a refund of the money for that subject).

When IrishKnight referred to the green and red pen,he meant that if it had both of them on it,it had been correct by 2 different people..You see lets say a examiner get 300 papers,he has to send a select few off to a supervisor.This supervisor then corrects this small number of papers to see if the examiner is doing his job properly.Not many would have this both of these on it though but if it does,theres really no chance of getting your points bumped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Jenroche wrote: »
    My son is in the exact same boat. Got 305 points. Needs 320 for science in DCU or Trinity. His second choice is History. I've never done college so I don't understand the points system at all. Does he have a chance? :confused:

Jen ;->

It's very unlikely that he'll get DCU or Trinity. :(

No hope for UD. UD science tends to be 100 points higher than other unis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

He should have tried NUIG, that would be another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Try the FETAC route - alot of the FETAC reserved places in Universities on Science courses aren't used up.

Students who do a PLC FETAC course in Laboratory Techniques (Code CASLT) and get a full award (ie pass all their 8 including mandatory modules) and get distinctions in the following modules can apply for the FETAC route to the relevant science courses in DCU - see http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/fetac_search2.php

The modules that a student needs to complete and ensure they get a distinction in are:
    • C20011 - Chemistry
    • C20006 - Biology
    • C20048 - Physics
    • C20139 - Maths
    • C20033 – Lab Techniques

Try the FETAC route - alot of the FETAC reserved places in Universities on Science courses aren't used up.

Students who do a PLC FETAC course in Laboratory Techniques (Code CASLT) and get a full award (ie pass all their 8 including mandatory modules) and get distinctions in the following modules can apply for the FETAC route to the relevant science courses in DCU - see http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/fetac_search2.php

The modules that a student needs to complete and ensure they get a distinction in are:
    • C20011 - Chemistry
    • C20006 - Biology
    • C20048 - Physics
    • C20139 - Maths
    • C20033 – Lab Techniques

Right, so ucd science is 385 points! What's the story with Fetac? Can you do it even if you didnt put it down on the cao? He lives too far away from DCU, what other colleges can it gain you entry into?

-also, that link doesnt work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

FETAC courses are offered in Further Education/PLC colleges which are outside of the CAO so you can apply to them now - there is no central applications systems application so you have to apply to each individual college.

Where are you based ? If Dublin then log on to www.cdvec.ie for a full list of FE/PLC colleges.

Best thing to do is find the degree you want to do on the CAO web site via the FETAC Information on the lefthand column - click on the Entry Requirements and find the degree course and the code for the FETAC course you need to do in order to progress. Then go onto FETAC and find out the name of the award and then find your nearest FE/PLC provider that offers that course.

Find one that offers the FETAC Award in Lab Techniques and check that they are doing the modules you need as listed in my first reply.

For UCD you need the following (from cao website) - to find out what the codes mean for CASLT go to http://www.fetac.ie/guide/CASLT.HTM
    or to http://www.fetac.ie/guide/level5_index_certs.htm for the other codes. Check with UCD how many FETAC places they have.

DN008Science8CASLT
    CELTX
    CITXX
    5 modules at Distinction Grade. The qualification must include:
    • C20139 Mathematics or OB3 LCE Maths

and 3 of the following 9 modules:
    • C20006
    • C20011
    • C20012
    • C20013
    • C20016
    • C20018